Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway traffic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,657 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

John_Rambo wrote: »
    No..

You're overcomplicating crossing the road.

1 - look for a safe place with good visibility in both directions.

2 - look right and make sure there is no traffic (bikes, cars, trucks etc..) coming towards you.

3 - look left and make sure there is no traffic (bikes, cars, trucks etc..) coming towards you.

Cross the road.
    When did you NOT have to check for cyclists filtering through the gap between the car and the footpath?

Do you realise that it is attitudes like these which cyclists so unpopular?

If I'm crossing the the Parkmore Rd or Headford Rd at peak time when traffic is heavy, then the simplistic list above goes right out the window. It's simply not possible to check for undertaking cyclists in every lane before crossing, because they are hidden behind other vehicles (Transit and bigger aren't exactly see-thru!).

And when there were fewer cyclists, they tended to be less aggressive: the cyclists acknowledged that there was likelihood of pedestrians crossing between stationary cars, and adjusted their speed. Now they're far more entitled in their driving (having been told of their right to "filter"), and there are far more of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

It is not difficult or onerous for those of us blessed with the gift of sight to check one last time having crossed two or more stationary traffic lanes for filtering cyclists.

You are making 'crossing the road' out to be some sort of epic, and statistically it's vehicles, not cyclists, which pose the danger to pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

30 mins to get through Claregalway this morning at 7am...Working in Galway has become painful..Can't wait to move somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 9,497 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm speaking as a pedestrian that's already crossed several busy roads today.
    If I'm crossing the the Parkmore Rd or Headford Rd at peak time when traffic is heavy, then the simplistic list above goes right out the window. It's simply not possible to check for undertaking cyclists in every lane before crossing, because they are hidden behind other vehicles (Transit and bigger aren't exactly see-thru!).

You're making an issue out of nothing, you've never been knocked down by a cyclist. It's crossing a road, if you're unsure make your way to a pedestrian crossing or ask someone to help you.
    And when there were fewer cyclists, they tended to be less aggressive: the cyclists acknowledged that there was likelihood of pedestrians crossing between stationary cars, and adjusted their speed. Now they're far more entitled in their driving (having been told of their right to "filter"), and there are far more of them.

Cyclists have always filtered, this is nothing new. There's increase in cycling countrywide. Be careful crossing if you insist on doing so without using pedestrian lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Hmmm - you could say the same about you on these types of threads?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

**MOD NOTE**

Keep the discussion about the topic and not eachother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

At the risk of showing my age but this was one of the ways we learned to cross the road back in the day:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEssgMQ1O_k

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

UsBus wrote: »
    30 mins to get through Claregalway this morning at 7am...Working in Galway has become painful..Can't wait to move somewhere else
    Weird. I found the city traffic quiet at around 9am. I'll never understand how there can be so much variation in traffic volume at the same time every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,298 ✭✭✭✭zell12

jjpep wrote: »
    At the risk of showing my age but this was one of the ways we learned to cross the road back in the day:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEssgMQ1O_k Hope that helps.
    Stuck in my head all day now. :pac:

xckjoo wrote: »
    Weird. I found the city traffic quiet at around 9am. I'll never understand how there can be so much variation in traffic volume at the same time every day.
    It's the volume of private vehicles coming from north, east, south, converging into east Galway when Parkmore/Mervue shifts start

• Advertisement

zell12 wrote: »
    It's the volume of private vehicles coming from north, east, south, converging into east Galway when Parkmore/Mervue shifts start
    I more mean that you can go to/from work at the same time every day of every week and the volume of traffic can vary enormously. Some mornings the traffic starts outside my house, the next it's like it's a Sunday. More often the former than the latter though :D

Where do you mean by city traffic, though? Inner city is usually quiet in the mornings it's the fringes that are busy.

Overall theres no one factor, lots of things contribute:

Shift patterns - I've explained before about annual leave and the Friday effect.

College having classes vs study leave / exams. Also block courses at GMIT, which sometimes don't match term dates.

Schools having term holidays or teacher only days etc.

I'm told there's also a noticable effect on some days due to clinics being held or not at Merlin and the Galway Clinic. (Haven't been in the places where I could observe this myself. )

And the road network doesn't have much redundancy, so an accident in one place can have effects a long way away.

Weather - fine weather cyclists take the car when it rains.

As I’ve said before traffic is usually fine by 9am on.

I’ve was still tucked up in bed reading the posts earlier of people taking 30 mins to go a few km. I leave for work around 9am from 25km outside the city and get to my desk in the city in 30 to 35mins most mornings.

Leaving an hour earlier would be total hardship though. So anyone who has a bit of flexibility in work and can start around 9:30/10am will save themselves a lot of pain. Similar on the way home you are going home a bit later and will miss the worst of the traffic.

https://connachttribune.ie/funding-secured-for-13-new-bus-shelters-across-city/
    Councillor Donal Lyons says the move will support the push to encourage more people to use public transport.

Every little bit helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

zell12 wrote: »

Yes, Parkmore has become chronic morning and evenings.
    Leaving Parkmore after 4.00, you can either cue up for ages to try and get onto the motorway/Oranmore direction. If not, you can head down the hill to the Tuam road, where you can either head to town or Claregalway. Both are awful the majority of the time. That junction at the bottom of the hill should be seriously improved. And why there is no link to the curragh line without having to go into town or Claregalway, I will never know. Traffic could filter away a lot more if that option was there.

As I’ve said before traffic is usually fine by 9am on.

I’ve was still tucked up in bed reading the posts earlier of people taking 30 mins to go a few km. I leave for work around 9am from 25km outside the city and get to my desk in the city in 30 to 35mins most mornings.

Leaving an hour earlier would be total hardship though. So anyone who has a bit of flexibility in work and can start around 9:30/10am will save themselves a lot of pain. Similar on the way home you are going home a bit later and will miss the worst of the traffic.
    Evenings are the main issue for commuting in a car within the city. Mornings take 10-15mins but can take more than an hour to do the inverse trip in the evenings. Maybe if I waited until after 6 it would be faster but I've other stuff for doing.

The bus is actually faster for me getting home, but cycling beats them all.

https://connachttribune.ie/funding-secured-for-13-new-bus-shelters-across-city/
    Councillor Donal Lyons says the move will support the push to encourage more people to use public transport.

Every little bit helps.
    I'd personally take bus lanes over shelters but hopefully it's the start of something more substantial. At least people will be dry while waiting for the bus that's late :pac:

Evenings are the main issue for commuting in a car within the city. Mornings take 10-15mins but can take more than an hour to do the inverse trip in the evenings. Maybe if I waited until after 6 it would be faster but I've other stuff for doing.

The bus is actually faster for me getting home, but cycling beats them all.

I generally find the evening better on my route, I'd never leave work before 6:30 normally often later and would take me 25 to 30 mins usually to get home. There are outlier days where things are worse but the norm is grand. In fairness there other routes which are heavier in the evenings though so I'm lucky in that mine isn't bad.

I'd personally take bus lanes over shelters but hopefully it's the start of something more substantial. At least people will be dry while waiting for the bus that's late :pac:

Agree ya bus lanes are needed but shelters are essential - City Council don't even pay for the Shelters themselves (they do pay for the Groundwork preparation for them). Adshel provide Shelters and Maintenance and the Change of Advertising Posters.
    Hopefully they will consider existing locations like Parkmore, GMIT(Both could do with more Shelters.) as well as new locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Agree ya bus lanes are needed but shelters are essential - City Council don't even pay for the Shelters themselves (they do pay for the Groundwork preparation for them). Adshel provide Shelters and Maintenance and the Change of Advertising Posters.
    Hopefully they will consider existing locations like Parkmore, GMIT(Both could do with more Shelters.) as well as new locations.

Its also feasible to do the bus shelters in a relative short time period whereas bus lanes can take years of planning so its a good step.

Outside B&Q and GMIT are 2 I can think of that badly need good shelters. Anywhere the list can be viewed?

Outside B&Q and GMIT are 2 I can think of that badly need good shelters. Anywhere the list can be viewed?
    Neither included
    ykGeVAQ.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Why not Bus Eireann. surely they should be doing all they can to enhance customer experience.

MaxFlower wrote: »
    Why not Bus Eireann. surely they should be doing all they can to enhance customer experience.

Anti-competitive: If they owned the shelters, they could stop other companies buses from using the stops. It's better if the council contracts to have street-furniture provided.

MaxFlower wrote: »

Its been this way in the City since at least 2012 now, NTA now called TII had to step in as Bus Eireann were.... how to put it nicely.... doing SFA.
    TII and City Council have been a bit more proactive since then.
    Mrs OBumble might be able to confirm on the year this change happened.

Its also feasible to do the bus shelters in a relative short time period whereas bus lanes can take years of planning so its a good step.

Agree.
    Would imagine that GMIT would be making strong represntations on this??? Agree re 405 Terminus at B & Q. That Road is perhaps still a Private Road that has not been taking into ownership by the Council?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Isn't it funny how roads get funded by default, but bus shelters and bike share schemes have to get commercial sponsorship?

Maybe we should switch things around and fund sustainable transport by default and look for sponsors for roads?

How does the Coca Cola 2k Tailback sound?

We could use technology to direct mandatory video adverts onto the phones of the drivers, and force them to watch a couple of ads before they pass?

Isn't it funny how roads get funded by default, but bus shelters and bike share schemes have to get commercial sponsorship?

Maybe we should switch things around and fund sustainable transport by default and look for sponsors for roads?

We could use technology to direct mandatory video adverts onto the phones of the drivers, and force them to watch a couple of ads before they pass?

I like your thinking.
    As far as I know ADSHEL are only delighted to put up a shelter.
    It does show how lazy council have been with regards Bus Shelters when they don't even have to fully install or maintain them.

Most people will already be looking at their phones so could work. Could also use it for tolls. "Drink two Pepsi's to use this road". Might as well go whole hog on the unhealthiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Absolutely chronic this evening

I hope that the GMIT intersection re-design includes some big bus shelters - you could call it more of a hub than a shelter. (I have no idea if this is iin the plan or not, but there's plenty of GMIT owned land there to to it.

Similarly at Parkmore: Merit Medical currently have a planning application in to put a pedestrian access beside the current bus shelter. If the county council had a clue, they'd make a couple of large shelters part of the deal.

Someone asked when the council took responsibility for shelters. I checked my news announcements, and found one from 2009 which said they were about to start installing shelters on routes 9 (now called 409) and 33. But I remember standing in the rain & snow at Parkmore in 2010, so must have it taken a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,042 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

As far as I can remember, HP built the bus shelter as part of the new office build there too. This then became the new 405 terminus stop. The old terminus stop had no shelter whatsoever. Don't think it even had a timetable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement