Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2020

• 23-04-2020 1:50pm

Anyone thing if the Dublin marathon will go ahead this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

I dont

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Would be shocked if it did.

Was thinking the same myself but i will still stick at the training until its confirm its not going ahead

Ah my whole season is fecked id say. Looking to 2021 now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

The only advantage is the refund process scheduled for July will make DCM issue a formal decision if the event is to go ahead. They can't pretend the event will go ahead and have some people claim a 70% refund and then have to issue a 100% refund due to it's cancellation later. They also won't be able to re-sell any available places on the 1st August.

I don't expect it to go ahead but I don't think we'll hear anything until early July from DCM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

No chance I think unfortunately. Im looking to Spring 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Don't expect any races at home this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Given the lockdown is effectively over as of the middle of this week I'm suddenly a lot more optimistic about races come October.
    Once we hit Sept and realise there is little or no existence of the virus remaining in community transmission then the ban on large gatherings will be lifted.

The Gardai know it's over, the CMO knows it's over.
    The Dept of spin are holding steady but will buckle after bank holiday Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Given the lockdown is effectively over as of the middle of this week I'm suddenly a lot more optimistic about races come October.
    Once we hit Sept and realise there is little or no existence of the virus remaining in community transmission then the ban on large gatherings will be lifted.

Lockdown is over? Since when?
    The lockdown will be here for a lot longer, some restrictions might be lifted but I cant see the lockdown being "over".

Downtime wrote: »
    Lockdown is over? Since when?
    The lockdown will be here for a lot longer, some restrictions might be lifted but I cant see the lockdown being "over".

We are back to restrictions(businesses/hotels/services limited or closed).
    Lockdown means restrictions on movement, which isn't being policied anymore.
    Lockdown is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Lockdown is over.

Gards have been on my road pulling cars every day this week, so definitely not the case in Co. Clare!

Can't see Dublin going ahead at all but it has the best chance of the big ones as it's the bit later. Even if it does, people will then have to decide IF they should, taking personal circumstances into account etc. Loads to factor in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Lockdown is over.

We were never truly locked down. Restrictions on movement still apply. The cops are policing - and people need to police themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

Unfortunately I can't see Dublin happening. I think over the last few weeks people are becoming more realistic over their plans for the year.
    As we have been told we are going to have to live with this virus for the foreseeable future.
    I would even doubt the smaller races going ahead that cater for say 500 up.
    In even a smaller race, social distancing would be impossible, and you are surrounded by people breathing heavy, coughing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

18- 20k athletes all penned in closely, sweating, snotting ,coughing, spluttering, liquid, contact everywhere , a recipe /breeding ground for disaster.

Not to mention the packed crowds it brings out too .

I am signed up for this year, was hoping to do my 5 in a row, looks like my 5 in a row will be stretched over a 6 year period.

Cant see it going ahead for health reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Unfortunately, I think that a lot of the bigger race events are off until next year. Slight chance than parkruns might be allowed sometime in the Summer but I'm sure there's more questions than answers with them even.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Highly doubt it’s going ahead but no harm to book accommodation now, prices are pretty good for some hotels on the luas lines. Easy to cancel on hotels.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

There was a Garda road checkpoint on Wyattville Road near me this morning @6AM when I was getting in a run, apparently there will be a big presence this weekend, but I agree after that its probably going to be mostly relaxed as community transmission seems to be stopped with the social distancing measures - as long as people stick to them.
    Hoping for a spring marathon personally, really cannot see an autumn one this year even if outdoor events are far safer than indoor ones, in this case the start area would be packed full of people unless they somehow stagger that massively.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Question.

What politician, health expert or marathon organiser will give the go ahead for the marathon and put their reputation at risk as well as the health of so many people?

I'll take a guess that the answer will be none.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Mod note:

If you or anyone else on here continue with speculation like the above then it will have consequences. Nobody knows what the future holds.

Steve wrote: »
    Mod note:

If you or anyone else on here continue with speculation like the above then it will have consequences. Nobody knows what the future holds.

If nobody knows what the future holds then how the f*ck can you consider an opinion speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If nobody knows what the future holds then how the f*ck can you consider an opinion speculation.

Like I said.

consequences.

If you wish to discuss moderation, please do so via pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,377 ✭✭✭Trampas

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Ah my whole season is fecked id say. Looking to 2021 now!

Slight exaggeration there.

Trampas wrote: »
    Slight exaggeration there.

If events go ahead ill be doing em!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,377 ✭✭✭Trampas

TheW1zard wrote: »
    If events go ahead ill be doing em!

What events. Unless dcm goes ahead why would you bother if season is wrecked

Trampas wrote: »
    What events. Unless dcm goes ahead why would you bother if season is wrecked

Well if all the events go ahead it wont be, dcm being just one. Signed up for various bits and pieces across a few sports. Hope most of them happen but i cant see it happening at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Mod note:

In fairness, the part about the community is correct and not speculation.

In fairness, the part about the community is correct and not speculation.
    Which part?

This?

Community transmission can only be contained within a lockdown. If the virus still exists then community transmission is inevitable. The only way to stop it for those infected to pass the contagion stage without infecting more people (lockdown) or for them to die in isolation.

Right now, the CMO is reporting r0 of about 0.5, meaning that for every 10 people that are infected, they will pass it on to 5 others. This is DURING lockdown where everyone is staying apart..

Imagine what that figure would jump to if 25,000 people were running, coughing and spitting in close proximity.

It's not going to happen.

Posts saying 'this is over' are giving people false hope and encouraging complacency when it is absolutely not needed or wise to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Which part?

This?

Community transmission can only be contained within a lockdown. If the virus still exists then community transmission is inevitable. The only way to stop it for those infected to pass the contagion stage without infecting more people (lockdown) or for them to die in isolation.

Right now, the CMO is reporting r0 of about 0.5, meaning that for every 10 people that are infected, they will pass it on to 5 others. This is DURING lockdown where everyone is staying apart..

Imagine what that figure would jump to if 25,000 people were running, coughing and spitting in close proximity.

It's not going to happen.

Posts saying 'this is over' are giving people false hope and encouraging complacency when it is absolutely not needed or wise to do so.

The number of cases in community right now is pretty low, I know this because of a relative working in this area in HSE. Big problem is the nursing homes and mental institutions.

Chance of picking it up in public is very low for now.

Of course there.could be a few more rounds

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/ireland/

Let's be realistic,

Are you really saying that 19,648 people infected and 1,102 dead is low?

3 days ago we had the highest recorded mortality rate ever in this country.

Now, more than ever we need to have some common sense and a realisation that the age old "shure it'll be grand" is not going to save us.

• Advertisement

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/ireland/

Let's be realistic,

Are you really saying that 19,648 people infected and 1,102 dead is low?

3 days ago we had the highest recorded mortality rate ever in this country.

Now, more than ever we need to have some common sense and a realisation that the age old "shure it'll be grand" is not going to save us.

Nobody said it was grand, but it will be despite the lockdown merchants wishing otherwise.
    As you have no skin in the game I wouldn't expect you to understand how people who take part in races would look to be optimistic.
    Sitting on the sideline must get boring so you have to get your kicks somehow.

Finally, don't belive everything that is spun to you.
    Once our gutless caretaker government realise the virus is under control both here and in Europe they will copy their paymasters and lift the restrictions in plenty of time for Oct.

Advertisement