Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General rip off examples

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

daheff wrote: »

Think of it over millions of transactions that they have annually across their group. 1 million transactions rounded up by 2c saves them 20k.

How often do you see transactions rounding down? More often than not (in my experience anyways) its rounded up.

if something is 1.98 as per your example, and you buy 2, then its 3.96 and you benefit from rounding down!

have you worked it out yet? it cost a bloody fortune to try to keep small change in the tills, its bad for the environment to have to ship bags of coins around, and i as a consumer don't want to have loads of copper coins either.

you have a choice, use contactless, or pay in cash, and if it bothers you that much, use the calculator on your smartphone to benefit from rounding down!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

if something is 1.98 as per your example, and you buy 2, then its 3.96 and you benefit from rounding down!
    True. But what if you have more that makes the last digit an 3,4,8 or 9?

As I said, retailers have analysts who will have worked out what products generally get purchased together to try to make as many transactions as possible end in a number that suits them.
    have you worked it out yet? it cost a bloody fortune to try to keep small change in the tills, its bad for the environment to have to ship bags of coins around, and i as a consumer don't want to have loads of copper coins either.

you have a choice, use contactless, or pay in cash, and if it bothers you that much, use the calculator on your smartphone to benefit from rounding down!

I think you are assuming I am bothered whether I am rounding up/down on my transactions. They are so small and infrequent that its not an issue for me.

What I am saying is that A) retailers are probably doing this for their own benefit, not the customers and B) they actually don't legally need to give you change at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Think of it over millions of transactions that they have annually across their group. 1 million transactions rounded up by 2c saves them 20k. Plus handling fees.

How often do you see transactions rounding down? More often than not (in my experience anyways) its rounded up.
    Almost every good store have an automatic calculation on their till that rounds up/down.

In addition, it only applies to cash purchases (less than 30% of purchases overall and in cities, its now less than 20%)

If they are doing a million transactions rounded up by 2c, then they are doing 5million cass transactions and probably 15 million transactions in total each year. Even at €10 av transaction, that's 150m turnover. Such a company will not notice 20k and their till systems would be the most up to date possible.

But what is also at play is the mind - you tend to notice things more that affect you negatively. Example is fuel prices when they go up by 1c or 2c, and you'll hear people complaining in minutes.

But have you seen any posts about the fuel prices dropping in the last 4 weeks (now about 3c lower than the day before the budget hat added 2c)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What I've noticed is often products are priced so if you only buy one thing then it is rounded up. i.e 98c goes to a euro. Lots of 8s and 9s in individual products. But if you are buying two products then the chance of a rounding down goes up, eg my local Supervalue I sometimes buy a packet of Meanies (78c) and a Stinger bar (29c) which comes to 1.07 so rounded down to 1.05. If I bought those two items individually then it would be 80c and 30c so 1.10 all up.

I think its a case of some you win, some you lose but over the course of a year you are only going to be up or down by a few cents. Its not worth worrying about imo and if it does get on your wick then just pay by card and you get the exact price every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Muahahaha wrote: »
    What I've noticed is often products are priced so if you only buy one thing then it is rounded up. i.e 98c goes to a euro. Lots of 8s and 9s in individual products. But if you are buying two products then the chance of a rounding down goes up, eg my local Supervalue I sometimes buy a packet of Meanies (78c) and a Stinger bar (29c) which comes to 1.07 so rounded down to 1.05. If I bought those two items individually then it would be 80c and 30c so 1.10 all up.

I think its a case of some you win, some you lose but over the course of a year you are only going to be up or down by a few cents. Its not worth worrying about imo and if it does get on your wick then just pay by card and you get the exact price every time.

My god, you eat what I ate in the 80's.

• Advertisement

silver2020 wrote: »

If they are doing a million transactions rounded up by 2c, then they are doing 5million cass transactions and probably 15 million transactions in total each year. Even at €10 av transaction, that's 150m turnover. Such a company will not notice 20k and their till systems would be the most up to date possible.

Try turnover of 52bn (tesco 17/18). take av of 200 sale amount( way overstating.. its probably a quarter of this). thats 260m transactions. So if they are making 20k per 1m transactions... that gives them scope of up to additional 5.2m in profit (plus whatever else they make from price changes & less cash handling fees).

Multiply that across several years and you have a compelling argument that retailers have an incentive to adjust pricing to round in their favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

T

Multiply that across several years and you have a compelling argument that retailers have an incentive to adjust pricing to round in their favour.

But you've absolutely zero proof of this actually happening. And your calculations are based on every transaction being cash and benefiting them by 2c, neither of which is true even if you do go to huge efforts to try and skew pricing in your favour.

So if they are making 20k per 1m transactions... that gives them scope of up to additional 5.2m in profit (plus whatever else they make from price changes & less cash handling fees).
    L1011 wrote: »
    But you've absolutely zero proof of this actually happening. And your calculations are based on every transaction being cash and benefiting them by 2c, neither of which is true even if you do go to huge efforts to try and skew pricing in your favour.

Likewise you have zero proof that its not happening.

However I do see prices that are no longer the X.X9s in the shops more and more (prices ending X.6/X.7/X.8)....I'm also noticing that more often than not, my transactions end up with the rounding being not in my favour...which only leads me to believe there is a certain amount of 'gaming' of the system by retailers to try to increase profits.

I know not all transactions are benefiting the retailer....thats why I used "if" and "up to" in my comment. I also assumed an average transaction value of 200 GBP...giving 260m transactions. Tesco have put out media slides before claiming 42m transactions a week (or 2.18BN transactions annually). So in my example I'm vastly understating the volume of transactions.

I'm not accusing any particular retailer of doing it. I'm merely suggesting that it would seem to be distinctly possible and quite possibly profitable for a large retailer to do so. They also have the sophisticated systems and resources to do it if they wish.

Also for those who think I have an issue with it on a personal level -its only a couple of cents to me. not a big issue out of my pocket..i don't think I'm that hard up that I can't face paying it or have to change to using my credit card to get around it.

Again if they didn't really care on rounding, they'd just change all prices to end in a 5 or a 0.

Anyways this is dragging off topic so I'm not going to make anymore comments about rounding.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Again if they didn't really care on rounding, they'd just change all prices to end in a 5 or a 0.

Potentially adding vastly more to their profit margin than any scheming about rounding would.

Rounding is done in many other countries. If there was some retail scheming about it it would have ended up being documented somewhere - every other bit of cost saving/margin engineering has textbooks written about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I have been buying my petrol in Applegreen for years now. Over the years I built up points and waited until they allowed you redeem points against an actual petrol purchase. I think they might have done this twice in a 10 year period.

I have no interest in discounts to Heritage sights etc which was really all that was available to spend points on.

A couple of months back I received an email to say that they were discontinuing their current points system and I had a few weeks to redeem my points. Again all that was available were pretty awful offerings. I couldn't even redeem them in their own shops or for petrol or oil.

I no longer purchase my petrol in Applegreen.

Applegreen sent you a 5/10/15/20 'cash' (fuel or shop product Euro value) voucher every Christmas if you had enough points, if that was twice in a 10 year period you bought very little there! The payout rate was tiny though; I spent enough there when I was in a road job that they phoned me to ask if I'd stopped using them for some reason (!) and used to get a tenner a year.

I await their new system but I suspect the old system was still going to have been better for very high volume users at least.

I no longer purchase my petrol in Applegreen.

Don't think they'll be too concerned. Their turnover last year was over €2,000,000,000 (2 BILLION euro)

But where's the ripoff??

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Likewise you have zero proof that its not happening.

However I do see prices that are no longer the X.X9s in the shops more and more (prices ending X.6/X.7/X.8)....I'm also noticing that more often than not, my transactions end up with the rounding being not in my favour...which only leads me to believe there is a certain amount of 'gaming' of the system by retailers to try to increase profits.

If the prices are going from X.X9 to X.X8, X.X7 or X.X6 then the prices are getting cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Make up sponges, pack reduced from 20 to 8. Still same price.
    Shop: Superdrug

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭earlyapex

Easons
    I bought at book for €20.
    The following week that book is priced at €25 as its now included in a 3 for 2 offer. So you think you're getting the third book for free? No, you just overpaid for the first two by 25%.

earlyapex wrote: »
    Easons
    I bought at book for €20.
    The following week that book is priced at €25 as its now included in a 3 for 2 offer. So you think you're getting the third book for free? No, you just overpaid for the first two by 25%.

Hardly a rip-off?

One promotion ends, a new promotion begins.

One promo, you get the book reduced by 20% and you don't have to buy anything else to get the discount , the other promo requires you to buy 2 other items to get a discount.

That's how retail works these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

So just went in for something for the child.

Sign says 4 euro until 4pm, 5 euro after.

So ordered and he says 5.50. I pointed out the sign and he ignored it. I walked away.

I wonder how many people go into Roma takeaway and order for the family and don't notice they are overcharging people on the kids deals ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I had to laugh at this this. Twirl bars in the clearance section of Tesco. Reduced from €1.15 to €1.14.

Then when you look at the UK RRP on them it is 55p.

UK RRP of 55p

• Advertisement

You want your head checked if you buy bars singly though. I am always amazed they dedicate such a large section to it. 55p is still expensive

a 48g snickers is €1.15 in tesco. You get 10x51g snickers in dealz for €3, that is over 10.5 48g bars.

rubadub wrote: »
    You want your head checked if you buy bars singly though. I am always amazed they dedicate such a large section to it. 55p is still expensive

a 48g snickers is €1.15 in tesco. You get 10x51g snickers in dealz for €3, that is over 10.5 48g bars.
    Ah pretty much knew that already. For the purposes of the thread I was just highlighting how they were justifying putting them in the clearance section by reducing the price by one cent and all the while the UK price is dramatically less.

Regarding your own point though, you could say the same about a lot of confectionery and them kinda on the go minerals and crisps etc. Still if that is the case then a lot would want their head checked. I know from working in a Centra many moons ago them overpriced snacks absolutely fly out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I was badly stuck at the weekend go get the mower going again after a problem that necessitated the oil being drained. No motor factors open.

Circle K Blessington, Co. Wicklow €18.99 for ONE litre of 5w30 synthetic motor oil!!!

I would be used to buying 5 litres for about €34.00 in the motor factors.

I was badly stuck at the weekend go get the mower going again after a problem that necessitated the oil being drained. No motor factors open.

Circle K Blessington, Co. Wicklow €18.99 for ONE litre of 5w30 synthetic motor oil!!!

Christ sake. I bought 4 litres of Castrol Magnatec 5W30 in Hellfrauds for €19.20 lately when it was on offer there and think it was closer to €17 for it when I presented my now very out of date Axa card.
    On a side note are you sure 5W30 is good to be putting into your lawnmower?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Christ sake. I bought 4 litres of Castrol Magnatec 5W30 in Hellfrauds for €19.20 lately when it was on offer there and think it was closer to €17 for it when I presented my now very out of date Axa card.
    On a side note are you sure 5W30 is good to be putting into your lawnmower?

Yep. That's what the manual says.

What do you use?

Yep. That's what the manual says.

What do you use?
    You know what, scrap my comment! That seems right enough after I checked the half empty bottle. Synthetic 5W30. More used to chucking it into the car and there was me thinking for some reason that the generally recommended oil for a typical lawnmower was a much thicker oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

If your ever that stuck again if there is a Tesco Extra near you try them out first, you'd get oil there. That's some price for a litre of oil in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Monthly prescription:

Mc Cabes pharmacy €22.50.

Exactly the same medicine in Pure pharmacy €7.50

Monthly prescription:

Mc Cabes pharmacy €22.50.

Exactly the same medicine in Pure pharmacy €7.50

I got savings there too, not as much as that though. They are usually giving generics in pure and many other pharmacies do not do so unless you ask, and even then some just do not bother stocking them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Pharmacies are definitely one that needs to be looked out for especially if you're in a rural area. In my local town there are three pharmacies which are all owned by the one person. As to why there are three within 400 metres of each other I dont know but I can only speculate he went a bit mad during the Celtic Tiger buying up property.

Either way I doubt another pharmacy would get planning permission in the town now to compete with him so he is effectively operating as a local cartel as there are no other pharmacies within a 15km radius. And it shows in his prices- last year I was charged 77 euro for a script, complete shock to me but I paid it and went home fuming. Rang Boots and priced it up with them- 49 euro. Both prices were for generics. Of course with medications you cant bring them back even if the bag is still sealed up with their own sticker so that was an expesive lesson. I havent darkened his door since and nor will I ever again.

Advertisement