Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

500GB Passport External Harddrive.

• 25-12-2010 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭

Picked one up last night for myself, better than paying €87 for.
    St.Stephen's Day sales were up on Pixmania soon as the clock hit 12, funny stuff!

Anyway, it's a handy piece of equipment, and with 46% off, it's even better.
    Delivery and everything to Ireland = €46.53.
    Option of an additional Zen Cover for €3.47, covering it for two years, any problems etc :)

I'm happy with it anyway, will serve my storage demands well.
    And don't go hijacking this thread with links to Chinese Ebay sellers, selling the same thing for €20 delivered! :rolleyes:

Packard Bell 500GB External Harddrive

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

ooh that looks nice mate thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

If you dont get the zen cover its only €46,53. Better again, just so people know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Is that an Irish company or a shadow? Good find but trying to buy Irish these days if possible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Is that an Irish company or a shadow? Good find but trying to buy Irish these days if possible!

French, but I've spent about €3000 with them in the past few years... Be aware if your buying electrical goods, everything comes with a european plug on it but they usually supply the UK mains converter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

stick-dan wrote: »
    If you dont get the zen cover its only €46,53. Better again, just so people know.

Yeah actually, good man, will stick that up.

I'd advise getting the Zen Cover though, I did anyway, just to be on the safe side :)

As for Pixmania, I've had good experiences with them so far.
    Bought this laptop, memory cards and cameras from them before, all top notch.
    Only thing is, make sure you do a vigorous Google search for the item you want, before buying anything off them. Also, do a quick search for coupon codes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Just ordered one, thanks OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭cdemt1

Harvey Norman Outlet in Dundalk has a 500GB (can't remember the brand) at €49 (slightly dearer but good for a bricks and mortar operation).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Doocey wrote: »
    I'd advise getting the Zen Cover though, I did anyway, just to be on the safe side :)

I'd advise strongly AGAINST it tbh!

Western Digital have a fantastic RMA procedure if it does go tits up, Pixmania have an infamous returns department, and paying extra for cover isn't going to improve that!!!

/edit
    Ignore that actually, just spotted that it's a Packard Bell one:confused:
    I'd still strongly advise on cutting Pixmania out of the RMA process altogether...

Ah well, I'd much rather have some sort of cover for 3 quid than nothing :)

Welcome to anyone who ordered! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 mabozarichie

Eh... Why did the OP call this a 'Passport' drive :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Is this AC powered or powered from the USB ? No sign of an external power supply in the pictures but it's not labelled as portable

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Is this AC powered or powered from the USB ? No sign of an external power supply in the pictures but it's not labelled as portable

USB powered.

No AC anything.
    Your usual portable harddrive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

no stock

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Eh... Why did the OP call this a 'Passport' drive :rolleyes:
    I guess he might think that is the actual term for the smaller 2.5" based external drive.

I thought it was going to be a western digital too (who do have a model range called passport).

I wouldn't put any really important data that I really needed backed up on a packard bell TBH.

Apologies lads, meant to say "Portable" but my mind was elsewhere.
    Thanks for the appreciation mabozarichie anyway. :rolleyes:

Packard Bell are grand, it'll do the job like any other.
    Western Digital are the main men alright, but for that price you can't go wrong.
    Just though I'd let people know of it's price, bit of a deal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Anyone received theirs yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Mine arrived this morning, postie just left it on the doorstep :(. Their packaging leaves a lot to be desired but thankfully it works.

Thanks again OP.

Advertisement