Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Confident - in, of, with, about?

• 13-10-2019 1:41pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The more I think about it, the less sense the words make, so I'm looking for help, please. :o

What preposition would you use after "confident" to indicate that you trust both the way you carried out your work, and the outcome of the work itself? For instance, if you were to use the word "work" after "confident", the former would indicate both your efforts and their outocome (in a way, the opposite of "The operation was a success, but we lost the patient").

Would you say "I'm confident in/of/with/about the work"?

To me, "with" would fit more with the meaning I'm looking for, but what do you guys think?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'd change it slightly to "I have confidence in the work".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks S., but this is for a leaflet that will say just "Confident + preposition + your work?" (specifying the type of work) and the details of a workshop.

But going by your sentence, you'd use "in" then, would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

All depends on context, if you are attempting to express a confidence in the ability of the worker and the workmanship of the completed job, there can be different and are in this case may be both different yet linked.

As srameen mentions above, a singular sentence can express both confidence in the worker and the quality of the finished work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

All depends on context, if you are attempting to express a confidence in the ability of the worker and the workmanship of the completed job, there can be different and are in this case may be both different yet linked.

As srameen mentions above, a singular sentence can express both confidence in the worker and the quality of the finished work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

As 'confident' it becomes an adjective.

There are many possibilities depending on intended usage.

Confident in + posessive pronoun + "ability to..." = "I think I/he/they etc. can [do that]"
    Confident of (+ possessive pronoun) + gerund (e.g. "being able to + infinitive", "winning") (+ noun) = "I'm sure that I can/will [do that]", or with a pronoun "I'm sure that he/they etc. can/will [do that]"
    Confident about (+ pronoun) + gerund (e.g. "going", "driving" + place, etc.) = "I'm not worried about (him/they etc.) [doing that]"
    Confident that + subject + will/would (usually) + verb + object = "I'm sure that subj. will [do that to] obj."

About may be the nearest. But I don't think there's a hard and fast rule or anything fundamentally wrong with any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,011 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would use in or possibly of in those circumstances. They have a slightly different shade of meaning but it depends on exactly what you are trying to say. I'm repeating Srameen here but to me 'confident in' means being confident in the process of doing it, whereas 'confident of' means confident of the outcome.

Is there one that indicates both?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,011 ✭✭✭✭looksee

On balance I'd say 'in' as it can just about be read either way.

Thanks, everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement