Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free Google Nest Mini for Youtube Premium and Google Play Music Members

Options
1235»

Comments

In fairness, if you’re fudging the system then you shouldn’t get one. Probably saved the price of one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Surprised there are so many individuals and family groups eligible for this offer. Is everyone paying the full Irish rates of €16/m or whatever the current level is for a family premium account?

Yes I pay 14.99 a month for a family subscription and I think that's an absolute steal and would pay more. I strongly believe that music, movies and anything else that money and talent has gone into the creation of should not be accessed for free.

I realise that I am in the minority in my thinking. I do look for other ways to support specific artists more directly also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭SteM

L-M wrote: »
    Got my one today.

Pity I just re subscribed to Spotify so I could make Alexa play music for me.

The Google mini will play music from Spotify.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Yep, still not eligible here, despite having had YT Premium since last May. Although the offer page has now updated for me to say must be redeemed by 23rd January 2020, and must have had Premium on December 4th.

I definitely think GSuite accounts are not eligible, only personal accounts; which is yet another way Google loves to fúck over those of us trying to make use of their paid-for account service to have GMail on our domain...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

It’s the new Nest Mini version. Oops.

You can also opt out of anything you want, it’s extremely clear, but the tinfoil hatters don’t like to hear that bit.

Yea maybe they’re not selling well
    or Google is just being nice! Great offer and ended up with a few

I usually keep on top of all the google privacy settings, but unless you give it almost all the permissions, the device is incredibly restricted as to what it can do

I’ve taken off my tin foil hat to give it a go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,904 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I need to research it, not getting anything useful from it at the moment, I know there's loads you can do with it, just haven't figured it out yet. I'm saying hello Google and my phone is answering the same time as the nest thing. And so far all I've done is find out the weather and what time it is.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I need to research it, not getting anything useful from it at the moment, I know there's loads you can do with it, just haven't figured it out yet. I'm saying hello Google and my phone is answering the same time as the nest thing. And so far all I've done is find out the weather and what time it is.
    1. Playing Music
    2. Starting Netflix on the TV
    3. Setting Alarms
    4. Adding Calendar Entries
    5. Reminders
    6. Countdowns for cooking
    7. Searching the web for pretty much anything e.g. closing time of the Barbers in the Pavillions
    8. Sports results, KO Times, TV channels covering the matches
    9. If you have a Chromecast you can control the TV with it
    10. Making calls
    11. The weather, now, next few hours, tomorrow, rest of the week

Just some of the things I have tested so far today, and barely scratching the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

SteM wrote: »
    The Google mini will play music from Spotify.

I know. But I ditched Spotify in favour of YouTube music. I recently got Spotify again to play on Alexa and now I have a google mini. So no need for Spotify

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Brilliant, just brilliant! I have 6 members including me under my family sub. We've all been able to redeem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I have YT premium but am apparently not eligible for this offer. Not sure why since it is a normal email account etc:(

• Advertisement

Did you try this link while logged into the appropriate gmail account?

https://home.google.com/promotions?utm_campaign=GS104125&utm_source=app&utm_term=support&pli=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Inquitus wrote: »
    1. Playing Music
    3. Setting Alarms
    5. Reminders
    7. Searching the web for pretty much anything e.g. closing time of the Barbers in the Pavillions
    10. Making calls

Just some of the things I have tested so far today, and barely scratching the surface.
    This is no use at home, of course, but I have been impressed at how well Hey Google works in the car. I've taken to using it to start navigating places- so much less fumbling about starting Google Maps etc - just Hey Google and Bring me XYZ takes to where I want to go. Or hey Google show me charity shops in xxx - perfect.
    I just wish I could give her a name - she's very snooty about that - cos I feel like an idiot saying Hey Google or OK Google - dunno what else works. Saying Alexa! or Siri! seems more civilised.

And agreed - setting alarms or reminders is really easy.
    Sent a couple of texts too - it transcribed them perfectly and it's good that it does give a pause for you to confirm sending it.

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    This is no use at home, of course, but I have been impressed at how well Hey Google works in the car. I've taken to using it to start navigating places- so much less fumbling about starting Google Maps etc - just Hey Google and Bring me XYZ takes to where I want to go. Or hey Google show me charity shops in xxx - perfect.

Aye my card has a steering wheel button to trigger "Hey google" and it is excellent for kicking off navigation etc. as well as choosing what Music to play and the like.

"Navigate to O'Connell Street Lower" and off she goes. The voice recognition has really come on leaps and bounds, I find it well over 99% accurate with my accent these days, a year or so ago it was a lot worse to the point of being frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

Inquitus wrote: »
    1. Playing Music
    3. Setting Alarms
    5. Reminders
    10. Making calls

It doesn't take much to manually set an alarm, reminder, or play music. All this nest/alexa stuff is just pure laziness. "Hey speaker, remind me to get cheese in the shopping". Just remember yourself to get the bloody cheese.

In saying that, the little ones want fitbits from.Santa this year and PC World are giving them free with the fitbit ace. Now i can ask google how lazy I'm getting by not being arsed to manually change tv stations with the remote

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It doesn't take much to manually set an alarm, reminder, or play music. All this nest/alexa stuff is just pure laziness. "Hey speaker, remind me to get cheese in the shopping". Just remember yourself to get the bloody cheese.

In saying that, the little ones want fitbits from.Santa this year and PC World are giving them free with the fitbit ace. Now i can ask google how lazy I'm getting by not being arsed to manually change tv stations with the remote

Nobody is forcing you to get one.

297.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

ED E wrote: »
    Nobody is forcing you to get one.

297.png

For free no less . Some people love to be miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭kenyard

I upgraded my subscription to family account and added my mother.
    Can't get another free mini tho.
    Just in case anyone else has similar ideas.
    Seems they are strict on you needed to be subscribed on that date in the past.
    I was wondering could any of you other family accounts remove a member and then add someone else and get a mini but I guess that will have same issue I encountered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

kenyard wrote: »
    I upgraded my subscription to family account and added my mother.
    Can't get another free mini tho.
    Just in case anyone else has similar ideas.
    Seems they are strict on you needed to be subscribed on that date in the past.
    I was wondering could any of you other family accounts remove a member and then add someone else and get a mini but I guess that will have same issue I encountered.

They needed to be signed up before December 4th to avail of this offer

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Bloody delighted with ours. All 4 have arrived now. Can I ask is there a way to turn down the assistant's voice independant of the overall volume? I've tried and can't seem to figure it out. What a great free gift!

Let's all pretend that it's not part of a massive overarching plan to monitor mankind. Historians will very possibly point to this scheme as the moment that the plan reached a new level of genius by simply giving the spying devices away for free. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Realistically its a shot at Amazon, whoever takes the home will find it very easy to keep it long term. Giving out a few hundred thousand of these free at Christmas is a strong loss leader play.

@Not in Kansas - "Ok Google, turn on night mode" and she won't scream responses at you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement