Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Educational Psychologist in Dublin/Kildare Area

• 19-02-2008 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi, I would like to get my child assessed and after seeing some reports from edu psychologists that friends have had - one child - 3 differing reports .. I feel a recommendation might help.
    Anyone help with this? At a cost of 500 euros would rather not choose the wrong one.
    All replies gratefully accepted. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

hi, I would recommend a clinical educational psychologist .
    I know if the child is in school they are entitled to a free repport through NEPS, but the wait is mad.
    could you come up to Dublin, we have a Dr , of clincial psychology coming to give a talk about ADD/ADHD in adults on April 15, she is based 6 months in Ireland and 6 in the US.
    Shes very good.
    If thats a help to you.
    I dont know what age your child is but they can get a assessment of needs done byt he HSE if under 5.If you want have a look at www.adhd.ie , for more info on assessments.
    HTH
    Cathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Roanpsych

Hi Hairband;

I can recommend myself! I'm a licensed educational psychologist specializing in autism/Asperger's syndrome, attention disorders, learning difficulties, and general cognitive, academic, and behavioral assessments. Have several individuals and organizations who can vouch for my assessments, integrity, and quality of assessments. I can send you a sample assessment if you like via email. My email address is: roanpsych@gmail.com

James Roan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

Roanpsych wrote: »
    Hi Hairband;

I can recommend myself! I'm a licensed educational psychologist specializing in autism/Asperger's syndrome, attention disorders, learning difficulties, and general cognitive, academic, and behavioral assessments. Have several individuals and organizations who can vouch for my assessments, integrity, and quality of assessments. I can send you a sample assessment if you like via email. My email address is: roanpsych@gmail.com

James Roan

If you really are an E.d Psychologist why are you not a member of the NEPS?? . Are you a member of the Psychological society of Ireland?? . If yes please include your ID membership number. And where you are located? Also you should comprehend that schools are don’t want parents getting them completed privately. Without trying the NEPS first

Hairband wrote: »
    Hi, I would like to get my child assessed and after seeing some reports from edu psychologists that friends have had - one child - 3 differing reports .. I feel a recommendation might help.
    Anyone help with this? At a cost of 500 euros would rather not choose the wrong one.
    All replies gratefully accepted. Thanks.

Is your child in national school or secondary school??? If yes I would strongly advise you to contact the school which you child is receiving education from, you should contact the Principal of that school. For detail on getting a member of NEPS to assess your child. The NEPS are the National Educational Psychological Society of Ireland. And it is free of charge. The body member ''NEPS'' is a member body of the department of education ion and science in Ireland. For the person who has let the first. And for the Waiting list. It is no a extensive waiting list in every school in the country i am aware of

www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?maincat=33437&pcategory=33437&ecategory=33437&sectionpage=27692&language=EN&link=&page=1

Brooke01 wrote: »
    If you really are an E.d Psychologist why are you not a member of the NEPS?? . Are you a member of the Psychological society of Ireland?? . If yes please include your ID membership number. And where you are located? Also you should comprehend that schools are don’t want parents getting them completed privately. Without trying the NEPS first

Hi Brooke;

Yes, I am an educational psychologist registered in the U.S., and therefore not part of the NEPS system. Cathy, from the previous post knows of me, although we have yet to meet! I am not a member of PSI.

Regards

• Advertisement

Schools can only access 1 NEPS assessment per 50 children in the school.Plus I think its money well spent to be honest.
    I didnt know Jim was on boards.
    From what I know a report has to be done by a clinical psychologist, a NEPS approved psychologist or a psychologist which is part of a multy disapinary team ,such as Mater CAMHS.
    cathy

Hi Cathy;

I'm sorry. I though Mom was looking for a private assessment. It varies from place to place so it's important to know first what the Dept. of Ed. will accept.

And bye the way, "Hi!"

Regards,
    Jim

Are you holding a Ph.D in psychology roanpsych

Hi Brooke;

I do not. I have a Masters of Education (M.ED.) in school psychology (3 years vs. NEPS 2 years) and an M.Ed. in Adult education with 10 years experience in consulting and assessment in autism and Asperger's syndrome. Whatever you do, I'm happy just to offer advice as well. Take care and have a good weekend!

Kind regards,
    James

• Registered Users Posts: 1 armydave

Hi
    I know I am very late posting a reply as this was first posted in 2008. Can I just say we got James Roan twice to assess our child in Kilkenny over the years (aspersers child). We got a 33 page report which was extremely detailed; if you want a report that assesses the child in detail my experience is you will go a long way to get such a report. He is top of his field and a gentleman. My experience is I would highly recommend him.

• Advertisement

HI ARMYDAVE, CAN i ASK WHAT HIS FEE WAS , PM IF YOU WANT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

All recommendations, fees etc in PM only.
    JC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement