Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free health & Dexa scan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Marty Bird wrote: »
    Thanks OP no dates available for January pity I missed out on it. I was going to pay to have this done ah well great for anyone who got a date.

If you click on the next available date option you will see plenty in May 2020 for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Thanks OP no dates available for January pity I missed out on it. I was going to pay to have this done ah well great for anyone who got a date.

Yeah, there's dates from May on. Got Monday the 18th myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I did it in UCD about two years ago - it was NOT a full DEXA scan but will give you an indicator of levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

dennispenn wrote: »
    any idea how much this exam would be?
    http://stjamesprivateradiology.ie/price-list.html €90
    but then you need consultant time and the other tests....
    some messages value what they are doing at circa €1600

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

They can put you on a cancellation list which means it could happen within weeks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Booked for May. Cheers OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Irish Kev

booked earlier today for later this week. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

GMI will also have complete control over the research and any outcomes. Participating patients do not appear to have access to their data held by GMI – and there does not seem to be a “right to be forgotten”, despite the commercial nature of the enterprise. Moreover, the genomic and clinical data may also be transmitted outside of the European Union, and thus will not be protected by the stringent data-protection laws within the EU.

I’d think hard before signing up to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

Excuse my ignorance but would this pick up the likes of Osteoporosis onset and if so would they have to tell you?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

Apparently it’s funded by the Chinese so they can use our dna to make a better dirty bomb targeted at westerners dna type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Jonesy101 wrote: »
    Apparently it’s funded by the Chinese so they can use our dna to make a better dirty bomb targeted at westerners dna type.

Sure they're already killing off with the spice bag, no need for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Booked one for May and sure will cancel when I do a full read up on it if I'm not happy. Will a Dexa scan tell if there is arthritis in joints?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Only wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but would this pick up the likes of Osteoporosis onset and if so would they have to tell you?
    You get a bone mineral density reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just looking at it there and this seems to be more a fitness test than anything medical? Its run by the sports department for one. BMI can easily be worked out and blood tests at your GP are less than 20 euro. Aside from the bone mass evaluation Im not really seeing anything worthwhile here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

redman wrote: »

Appreciate the OP posting this but would carefully consider all of the information before agreeing to take part. GMI are a for-profit company that are compiling genetic data with an aim to sell access to this to pharmaceutical companies. There's information provided on the Genofit website, but would also suggest reading some of the commentary on the company that's been published in the media this year.

As the saying goes, if you're not paying for it, you're the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just looking at it there and this seems to be more a fitness test than anything medical? Its run by the sports department for one. BMI can easily be worked out and blood tests at your GP are less than 20 euro. Aside from the bone mass evaluation Im not really seeing anything worthwhile here.

Eh, it is a fitness test, but it would, as a whole cost a lot more than €20.

Got a cancellation for friday in pearse st, gonna read up on it today and decide if im comfortable with it or not, cheers op.

how do you book for a cancellation?

do you just book a normal one and they send you a mail about cancellations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭PopTarts

I’m guessing with the current situation these are not going ahead? Has anyone had any communication from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭PopTarts

I’m guessing with the current situation these are not going ahead? Has anyone had any communication from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I haven't hear anything but i'm not booked in until July. I've been wondering what they will do with all the appointments that haven't or aren't happening through the lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭magmay

PopTarts wrote: »

Note on their web page
    Cancellation of March & April Bookings Due to COVID-19 Outbreak
    All appointments have been cancelled through April 30th. Please check this website again for further updates as they develop. We apologise for the inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Just to let you guys know that they are back taking bookings. I'm getting mine done this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

CWF wrote: »
    Just to let you guys know that they are back taking bookings. I'm getting mine done this week.

is it done online ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

is it done online ?

No its done in UCD or Pearse St

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭FierceMild

Reviving this thread just to say that I did this recently. Well worth it considering a DEXA scan is usually in the realm of fifty to a hundred quid.

Whole process took an hour or less, very professional, and, if you you're not adverse to having your genomic information being used in a study, there's no real drawbacks.

The information that you garner from the tests is well worth IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Genetic Jackhammer

FierceMild wrote: »

The information that you garner from the tests is well worth IMO.

What information do you get from the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

What information do you get from the test?

Fitness level, bone density, body composition etc etc, there's a lot in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

hi, do you get your body fat percentage or basal metabolic rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Can I book this online?? Where can I view available slots?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

CWF wrote: »
    No its done in UCD or Pearse St

Got a cancellation from them due to covid

Advertisement