Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Strokes, short notice gig in Belfast

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

They came on 20 mins late .

Who released the stage times in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 GerPen2015

poteen wrote: »
    How was the gig?

I thought it was excellent , I was in the seats in the upper left to the stage and the whole block was up jumping and really up for the music which was brilliant. As a venue I was really impressed with the waterfront , they allow a lot more freedom to get up move around and jump about even in the seated sections than the 3arena or the olympia do which surprised me :D

Yeah the gig was prob only 1hr 15 , they played 15 songs , But finally got to hear one way trigger live :D Did'nt play last nite which I didnt really miss , there was great energy off them and the crowd responded to it

Side note : there was one dickhead few rows down that was'nt standing just sitting there motionless and everytime the young lad in front of him went to stand up or jump about he pulled at his hood and kept telling him to sit down , you could see the younger lad was intimidated it was just bad form I thought.

They came on 20 mins late and played for just over an hour. Great as it was while they were on it's a bit annoying that they did the very bare minimum.
    Support band Hinds were great.

I really enjoyed Hinds too but didn't think The Strokes did the bare minimum as for all the gigs the previous couple weeks they played 15 songs so we should of known what to expect. I'd take 15 songs with a good performance over some dragged out half assed gig any day of the week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Hinds were a pleasant surpise alright, quite enjoyed them

Nice little writeup about how they ended up supporting:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-51571485

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Support band Hinds were great.

Their new song Good Bad Times is extremely catchy.
    It sounds very similar to another song I've heard before but cant put my finger on yet.
    It has a similar vibe to MGMT's "Me and Michael" .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭hullabulloo

GerPen2015 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Hinds too but didn't think The Strokes did the bare minimum as for all the gigs the previous couple weeks they played 15 songs so we should of known what to expect. I'd take 15 songs with a good performance over some dragged out half assed gig any day of the week :D
    14 according to setlist fm.
    For a band with 5 full albums who have been accomplished musicians for 20 years to do a 75 minute set, is that not a rip?
    I love the strokes travelled from Dublin for this and went to london last year but don't think they give a sh1t about the band anymore and it's a cash job for them which is a pity.
    That said as before, really enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Still Ill

For a band with 5 full albums who have been accomplished musicians for 20 years to do a 75 minute set, is that not a rip?
    I love the strokes travelled from Dublin for this and went to london last year but don't think they give a sh1t about the band anymore and it's a cash job for them which is a pity.
    That said as before, really enjoyed it!

I dunno.. If they were doing it for the money, why would they be playing in a venue that small?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭hullabulloo

Still Ill wrote: »
    I dunno.. If they were doing it for the money, why would they be playing in a venue that small?
    Test the market for the inevitable post album arena tour in the autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Dante

Thought they were fantastic for the time they were on. Was pretty disappointed that they didn't play longer, I guess this was just a warmup for some bigger shows further down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

2002 in the olympia is down as 14 songs too, with just the 1 album.
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-strokes/2002/olympia-theatre-dublin-ireland-5bd60bb8.html

I remember at the time some friends put off saying it would not really be worth going as it would be so short -as though they were just going to rattle off the album in ~35mins and head off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Still Ill

rubadub wrote: »
    2002 in the olympia is down as 14 songs too, with just the 1 album.
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-strokes/2002/olympia-theatre-dublin-ireland-5bd60bb8.html

I remember at the time some friends put off saying it would not really be worth going as it would be so short -as though they were just going to rattle off the album in ~35mins and head off.

Was at that.. Amazing gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Side note : there was one dickhead few rows down that was'nt standing just sitting there motionless and everytime the young lad in front of him went to stand up or jump about he pulled at his hood and kept telling him to sit down , you could see the younger lad was intimidated it was just bad form I thought.

While I"m kinda sympathetic towards the young lad, it really(!) pisses me off when everyone stands in the seating areas. There are people who have a genuine reason for buying seated tickets and there's a lot of selfish people who will stand and block their view regardless.

I'm all for moving about and having a good time at a gig, but I make sure I do everything I can to get standing tickets to do this. If I end up seated, then that's tough luck.

In my opinion, the venue has every right to enforce it strictly. Those who don't want to stand shouldn't be penalised just because other people weren't able to buy standing tickets.

Thought they were fantastic for the time they were on. Was pretty disappointed that they didn't play longer, I guess this was just a warmup for some bigger shows further down the line.

Yeah I also thought they were excellent while they were on , I have to ask though do you think they would sell out the 3arena if they came to Ireland south ? I think there was even a few empty seats in the Waterfront :/

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Yeah I also thought they were excellent while they were on , I have to ask though do you think they would sell out the 3arena if they came to Ireland south ? I think there was even a few empty seats in the Waterfront :/

Would have to say no doubt at all they would sell it out. Some awful crap sells out the 3 arena whereas The Strokes are top class. Also, think those small gigs can throw up some empty seats for those gigs. VIPs not turning up, guest list reserves, etc etc...

poteen wrote: »
    Would have to say no doubt at all they would sell it out. Some awful crap sells out the 3 arena whereas The Strokes are top class. Also, think those small gigs can throw up some empty seats for those gigs. VIPs not turning up, guest list reserves, etc etc...

last year I would have said that I don't think they would of sold it out , but I am loving how they are on the comeback especially the new songs and hopefully the new album will be great. Seen them 3 times in last year and its getting better each time so & 4th soon would be very sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

I think there was even a few empty seats in the Waterfront :/

There were a good few, but I'd be happy to bet they were all down standing. They weren't checking tickets at all for the first half hour when handing out the standing wristbands, and it was absolutely wedged in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Dante

The empty seats were possibly because they weren't checking tickets at the entrance to the standing section, yer one was just waving everyone through. I know a group of ~10 people who had seated tickets who easily got wristbands for the standing section. Ended up talking to a few others in there who said the same too.

Advertisement