Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

And 1 in 2736 of all people in Ireland have 'died from Covid 19' ....buuuuuuuut only circa 100 people didn't have underlying conditions meaning this 'flu' has killed 1 in over 49,000.

And you're still scared of it :)

Lots of people have "underlying conditions" and can expect to live for another quarter century, the loss of their lives should not be sneered at as a point scoring exercise on boards.ie. Who are you to regard these people as dispensable?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Lots of people have "underlying conditions" and can expect to live for another quarter century, the loss of their lives should not be sneered at as a point scoring exercise on boards.ie. Who are you to regard these people as dispensable?

The point clearly flew over your head ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Do you disregard the lives of people who die by suicide as a result of the lockdown as dispensable?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

This is the Commuting and Transport forum and the topic has the title of Coronavirus and the effect on public transport.

Can we please get back to discussing that. If you want to discuss COVID-19 topics unrelated to Public Transport, we have an entire forum for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Have PT services in Dublin worked out well with level 3 restrictions when the schools are back to some level of normality?

I was walking to Blackrock today & seen a fair few schoolkids getting either driven home from their parents, walking home themselves or cycling home from school using the temporary cycle lane on Carysfort Avenue. The one issue that I noticed today was that the road staff from DLR council were still out installing the new bus ramps at two bus stops for the 114 route near St Augustine's School & Carysfort Park and repainting the new cycle lanes.

The new bus ramp at the UCD Smurfit bus stop was installed some time last week.

When schools are open as normal pre Covid in a place like Booterstown; it would be very congested for a while with tons of schoolkids from St. Andrews & Blackrock College are trying to make school journeys on PT every day. Getting home on the bus or train would be a nightmare to get them home because large numbers of these students get home on the bus. They would just have to cram up at the bus stop near the Dart Station or take the Dart itself to get them home if they live near it.

I don't have any official figures on the numbers of students who attend St Andrews & Blackrock College. But I would imagine their numbers would be very large.

I would assume that if schoolkids that live in other areas of Dublin who get to school using PT; they would not have useful access to lots of PT services from their homes to within the school's locality if they have limited choices to choose from with either having to use a bus service or with using the cycle lanes.

With transport capacity being capped at 50% in Dublin for the next 3 weeks; if the schoolkids don't have useful access nearby to Dart or Luas services from their home to their school in Dublin; it probably would be much harder for them to attend school classes on time if they have to walk to school when they don't have the choice of using a bus service or a bicycle lane to get there. If kids are using bus services all the time for their school journeys in Dublin. That may significantly increase dwell times at bus stops with lots of schoolkids trying to get home that are at bus stops near the schools. There are issues with that because these kids would share the service with other essential & retail workers at the rush hour in the mornings & also during the afternoons as well during the evening rush.

Are the majority of schoolkids in Dublin able to comply with the current transport restrictions right now because of the reduced capacity that is available to them?

• Advertisement

I have noticed less people now on public transport in Dublin since the extra restrictions were brought in

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The one bus I saw that was full was followed immediately by another so I take it either the first was alte and picking up 2 bus loads of people or a reserve bus was dispatched to follow behind an pick up the slack.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

GT89 wrote: »
    I have noticed less people now on public transport in Dublin since the extra restrictions were brought in

I'd imagine mainy down to less hospitality staff and far less visitors about too. Plus the increased work from home again.
    Private servcies like Dublin Coach etc had only just started back service so it must be soem kick to already anaemic revenues- are the government supporting them?

road_high wrote: »
    I'd imagine mainy down to less hospitality staff and far less visitors about too. Plus the increased work from home again.
    Private servcies like Dublin Coach etc had only just started back service so it must be soem kick to already anaemic revenues- are the government supporting them?

It seems they are trying to kill Dublin city centre altogether by discouraging public transport

Go-Ahead now trialling hand sanitiser dispensers on some of their fleet. Looks like it will go all over the validator in this location imo
    https://twitter.com/GoAheadIreland/status/1309143672496238595?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

I can see a load of validators been damaged tbh. At least there trying, but maybe stick them in a different location.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

GT89 wrote:
    Go-Ahead now trialling hand sanitiser dispensers on some of their fleet. Looks like it will go all over the validator in this location imo

Bad idea.

Spillages on the floor will make it slippy and a professional personal injury claimer paradise.

Bad idea.

Spillages on the floor will make it slippy and a professional personal injury claimer paradise.

Exactly what I was thinking it's pointless. If you want to use hand sanitiser you'd carry our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Bad idea.

Non slip floor, it will be like water what comes out, I actually would be more worried about it been extremely flammable then it causing a slip which it won't.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Non slip floor, it will be like water what comes out, I actually would be more worried about it been extremely flammable then it causing a slip which it won't.....

Trust me, as someone who works in the claims industry, the small matter of a non slip floor won't stop them.

Trust me, as someone who works in the claims industry, the small matter of a non slip floor won't stop them.

It will be proven it's not possible to slip on it unless oil or such products were dumped on it.

People claim for anything these days, I'd say more will claim it burnt them or it splashed in their eyes....

The dirty fnuckers that need to use it or at least wash won't...

Wouldn't surprise me if people use it to get locked.

Placement seems to be better on the GAI coaches. Tbh honest I can't any good place to put this on city buses where it is not getting in the way of something. On coaches it's not so bad.
    https://twitter.com/GoAheadIreland/status/1309535385970790400?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭john boye

Saw a few DB buses today with "Keep window open" notices on the opening windows. Didn't seem to be having much effect on the ones I saw!

john boye wrote: »
    Saw a few DB buses today with "Keep window open" notices on the opening windows. Didn't seem to be having much effect on the ones I saw!

People are stupid unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Not seen any 'keep window open' signs on DB and I've been commuting everyday all through initial lockdown to present day. Also, have had to stand on bus home in the evening last two days which is awkward now that middle door is used for alighting so you can't stand there. End up crammed in the bit from the back of drivers cab to before the stairs next to two other people with not a hope of social distancing. Lots of folks with pennys bags and the like making essential journeys now on the bus most days, which rankles myself after doing a 9+ hour day in an essential service!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

john boye wrote: »
    I find the "Keep Windows Open" directive a bit strange/counter productive. Does it not defeat the social distancing measures by distributing particulates over a larger area?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    I find the "Keep Windows Open" directive a bit strange/counter productive. Does it not defeat the social distancing measures by distributing particulates over a larger area?

No it gets fresh air in. That's exactly what is needed.....

Not seen any 'keep window open' signs on DB and I've been commuting everyday all through initial lockdown to present day. Also, have had to stand on bus home in the evening last two days which is awkward now that middle door is used for alighting so you can't stand there. End up crammed in the bit from the back of drivers cab to before the stairs next to two other people with not a hope of social distancing. Lots of folks with pennys bags and the like making essential journeys now on the bus most days, which rankles myself after doing a 9+ hour day in an essential service!

Its only new so it will be a slow roll out.

I work there and see none yet.

The luas has been fitted with these, most I see are still closed.
    If people open a few it will help and doesn't have to be them all.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There has been a somewhat interesting report published by the governments "Special Committee On Covid19 Response", report here (pdf):

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/committee/dail/33/special_committee_on_covid_19_response/reports/2020/2020-10-09_final-report-of-the-special-committee-on-covid-19-response_en.pdf

A few interesting points:

- "Dublin Bus suggested that dynamic pricing could be introduced to encourage more people to travel outside of peak times." - Sounds like a good idea to me.

- DB/BE/IR/GA/Transdev all saw a 90% drop in passenger numbers in March.

- NTA estimating fare revenue will be down 50 to 60% this year. CIE expecting revenue to fall 60% this year. DB commercial revenue down 87%

- Transport Salaried Staff Association and NBRU suggest schools and business starting times be staggered to take pressure off public transport.

- Commercial Coach operators not expecting coach tourism to fully recover until 2023 - 2024

They should take off them hideous looking yellow signs on seats on buses and trains telling you where to sit. Makes the bus or train look like a crime scene. They don't have them in London and you can be dam sure they don't have them in Sweden either.

For once I actually wish teenagers would come and rip off every single one of them and throw them on a Halloween bonfire. I think I know that Covid is a thing as it's all over the news night noon and morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Dublin Mini Coaches have placed their 2017 Gemini 3 double decker, used for their Dublin to Newry route, up for sale on Ensignbus.

3_orig.jpg

https://www.ensignbus.com/2017-volvo-b5tl.html

I have heard that one of their Ex Dublin Bus AV buses has been recently sold off as well.

I distinctly remember having a look inside that Gemini 3 bus which was being shown as a brand new bus on display at the Dun Laoghaire Harbour transport rally in 2017. They were there to show their Gravedigger tour bus, which is an ex Dublin Bus AV in the black livery, and one of their mercedes mini buses alongside them all on display for the public to see for that October BH Weekend. The staff on that duty on that day were very professional & lovely people.

There was a large amount of people actually wanting to come in & see the buses to see what they looked like for the 1st time. I have never used their services around Dublin before. Their routes don't run in my area of Dublin. However they have a really impressive looking fleet to see out on the road.

I find it a great shame to know that we may now have to see them succumb to having their vehicles being run on reduced service this year or having to prematurely end their career with this fine company in these strange times. I hope that they will find their way back soon.

They don't deserve to bow out like this when it's battling a severe pandemic like Covid. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Didn’t know until today under L4 or 5, public transport will be back to 25% capacity. Strange decision.

Dublin Mini Coaches have placed their 2017 Gemini 3 double decker, used for their Dublin to Newry route, up for sale on Ensignbus.

3_orig.jpg

https://www.ensignbus.com/2017-volvo-b5tl.html

I have heard that one of their Ex Dublin Bus AV buses has been recently sold off as well.

I distinctly remember having a look inside that Gemini 3 bus which was being shown as a brand new bus on display at the Dun Laoghaire Harbour transport rally in 2017. They were there to show their Gravedigger tour bus, which is an ex Dublin Bus AV in the black livery, and one of their mercedes mini buses alongside them all on display for the public to see for that October BH Weekend. The staff on that duty on that day were very professional & lovely people.

There was a large amount of people actually wanting to come in & see the buses to see what they looked like for the 1st time. I have never used their services around Dublin before. Their routes don't run in my area of Dublin. However they have a really impressive looking fleet to see out on the road.

I find it a great shame to know that we may now have to see them succumb to having their vehicles being run on reduced service this year or having to prematurely end their career with this fine company in these strange times. I hope that they will find their way back soon.

They don't deserve to bow out like this when it's battling a severe pandemic like Covid. :(

Is that the crowd that runs the Eastpoint shuttle bus?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Didn’t know until today under L4 or 5, public transport will be back to 25% capacity. Strange decision.

Yes, under Level 4

I think the idea is that only essential workers are supposed to be travelling anyway.
    GT89 wrote: »
    Is that the crowd that runs the Eastpoint shuttle bus?

Yes, looks like it, Dublin Mini Coaches.

• Advertisement

It would appear that going into town and shopping in Penney's is essential, bus constantly has people laden down with Penny's bags.

It is essential for the economy

Advertisement