Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Thank you :)

Tues 22nd Sept - w/u, 17mins@7:05 off 4mins, 2*10min@7:05,3min rec, c/d

Another early morning for this session. Wasn't sure what to think of it when I seen the 17mins 1st, but once I got into a rhythm it was quite comfortable. Followed on with the 2*10 mins, no real issues with it thankfully.

Weds 23rd - Easy miles
    46:20 - 4.94mi - 9:16min/mi

Early morning run, nothing really to report.

Thurs 24th - 20min easy, 20min easy/mod, 20min mod, c/d
    1hr - 6.81mi - 8:49min/mi

Got out early for this run, couldn't avoid the rain but it wasn't too bad. I am really enjoying these runs.

Fri 25th - W/U, 6*2min hills@5k effort, jog rec, c/d

Not gonna lie seen this on my weekly plan & was fully convinced S has made a mistake(not that it happens often:P) then when he said nope they are correct I was fully convinced he was trying to kill me:eek:
    Left my daughter & grandson at the playground & went off on my w/u. Got to the bottom of the Khyber & again I didn't program this into my watch & had my 6 stones with me(all slagging welcome;) ) I set off at the perceived effort of 5k pace, as usual probably a bit too fast starting off. Passed by the bench I used to run to for 45sec hills, then the yellow flowers/weeds that I used for my marker for the 1min hills, Jaysus 2 mins running on a hill is the longest 2mins ever! Marked my spot for finishing after my 1st one & threw my stone down, jogging slowly back for the next rep. The 1st 4 were ok, manageable but keeping the efforts as consistent as possible. 5 was tough & 6 well, I think I wanted to die:pac: I used my little arms & legs a lot more for the 6th one trying to keep the pace going. Was enjoyable in a weird kind of way!
    Set off on my C/D & joined my daughter & grandson in the playground before the rain started. He seen me coming & screamed yay nanna with the biggest smile ever...melts my heart:D

Sat 26th - Easy miles

50:58 - 5.35mi - 9:31min/mi

I had a lie in & went out for this run at about 11am. The sun was shining & I really enjoyed these easy miles

Sun 27th - 80mins easy, 15mins@7:15, 15min easy
    1:48 - 12.12mi - 8:58min/mi

Went out to the PP early for this run early, was ready to go at about 8am. I parked somewhere different as I like mixing up the routes. It was absolutely freezing out. Sunny but very crisp, frost all over the grass. I wore my long sleeve Liverpool top & gloves for the very 1st time in ages, wasn't tempted with the leggings just yet;) It easily took about 20 mins for my fingers to have any kind of feeling in them! The 1st 80mins easy absolutely flew by, the sun was very low so a bit annoying as it was in my eyes a lot. The park was buzzing with runners out early. It was very hit & miss as to who smiled/nodded back, ah in general I think most responded;) The 15mins at pace started just as I came to the Castleknock gates, really enjoyed this especially in the middle of my long run, reminded me of my marathon plan last year & doing a few miles at pace during the really long runs. It really helps the time fly by. Finished off with the 15mins easy. The park was fairly packed at this stage & it had gotten a good bit warmer too. Another really enjoyable Sunday morning in the park.

43.2miles for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I've been trying to get my head around the stones thing. Do you carry 6 on the first rep, drop one when you finish, carry 5 back and then repeat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I've been trying to get my head around the stones thing. Do you carry 6 on the first rep, drop one when you finish, carry 5 back and then repeat?

Surely not. Has to be have them all at start, take one each time and discard at top. If its your suggestion, I'd have to go out and watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

It was very hit & miss as to who smiled/nodded back, ah in general I think most responded;)

I'll have my Lainey antenna on in future. :pac:

• Advertisement

Surely not. Has to be have them all at start, take one each time and discard at top. If its your suggestion, I'd have to go out and watch it.

I thought exactly the same but the description had me doubting myself. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'll take the blame for this one! In trying to get a focus on effort I suggested doing the hills without recoveries and paces programmed in the watch. E said she'd lose count of them so I suggested dropping coins or stones after each one. I'm not sure if they are all carried from the beginning :confused:

Jesus who knew carrying stones could lead to such confusion;)

So Saturday I had 6 white stones, 3 in each of my shorts pockets, and as I finished my rep I dropped a stone :D

Mystery solved :D

You slagging me :eek:

I'll have my Lainey antenna on in future. :pac:

Good :)

• Advertisement

You slagging me :eek:

Don't mind me, I'm stoned!

Don't mind me, I'm stoned!

Don't give up your day job ;)

So Saturday I had 6 white stones, 3 in each of my shorts pockets, and as I finished my rep I dropped a stone

Would it not make more sense to leave 6 at the start point and bring one each time? This is fun :)

Would it not make more sense to leave 6 at the start point and bring one each time? This is fun :)

Why does that make more sense? I like to do things my way :D

I'm usually up for a bit of stick but this is getting heavy now...

I'll get my coat hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Not that I'm not impressed by the stone idea but I'm pretty sure you can set up laps on your watch without paces.

Lots of great work being done here. It's great to follow along.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Not that I'm not impressed by the stone idea but I'm pretty sure you can set up laps on your watch without paces.

Lots of great work being done here. It's great to follow along.

Thanks a mill, thankfully enjoying my training:)

The main aim of doing this without the watch is to try reduce my dependency on it, without the constant numbers dictating to me if the session was a success or a failure, which I tend to do at times. I am really enjoying it this way & working on the perceived effort I'm running at based on how my body feels. It's nice not to be tied to the watch sometimes;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Then she'd have to bend down to pick them up! I think it's a genius idea as is, might rob this myself especially the idea of not relying on the watch for these!

Then she'd have to bend down to pick them up! I think it's a genius idea as is, might rob this myself especially the idea of not relying on the watch for these!

Exactly! Now in fairness you would swear by the way the lads are saying it that I am carrying 6 rocks with me up the hill when in fact they are just six little stones/pebbles:p

Men are just always so dramatic;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Thanks a mill, thankfully enjoying my training:)

The main aim of doing this without the watch is to try reduce my dependency on it, without the constant numbers dictating to me if the session was a success or a failure, which I tend to do at times. I am really enjoying it this way & working on the perceived effort I'm running at based on how my body feels. It's nice not to be tied to the watch sometimes;)

Ah getcha! I'd assumed you were still wearing your watch :P A previous DCM mentor used to refer to these as "naked" runs :D

Tues 29th Sept - Easy miles
    50:36 - 5.28mi - 9:35min/mi

A chilly early morning run.

Weds 30th - W/u, 6*800m@6:30/35 off 2min, 4*150m@6:00, off 200m, C/d
    46:20 - 4.94mi - 9:16min/mi

6:33, 6:36, 6:34, 6:37, 6:37, 6:38 - 5:55, 5:57, 5:39, 5:44

I didn't manage to get out for this session till the evening, it had been a long hard day but I hoped that would push me to get the session done well!
    The 1st 4 reps were comfortable, working hard but not struggling. The 5th got tough towards the end but pushed on. The last one was tough, had to dig deep for this... was thrilled to complete this session confidently.

Thurs 01st Oct - V easy miles
    49:16 - 4.89mi - 10:03min/mi

Really enjoyed this run. It was decided that as I had ran my session late yesterday evening & I was heading out so early for this that I should run very easy miles. I got a good few waves & smiles from people passing, which in return made me smile too...it's the little things:D

Fri 2nd Oct - Easy miles
    51:25 - 5.32mi - 9:39min/mi

Some more nice easy miles after work.

Sat 3rd Oct - W/u, 20mins@7:10, 5mins easy, 15mins@7:10, C/d

7:09, 7:11

Once the W/U was done I eased into my 1st 20mins @pace. This felt comfortable once I got into it. The 5mins easy went by quickly enough. Started into the next 15mins @pace & felt comfortable again but then I went into a strong enough breeze. I wasn't too bothered by it as I knew the efforts were the same as they had previously been on the 20mins @pace.

Sun 27th - Easy miles
    1:35 - 10.15mi - 9:26min/mi

Seen the rain out the bedroom window & decided to stay in my cosy bed for an extra little bit, which turned into 2 hours later as I got stuck into watching the women's marathon. Sara Halls sprint finish to place 2nd is the stuff dreams are made of!!! (well my dreams anyway) It was brilliant to see the battle & the competitiveness :pac:
    I set off for the PP & it was lashing rain when I got there! I put my cap on & long sleeve top & off I went. Was happy to pass by a good few other runners & know that I wasn't the only mental one:p It was actually a nice enough run till I got to about mile 7 & the wind just seem to pick up out of no where, then I felt really cold & the rain felt heavier & sore because of the wind! I was soaked to the skin & my runners were squelching! I was looking forward to getting to the car to dry off & heat myself up! Finished the run off strong feeling good about my weeks training!

44.1miles for the week
    185.4miles for Sept

• Advertisement

Tues 6th Oct - W/u,13mins@7:00, 5min jog, 6*600m@6:50,200rec,5min jog, 15mins@7:10 C/d
    6:45,6:49,6:50,6:45,6:54,6:48

I debated when would be best to get this run done. I knew I would be putting myself under a little pressure in the morning so waited till I finished working. With the w/u done I settled into the 13mins nicely which led onto the 600m, enjoyed the bit of speed with these hitting the efforts nicely. Overall a nice session to have done, happy with how it went.

Weds 7th Oct - Easy Miles
    45:51 - 4.73mi - 9:42min/mi

Again was after work for this run but didn't mind as it was a short enough one.

Thurs 8th Oct - Easy miles with a little pick up...
    1hr:13 - 8.32mi - 8:49min/mi

Early morning run feeling quite fresh. Took it easy for most of it but as the legs felt good I decided to pick up the pace slightly. Nice enjoyable run.

Fri 9th Oct - W/u, 7*2mins hills@5k effort, C/d

Set off to the PP for this after work, had my 7 white stones pre gathered from my garden :D Set off on my w/u & it looked like a nice evening for running! As soon as I got to the bottom of the Kyber the heaven's opened!! I set off for my 1st rep, rain in my face & pushed on with the 5k effort. Tried to keep as consistent as possible & was happy the pace/effort didn't fall behind too much towards the end. 1st rep done, 1st stone placed on the ground :pac:
    After it had previously been questioned (my method of carrying ALL the stones at once) I began to wonder how how much weight they were unnecessarily adding to me, would I be so much faster without them, was I putting myself at an unfair disadvantage :eek: Who knows, maybe next time I'll try it;)
    The reps went by quickly enough, each one as good as the last. I got a good bit of encouragement running up the hill at speed especially from a cyclist coming in the opposite direction, giving me a very enthusiastic double thumbs up!! The last 2 were tougher than the others, I think I actually felt a bit sick at one stage but knew it would pass on my jog back down, I wasn't killing myself with them but obviously after 6 of them my body was getting tired. The last one I pushed towards the end, great for the mind, pictured the end of a race & was very happy to see it finished!
    Thankfully the rain had well stopped & I was drying off so I was able to enjoy my C/d.

Sat 10th Oct - Easy miles
    40:35 - 4.22mi - 9:36min/mi

Took it very handy for this run as my session had been late yesterday evening.

Sun 11th Oct - 75 Easy miles, 20mins@7:10, 15mins easy
    1:50 - 12.34mi - 8:55min/mi

Had one too many drinks last night (which in itself is nothing much as I am officially a lightweight now when it comes to drink :rolleyes:) but it meant I stayed up a little later than planned. Still managed to get up at a decent hour & head to the PP. Parked up & set off! The 1st 75mins absolutely flew by, a good few runners in the park but didn't feel as busy as the last few weeks! Started into my faster 20mins & wasn't sure how this would go, luckily once I got into a rhythm it was good, I felt like I consistently kept the pace as even as possible, ran by a group of runners near the Garda Headquarters who encouragingly shouted, nice pace, well done! Finished off with my easy pace back to the car.

Happy to say I am enjoying my training & seem to be having some good training weeks! This is not to say it's easy or anything like it. I think I am focusing on my overall efforts in a session & focusing on the consistency of it. I definitely feel stronger & more confident as the weeks are going on, it's a nice feeling especially with the prospects of no races at all for the near future, something that bothered me at the start of all this but not now!

46.7 Miles for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Decent week, well done.

Stones on a run???? the only stones I have out running are gall and kidney:)

TbL

Decent week, well done.

Stones on a run???? the only stones I have out running are gall and kidney:)

TbL

Thanks a mill, happy with it :)

Haha not as pretty as my white stones ;)

Stringing together some great weeks consistently. Great to see.

Stringing together some great weeks consistently. Great to see.

I'm gonna say I was expecting some kind of slagging here when I seen your name :pac:

Thanks a mill P, I'm lucky to be enjoying it & getting good guidance from S!

I'm gonna say I was expecting some kind of slagging here when I seen your name :pac:

Thanks a mill P, I'm lucky to be enjoying it & getting good guidance from S!

Have to keep it balanced. Can't be slagging you all the time. Lol

Have to keep it balanced. Can't be slagging you all the time. Lol

Haha true! But nothing beats a bit of banter :D

I do appreciate the serious you too though ;)

Great week again E.
    Going from your picture on strava and with my limited geography knowledge,they can be classified as pebbles not stones. No wonder I was picturing you carrying boulders :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice work. I’ve used stones (and sticks!) myself in the past, but never went to the trouble of bringing them from home. But would you not just programme the session into your watch and let it do the counting for you?

• Advertisement

Great week again E.
    Going from your picture on strava and with my limited geography knowledge,they can be classified as pebbles not stones. No wonder I was picturing you carrying boulders :)

Thanks a mill D!
    Haha yeah i probably could have said but it was more fun this way :D

Advertisement