Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Forensic Psychology

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 OliviaSwan

Hi Kate and Kevin

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it and your comments have been very helpful.
    Best of luck with your job hunting Kate.

Regards
    Olivia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 KateOHara

I would really appreciate any info you have on getting on the doctorate. I plan to do the two year/three year top up when in the next year or two. Did you do the three years in Nottingham?

Funding wise I have heard of the NHS funding places, however, you will need to have been employed with them.

I contacted one of the course administrators and they were very helpful. Since your actually doing the course though any words of wisdom I know will be beneficial.

Thanks

Kate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Popcorn!

Hi!
    I'm trying to decide now whether or not to study Forensic Psychology. I find it's a very interesting subject and I've always had a nack at knowing if people were lieing to me or hidding something. But it is a big lifestyle choice so I don't what to do. And I've heard it's hard to do anything really in Ireland.
    Any tips?
    Thanx Pauline

• Registered Users Posts: 7 GlenmoreMark

@popcorn what I would say is if you are seriously thinking about becoming a Forensic Psychologist the key is whether you are able to move to the UK to get experience to obtain chartership with the BPS. In the prison service although the training might be very different, the difference in the work between clinical, forensic and counselling psychology is negligeable. Personally if I was in Ireland and starting out in the field I would take the training route that best suits my circumstances and go from there. You can seek work in a forensic setting as a clinical or counselling psychologist.

• Advertisement

@Mark, Thank you very much for the tip I will try and get my degree here in Ireland and if I have to I'll go to UK aswel. How long would I have to spend in the UK though?

You would have to do stage 2 of the BPS qualification in the UK. The website is http://www.bps.org.uk/careers-education-training/society-qualifications/forensic-psychology/qualification-forensic-psychol. It does say the QFP (Stage 2) involves at least two years of supervised practice in which you will be expected to demonstrate several core competencies. 2 years would be good going and would require a job with a broad role to cover the competences. there are recent doctoral programmes in the Uk that cover stage 1 of the BPS qualification (i.e. MSC) plus stage 2. To me this option has a greater appeal than doing an MSC and then having to find work that would offer a broad enough range of work to meet all the competencies. But that depends on your willingness to go for longer to the UK. I found one doctorate in nottingham. http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/iwho/news/newdoctorateannounced-dforenpsy.aspx

You have been a real help Mark, thank you very much! I'm really glad for your advise, I wish you luck in your goals :)

No problem at all, happy to help,

Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 23 elfan

The two forensic psychology doctorate programmes in the UK are in Birmingham and Nottingham. In Nottingham there is provision to skip the first year of the course and go straight onto year 2 if you already have an MSc in forensic psych (this is what i did). Where I am working now there are trainees from Birmingham and i do notice quite a few subtle differences between the two courses. The most significant one for some people would be the cost (Brum is approx 1k more expensive per annum). I think the reason for the differences is because the Birmingham course was set up primarily to adhere to the BPS core roles because they had jurisdiction over psychology in the UK at the time. The Nottingham course is more recent and was set up to adhere the the HPC standards of proficiency as they now have jurisdiction over psychology in the UK. There is not too much difference but I suppose it is something to be aware of for anyone contempating going down this career path. I spent 12 months in the UK on placement but now I get to return to Ireland for the next 12 months of placement. I think this is a sign that forensic psychology is slowly starting to be recognised more in Ireland and there may well be greater opportunities to work in forensic psychology in the future :) To the people who sent me pms I have now replied to all of them - sorry about the delay I am not on the site that often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 NaunaG

Hi I seen your reply on forensic psychology which was a very good help to me, and I am very interested in studying it when I start collage in September. But I a hoping you can help me with a few questions , is there any difference between criminal psychology and forensic psychology? and what colleges offer this course in Ireland ? I am finishing secondary school this year and am very interested in studying this in collage but am not sure where I will have to go to find a job in it . If you can help in any way I would really appreciate it. Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

NaunaG wrote: »
    is there any difference between criminal psychology and forensic psychology? and what colleges offer this course in Ireland ?

This might answer your first question, and reading the threads on this subject might answer your second.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mary J.

Hello,

I have just come across this thread and relaise that the last post was easlier this year. I was therefore wondeirng to anyone pursuing a career in forensic psychology whether they were successful in obtaining a job in Ireland. I am doing my stage 2 training at the moment in the UK however I would love to get a job in Ireland when I qualify, however I never see any advertised for the prison service or the central mental hospital. Can anyone advise?

Mark I understand that you have successfully obtained a forensic psychology qualification and are working in Ireland. Is there any pointers you could provide?

Thank you in anticipation,

Mary

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Hi Mary J, look at current affairs: public service, HSE and recruitment. I think you'll find we're all operating with reduced staff and (according to our Minister for Health) still providing the same level of service. :rolleyes:
    No idea when we might start recruiting again...anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mary J.

Thanks JuliusCaesar, yes if anyone has an update or could offer any insight it would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kveroni

Hi everyone,
    I am a qualified psychologist from Argentina willing to work as such here in Ireland. I’m 29 years old, living in Limerick since June 2010. It took me all this time to settle myself in Ireland, but now I feel confident enough to start moving forward and apply for accreditation of my qualifications with the PSI.
    First of all please let me tell you that the psychology career in Argentina takes 5 or 6 years, depending on the university where you attend the courses.......

Mod Edit: too much detail, beginning to look more like a CV. JC

I’ve choose to focus my training on the Forensic area.

While you are completing your mandatory amount of courses per year to complete a full academic year, you can also attend post graduated courses ....

In my case I’ve done 4 of this extra courses, all of them in forensic psychology

I completed an internship in the Legal area of the Psychology department, University of Cordoba, Argentina, within the framework of the Youth Probation Service.

Sorry if I’m making this too long, but I’ve been looking for advice and I found it very difficult so far. I understand that a degree here in Ireland is quite different than what I’ve done.
    In Argentina for instance, this degree enables me to start working not only in the Forensic area but also in counseling/psychotherapy or even in the clinical area, of course always under supervision.
    I haven’t registered myself with the statutory body in Argentina, because shortly after graduating I decided to move to Ireland.
    I’m afraid that if I apply my documentation to the undergraduate department at PSI I’ll get them validated as an Irish degree level, which would be a bit disappointing considering I’ve been in college for almost 8 years.
    I have sent all my documents to UL and they have told me I can join their courses directly at a master’s level. But then this brings me to another question: what master to do? Especially considering the lack of Forensic related courses. And even if there was a course on this area, then where will I be able to work as a Forensic psychology in Limerick? Everything I’ve read about being a psychologist in Ireland seems to be for Clinical or Educational kind of training…

I will welcome opinions, suggestions, anything that might give me an idea of where am I standing with all the above.
    Thanks a lot on advance for taking the time to read and answer.
    Kind regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kveroni

I forgot to mention that it is my first time posting here in Boards.ie. Hopefully i've done it correctly. Please let me know if this is not the way of doing so.
    Regards

Mary J. wrote: »
    Hello,

I have just come across this thread and relaise that the last post was easlier this year. I was therefore wondeirng to anyone pursuing a career in forensic psychology whether they were successful in obtaining a job in Ireland. I am doing my stage 2 training at the moment in the UK however I would love to get a job in Ireland when I qualify, however I never see any advertised for the prison service or the central mental hospital. Can anyone advise?

Mark I understand that you have successfully obtained a forensic psychology qualificationisu and are working in Ireland. Is there any pointers you could provide?

Thank you in anticipation,

Mary

Mary - only just seen your question sorry - no change in the prison service - there have been no further posts advertised in a while. Recruitment has ceased with budget cuts and they're not replacing anyone who leaves. Any posts that have been advertised in last couple of years have been clinical. Usually advertised in Psi. There will more likely be trainee placements until recruitment starts again. You're on the right track getting your stage 2 completed so you are ready to go when jobs advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Hi, I am currently writing a careers report on Forensic Psychology for Uni and am wondering where people are coming up with the figure of 4 forensic psychologists working in Ireland?
    I'd like to use the stat in my report but of course I can only use and cite a valid course.
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It's a figure that's been around for a while. Have you thought about contacting the forensic division? http://www.psihq.ie/psi-division-forensic-psychology

Or have you Googled 'forensic mental health Ireland', you get a few hits that may help, but mightn't have the actual figure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement