Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statins/Cholesterol

• 20-02-2020 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,279 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this is the wrong forum - not a long term illness but a health question.

A few months back my LDL cholesterol was high (4.5 and overall cholesterol 6.2) and nurse said the doctor wanted to do bloods again in three months as I have gone three years between tests up to this. She said he'd probably prescribe statins if it remained high. I don't have a high fat diet, take benecol and drink heart active milk for years. I've spent the past three months trying to eat foods to lower the LDL. Anyway, my question is as it near time for the retest : Is anybody out there on statins and are there any side affects? The internet is full for extreme stories and I'd appreciate comments from somebody actually on them. I know my GP will explain and I trust him fully but would like to know what I should ask about. Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They are a mixed bag, some statins can have quite pronounced effects esp fatigue and aches you may need to try more than one type. Ezetrol worked fine for me, as does Ezetimibe now which is an absorption inhibitor. Was that mentioned as a possibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Apologies if this is the wrong forum - not a long term illness but a health question.

A few months back my LDL cholesterol was high (4.5 and overall cholesterol 6.2) and nurse said the doctor wanted to do bloods again in three months as I have gone three years between tests up to this. She said he'd probably prescribe statins if it remained high. I don't have a high fat diet, take benecol and drink heart active milk for years. I've spent the past three months trying to eat foods to lower the LDL. Anyway, my question is as it near time for the retest : Is anybody out there on statins and are there any side affects? The internet is full for extreme stories and I'd appreciate comments from somebody actually on them. I know my GP will explain and I trust him fully but would like to know what I should ask about. Many thanks.

I've been on them for 9 years with no side effects. Cholesterol was almost exact same as yours (had a heart bypass at 40 - must've bad genes!)

Cholesterol now is 2.5 with LDL of 1.3 - all good now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

You dont need to take in lots of fats to have high readings. I did a test at tallaght hospital and it was soooo high, it looked like red guinness. The white layer on it looked like a pint!

The doc photographed it and showed me. My levels were up in the 20s and he reckoned some people manufacture it. I am back near normal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I have a few families members have issues with cholesterol...They all have diet with highly processed carbs and/or sugar...My Dad who eats about kilo of cheese a week and never eats sweet things has perfect cholesterol...

Google CoQ10 & Statins...Statins stops your liver producing Cholesterol & CoQ10...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,279 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They are a mixed bag, some statins can have quite pronounced effects esp fatigue and aches you may need to try more than one type. Ezetrol worked fine for me, as does Ezetimibe now which is an absorption inhibitor. Was that mentioned as a possibility?
    Thanks. The nurse just said statins. I'll know more when back with the doc.
    I've been on them for 9 years with no side effects. Cholesterol was almost exact same as yours (had a heart bypass at 40 - must've bad genes!)

Cholesterol now is 2.5 with LDL of 1.3 - all good now.
    Good to know. I'm early 60s and no health issues at all.
    c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    I have a few families members have issues with cholesterol...They all have diet with highly processed carbs and/or sugar...My Dad who eats about kilo of cheese a week and never eats sweet things has perfect cholesterol...

Google CoQ10 & Statins...Statins stops your liver producing Cholesterol & CoQ10...
    Yes, I'm keeping away from google - too many contradictions and extremes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Thanks. The nurse just said statins. I'll know more when back with the doc.

Good to know. I'm early 60s and no health issues at all.

Yes, I'm keeping away from google - too many contradictions and extremes.

Read about how statins work. Your'll get that from the manufacturer's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

My levels were up in the 20s and he reckoned some people manufacture it.

Everybody manufactures cholesterol. Some more than others. What statins do is block a step in the process so that you manufacture less and so the level drops.

Most people don't have any problems with side-effects but if you do your doctor will try a different one or switch to Ezetimibe as somebody suggested. Usually they won't start with it as blocking adsorption isn't as effective as blocking production at getting levels down.
    If levels are very high, some people take both or a combination of them.

Advertisement