Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Crysis: Remastered PC/PS4/XBoxOne

• 19-09-2020 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭

It's been 13 years since its initial release. Has much changed?

I've probably played through the campaign 4-5 times since its initial release.

Despite the flaws I think I've always thought of Crysis as one of my favourite games to play. I could never max it out graphically, back in the day.

Having played through about 2 hours of the remastered edition I have to say, there's something that doesn't feel right about it. Yes, I can over look the fact that it doesn't seem to run amazingly on my new PC but I suspect that's down to the game more than my PC. Navigating the world is really annoying i.e. movement, powers, shooting and controls are all making the game feed REALLY off for me. It doesn't seem to control a smooth/intuitive as I want or remember.

I'm finding the enemy detection is incredibly sensitive. I'm being spotted at 200 m distance. Maybe I've forgotten how it has always been because navigating the world was great. I'm finding even the classic suit controls AND the key assigned power shortcuts are cumbersome and neither work like I would want.

I think, If I was to install the original Crysis I would enjoy it more that I'm enjoying this right now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I love the original game, very dynamic how you approach certain situations. I dislike this remaster as it is built on the low ploy 360/PS4 console version so lacks a lot of the finer details of the PC version and has a much blockier look to it. Also missing the flying level from near the end of the game so unfortunitly I wont be touching this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I read somewhere that the devs intentionally made this game crippling for even the highest end PC at the time, as some kind of warped excercise - now that's more than likely not true, but why is it that Crysis has become that meme? every other gpu that comes out "but can it run Crysis at more than 12fps?" type thing. WHY is this one game so crippling to even the higher end PCs? there's somthing wrong there - I watched a stream of this remastered version earlier and it was choppy AF, the streamer [Lirik] was running it on a high end system and it looked and played horrible. Why go through the torture? there's way better games out there

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

These shoddy remasters need to stop, I got stung with mafia 2, just cash in's for the Dev's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I read somewhere that the devs intentionally made this game crippling for even the highest end PC at the time, as some kind of warped excercise - now that's more than likely not true, but why is it that Crysis has become that meme? every other gpu that comes out "but can it run Crysis at more than 12fps?" type thing. WHY is this one game so crippling to even the higher end PCs? there's somthing wrong there - I watched a stream of this remastered version earlier and it was choppy AF, the streamer [Lirik] was running it on a high end system and it looked and played horrible. Why go through the torture? there's way better games out there

Digital foundry covered why. Crysis was built to be future proofed. At the time they made crysis the future looked to be increasing clocks on a single or dual core. Therefore the game wasn't multithreaded properly. However the industry moved to slower but more numerous cores and because crysis wasn't multithreaded properly it can't take advantage of them.

Crytek didn't deliberately cripple crysis. That's nonsense. They just mispredicted how hardware would advance.

Have they cut the flying level out? If so the. This port is nonsense and just an update of the 360 version released years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Yeah. It doesn't have the same feel compared to playing on PC over the years.
    Even the addition of the the stomping sound when using the armour power is really annoying. The mesh on the periphery of your vision when using the power too us terrible too. I never played it on Xbox so wouldn't know if they were in it then.

• Advertisement

Yeah. Looks to be a port of the Xbox version which explains why it doesn't feel the way I would expect.

https://www.dsogaming.com/articles/crysis-remastered-is-not-based-on-the-original-pc-2007-version-has-worse-pc-controls/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So there's still no definitive version of the game that runs well.

That's really annoying that it's such a cheap port. Was looking forward to a 60hz version finally and not one that cuts out an entire level.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Why did they cut the flying level out in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Crytek didn't deliberately cripple crysis. That's nonsense.

People might get this idea from Crysis 2 where Crytek and Nvidia gimped AMD performance with overusing tesselation on stupid objects and the infamous water rendering where the player can't see it. https://youtu.be/ZcF36_qMd8M?t=112
    Technical reasons no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

Never played Crysis one. So can't compare. But it runs fairly poorly on my 1080ti. Small frame drops and I don't know but the movement or controls just feels like there is latency behind every action I do. The graphics are not that mind blowing to me either considering how poorly it is running too. Also trying to play stealthy in some places and the enemies spot me up in the mountains miles away. So pretty much have to have the stealth suit on always. Controls and keybindings are a mess too. Having to scroll wheel or use a weapon wheel feels dumb on a pc.

• Advertisement

That level runs like dirt on everything even the highest end current pc. Was cut out because the PS360 couldn't handle it... Some would say pc couldn't handle it either! Would have been nice to see it running well. It's a fun level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homelander

That looks terrible for a "re-master". Really disappointed. The first Crysis is a great game, but no way I'm picking up this lazy cash-in.

Glad I didn't pull the trigger on this for Xbox yesterday. Not sure about other platforms but it's got some problems on Xbox. There are other videos in the thread.

https://twitter.com/GameTripperUK/status/1306623985594126339

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I recall digital foundry recently saying they when they spoke to the developers of the original game, they admitted it wasn't that well optimized, they where more interested in throwing in as many graphically features as they could rather than optimizing them. Its most definitely a a CPU limited game but that's been known for years now and I don't really blame the developers for that, they didn't have a crystal ball to see into the future.

Recently played through the original Crysis at max settings 1440p with 8xMSAA on Ryzen 3700x, a 5700XT and 16GB ram. Frame rate was mostly in the 70-80fps range but drops in certain levels to the mid 40's where not uncommon. Surprisingly the VTOL flying level that was cut from all the other versions ran very well, I don't think I dropped under 60FPS on that one. Sure a more consistent frame rate would be better but the game was more than playable for me.

The main issues I have with it is one of stability. The ending level on the carrier just kept crashing due to a memory leak. I had about 5-6 crashes on that level and had to very frequently save and reload to complete the game.

I still think it is a great game, which is kinda funny because I remember not been overly impressed with it on my first play through. But I've come to appreciate the open endness of the combat, your given a lot of fun option to play around with and even to this day the visuals can at time be very impressive.

I'm hearing the remaster is also CPU bound, which is very disappointing. I think I'll be skipping this remaster unless alot of improvements are added to it on PC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think, If I was to install the original Crysis I would enjoy it more that I'm enjoying this right now.

I played through it a few months ago. Not really sure what all the fuss was about. I see it as a bit of a rough around the edges shooter. Decent game, like but I didn't think anyone would bother remastering it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I played through it a few months ago. Not really sure what all the fuss was about. I see it as a bit of a rough around the edges shooter. Decent game, like but I didn't think anyone would bother remastering it.

I get what you're saying, but it's a bit like saying Half Life 2 was OK because you played it a few months ago. It lacks context to what it was able/aiming to do at the time.

Saying that, it didn't move the needle (too much) on gameplay, but the fundimental way it played was solid as a rock and felt good. Everything about it seems jarring to me.

A new patch is out that adds back in Accession level on PC with some small performance improvements as well as numerous bug fixes. The patch before that saw huge performance gains in excess of 50-60%. Which begs the questions why the hell did they release the game in such a poor state in the first place and give the remaster such a bad reputation.

I'm a lot more interested in it now. Wonder if DF will look at it again.

You can see the performance improvements from the 2nd most recent patch bench marked below.

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/software/crysis_remastered_performance_transformed_-_patch_1_3_0_delivers_huge_performance_gains/4

Advertisement