Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rail gourmet

• 03-01-2020 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭

How do they justify those price increases across the range they offer. The wholesale prices of Coca Cola/zero/Fanta haven’t increased nor has the price of Tayto Crisp. I don’t consume carbohydrates and I only drink water so these price increases aren’t something that would affect me.

Minerals have increased by 30c from €1.80
    Coca Cola €2.10
    Coke Zero €2.10 (despite no sugar tax applicable)
    Fanta €2.10
    Sprite €2.10 (again no sugar tax applicable)

Tayto Crisps have increased by 15c to €1.50

A modern day Dick Turpin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

How do they justify those price increases across the range they offer. The wholesale prices of Coca Cola/zero/Fanta haven’t increased nor has the price of Tayto Crisp. I don’t consume carbohydrates and I only drink water so these price increases aren’t something that would affect me.

Coca Cola €2.10
    Fanta €2.10

Gourmet is the Irish for expensive, can use artisan or craft as well

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Gourmet is the Irish for expensive, can use artisan or craft as well
    usual trick there is smearing nutella on a bog standard donut and sprinkling crushed up oreos and charging a fiver. Or making an odd shape burger and dusting flour on the bun.

But what about these cokes? rolling them in muck and calling them organic?;)

There could well be some complaint mechaism about sugar tax though, I thought the minister made some threat about it, possibly an empty threat but it is not like this is some random one off chipper or something. It would be quite bad press is a rail service was not pricing stuff as the government intended, i.e. to deter people from drinking sugary drinks. Even if they can say its a third party company it is not good.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Captive audience and I suspect they likely don't actually make much money - you need to sell quite a few cups of tea and soggy sangers to make up the 11 quid an hour or whatever they pay the staff member.

Massively dropping the prices wouldn't shift a huge amount more so they only have one end of the price to return spectrum to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Hope the OP never has to travel on Ryanair :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

silver2020 wrote: »
    Hope the OP never has to travel on Ryanair :D:D:D

I see they also have no price difference for sugar/nonsugar drinks.

Pepsi / Pepsi Max
    250ml (€1.00/100ml)
    €2.50

https://www.ryanair.com/content/dam/ryanair/inflight/Ryanair_Spring_Inflight.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Coca Cola €2.10
    Fanta €2.10

That's f*ckin mad. I haven't lived in Ireland for years, do they still have the price of the Tayto on the packet? I remember when they were under 10p.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Alot of Rail passengers are either on the free travel so don't mind or are else expensing everything so again don't mind. I have found there is a EuroWorld at Abbey Street Luas stop and I usually load up with a bottle of water, crisps etc. there before taking the Luas out to Heuston. The prices on the train are just a small part of the general rip-off one faces on a trip to Dublin anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,891 ✭✭✭thesandeman

jester77 wrote: »
    That's f*ckin mad. I haven't lived in Ireland for years, do they still have the price of the Tayto on the packet? I remember when they were under 10p.

I remember when they were 1½d.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I remember when they were 1½d.

Wasn't that Perri?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,891 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Before Perri I think. All you could get were Tayto or Smith's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Before Perri I think. All you could get were Tayto or Smith's.

or Sam Spudz :)

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Wasn't that the Tayto with the little twist of salt in the bag so you could salt your own crisps?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

jester77 wrote: »

And you'd throw the empty packet into the fire and watch it shrink to about 2"x2", then burn up. Weirdly hypnotic. :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

cbreeze wrote: »
    Wasn't that the Tayto with the little twist of salt in the bag so you could salt your own crisps?

Smiths did that.

Tayto invented the procedure for directly flavouring crisps (and made dosh licencing it to others) so never needed to do that. Its also why the term "ready salted" even exists.

Advertisement