Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Marathon 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

GAA would run the country better anyhow

They'd make sure Dublin gets any advantage they can think of, that's true

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

There is no way the GAA will let this go on and have a 2021 championship without crowds.

People won't accept this situation past April and once the days get longer next year and the sun is out there will be sport and people in attendance to enjoy it.

Hopefully this goes better than your last prediction
    Given the lockdown is effectively over as of the middle of this week I'm suddenly a lot more optimistic about races come October.
    Once we hit Sept and realise there is little or no existence of the virus remaining in community transmission then the ban on large gatherings will be lifted.

The Gardai know it's over, the CMO knows it's over.
    The Dept of spin are holding steady but will buckle after bank holiday Monday.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

adrian522 wrote: »
    Hopefully this goes better than your last prediction

:o

Your point being?
    The restrictions are a cod and the country knows that.
    100 people in hospital while thousands walk the streets with cancer that they don't even know they have yet.
    40 or 50 cases a day community transmission of a virus, massive numbers alright eh.

Tell us your own opinion Adrian?
    Sure you are happy to be a fanboy and watch NFL on the TV, but the rest of us in the real world would like to go to a game in person sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Maybe stick to DCM chat here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭event

Hope ye have all done up your loops within a 5k radius :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭Trampas

Is it to early for weather watch time as it is October ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Do you still need to download the app & carry phone around with you, or can it go on Garmin&Strava results alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

rizzee wrote: »
    Do you still need to download the app & carry phone around with you, or can it go on Garmin&Strava results alone?

We have listened to your feedback regarding the app and we will now provide runners with an upload option on "Manage My Booking" in Eventmaster.
    This time will be included in overall rankings and appear as a manual entry. Uploads must be completed by 26th of October to be included in the result. We would however highly recommend that runners use the App to gain the virtual race experience of tracking yourself over the marathon route.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

That question was also asked on their Twitter account and they categorically confirmed that no you don't need the app, which makes it a little bit easier not to have to run with your phone!

Ohhh I'm tempted now!!! Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Dental Floss

So I decided to cave and pay for the virtual 10k. I'm not into paying for virtual races, that's just me but, I said feck it's only €12, a one off.
    When I got to the checkout though, they were asking for €5 p&p, so that would bring it up to a €17 total. I didn't book it.

Does anyone know why they are charging p&p because I didn't order a tshirt or medal, and I was going to record the race on my watch.

Not sure, that seems a bit strange tbh

Does anyone know if you can downgrade a bit? I signed up to the full but in no way am I fit for it, just havent been able to train when its not a real one. Can I drop to the half?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

So last 2 weekends I tried out the app, both times the app was about 400m short compared to the Garmin over 22 miles. Was between .01 and .02 out per mile which adds up. This is with everything else turned off.
    Think ill stick with the Garmin and upload it. Now if it was the other way around.....ðŸ˜

So last 2 weekends I tried out the app, both times the app was about 400m short compared to the Garmin over 22 miles. Was between .01 and .02 out per mile which adds up. This is with everything else turned off.
    Think ill stick with the Garmin and upload it. Now if it was the other way around.....ðŸ˜

Yeah, I’m ditching the app and the phone and will instead depend on the tried and tested combo of Apple Watch and Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Does anyone know if you can drop down from an event, ie if you were registered for the full, could you drop down to the half or 10k and submit a time for that?

(asking for a friend I swear!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Also an asking for a friend... Can you run the marathon in segments like they did with the London Marathon app, even over the three days, or must it be in one hit?

robinph wrote: »
    Also an asking for a friend... Can you run the marathon in segments like they did with the London Marathon app, even over the three days, or must it be in one hit?

All in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

All in one go.

Does it have to be done using the app or can you upload the activity from your watch etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Does it have to be done using the app or can you upload the activity from your watch etc.

Originally they said you had to but relented and now allow upload from phone:

From the Website:

Do I have to run with my phone?

Yes, you firstly need to download the Dublin Marathon app which has a built-in GPS tracking feature that will automatically map and record your distance, pace and time. Then you must run with your phone to have your results uploaded automatically.

There will be an upload option on “Manage My Booking” in Eventmaster. This time will be included in overall rankings and appear as a manual entry. Uploads must be completed by 26th of October to be included in the result. We would however highly recommend that runners use the App to gain the virtual race experience of tracking yourself over the marathon route.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can drop down from an event, ie if you were registered for the full, could you drop down to the half or 10k and submit a time for that?

(asking for a friend I swear!)

Yes you can. I emailed office@dublinmarathon.ie and they replied about 30 mins later asking for my order number and did it for me

• Advertisement

event wrote: »
    Yes you can. I emailed office@dublinmarathon.ie and they replied about 30 mins later asking for my order number and did it for me

Ah brilliant thanks, I'll let him know. (he's abandoned me to do the full on me own :eek: )

Have a feeling the PP will be jammed next weekend :(

Have a feeling the PP will be jammed next weekend :(

I'll be up early on the Saturday morning and doing mine around an 11km loop (not in the Phoenix Park!).

Three full loops then a 4.6k out & back will do nicely (he says with fingers crossed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Josieg

How are people doing the VDCM managing for hydration and nutrition? Are you carrying everything or will you have support on your chosen route?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

Josieg wrote: »
    How are people doing the VDCM managing for hydration and nutrition? Are you carrying everything or will you have support on your chosen route?

Doing ~10.6Km loops and picking up 250ml water bottle each time, will probably head off with one of them in hand on 1st lap. The kids water bottles in Lidl are the perfect size. Going to tape my gels to them the day before so I'm only carrying what I need for that specific lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭Trampas

I’m doing mine this weekend instead. Suppose to have done one next weekend but level 3 cancelled that event so heading out this weekend instead. Haven’t signed up for virtual race. 25km loop and 17km loop is plan.

My first garmin 42.2km marathon. Plenty of long straights so garmin should be fine. One is 10km long nearly. Some small bends but nothing that have you cut a corner. Hopefully the farmers haven’t been spraying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Eight and a bit 5k loops. Will work out perfectly for taking drinks on as I'd usually take on fluids every 5k in a marathon. Will have 4/5 gels taped to bottles to collect on the way round.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

For this instance of a virtual marathon I'll just be carrying everything with me, and then some as I'll need a change of clothes at the far end seeing as I'll be doing a one way pootle with the finish away from home.

But when I ran a virtual back in April in place of the London marathon I figured out a route that would have me passing the house about 8 miles in and at that point I picked up the Camelbak to save lugging it around for the first few miles where I'd not need it. Then ran a far bigger loop with no potential shortcuts that I might be tempted to take to get back home sooner.

I've an 13.7km loop in the PP that I use, & stop at the car twice. Did it 2 weeks ago, fairly flat as well.

• Advertisement

Have a number of different loops swinging back by the house. 12km + 10km + 13km + 7+a bit km. Will refresh water and if I'm stuck for the loo.

Advertisement