Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replacement gas boiler

• 14-09-2020 7:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭

How much should I be expecting to pay for replacing a gas boiler in an apartment?
    Aware there are some SEAI grants available.
    Not looking for anything fancy just a budget boiler for a rental property.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

IIRC you wont get a grant for a new gas boiler replacing a gas boiler.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

IIRC you wont get a grant for a new gas boiler replacing a gas boiler.

Correct.

Op, you’d be paying at least 1800-2200 for a new boiler, powerflush and magnetic filter. If you’re paying less than that you’re being conned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Cheers.
    The existing boiler that's on the way out is a system boiler. Will I need to be getting a similar boiler or can a combi boiler be installed on my set up?

Brego888 wrote: »
    Cheers.
    The existing boiler that's on the way out is a system boiler. Will I need to be getting a similar boiler or can a combi boiler be installed on my set up?

No. It’s not impossible I’m sure but it’d cost slot more to install a combi

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Brego888 wrote: »
    Cheers.

Did you get an answer in the end?

Just looking to replace our own gas boiler. Its 15 years old.
    Combi looks like it may not be suitable for the older radiator system.
    Is 15 years "old"?

We are in an apartment and already have a conventional boiler. It failed about a week ago. E400 to repair, (could be another 400 next year or the year after)

• Advertisement

Tenger wrote: »
    Did you get an answer in the end?

Just looking to replace our own gas boiler. Its 15 years old.
    Combi looks like it may not be suitable for the older radiator system.
    Is 15 years "old"?

We are in an apartment and already have a conventional boiler. It failed about a week ago. E400 to repair, (could be another 400 next year or the year after)

A combi being suitable for a house or not has nothing to do with the amount or age of radiators you have.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    A combi being suitable for a house or not has nothing to do with the amount or age of radiators you have.

I was reading about them online.
    Says they may not be suitable for older radiator systems or in areas a of low pressure.

Tenger wrote: »
    I was reading about them online.
    Says they may not be suitable for older radiator systems or in areas a of low pressure.

Nothing to do with radiators or low pressure. Once your heating system is clean, has a magnetic filter installed, the plumbing water is soft, and there’s good pressure (break tank and pump) and it’s a small house/apartment then a combi is suitable. Max 2 showers

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Nothing to do with radiators or low pressure. Once your heating system is clean, has a magnetic filter installed, the plumbing water is soft, and there’s good pressure (break tank and pump) and it’s a small house/apartment then a combi is suitable. Max 2 showers

Thanks.
    I sorta of felt that the reference to "old pipes" mean multi decade old. It was a UK site I was reading.

Advertisement