Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do you convince people god exists?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I was brought up a catholic, attended mass regularly and said my prayers at night. Then came the internet, knowledge and church scandals that planted the seeds of doubt. Then a friend of mine suggested I check out Richard Dawkins book the "God Delusion", I got to the end of that book and it was almost like a religious experience, an awakening of sorts. The catholic religion is merely a collection of religious beliefs gathered over thousands of years and put together. The use of local pagan events like the winter solstice on the 25th of December helped ease the transition for the non believers. Part of me still hopes there is some kind of afterlife but not the one that organised religion has been selling and using as a form of control for centuries. On the subjects of an afterlife I read a book called the "Spirit Molecule" that explains DMT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Panrich

It isn't so easy to prove God exists, but impossible to reasonably know He does not exist.

Albeit you claim it isn’t so easy to prove God exists, your assertion indicates that it is possible. I think we have been waiting around here for a long time for someone to come along with a proof of Gods existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Tbh I think the whole atheist trend that is happening now will turn out to be just a phase we go through..

So much of it is like listening to a disgruntled 15 year old..

I'm impressed. The disgruntled 15-year-olds you know seem to have got the hang of critical thinking. There's hope for mankind yet, it seems.

It isn't so easy to prove God exists, but impossible to reasonably know He does not exist.

Which one?

storker wrote: »
    I'm impressed. The disgruntled 15-year-olds you know seem to have got the hang of critical thinking. There's hope for mankind yet, it seems.

Yeah..and it's all ill thought out 2 dimensional understanding, and thinking they're always right..

I feel this thread would have been a lot better off being left in AH..
    Now you'll just get a load of atheists coming in with quips and a misplaced air of intellectual superiority..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

With all due respect the height of critical thinking I've ever heard from an atheist is I can't see him therefore he doesn't exist.

Their arguments have always struck me as basic and rather childish.

Yeah..and it's all ill thought out 2 dimensional understanding, and thinking they're always right..

Now you'll just get a load of atheists coming in with quips and a misplaced air of intellectual superiority..

God forbid anyone have an opinion:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

OK, so prove them wrong. Answer this post with your proof that God exists.

OK, so prove them wrong. Answer this post with your proof that God exists.

Shur Moses saw him in the burning bush that time..

There is a theory that Moses got high on DMT from the burning bush and saw "God"

• Advertisement

There is a theory that Moses got high on DMT from the burning bush and saw "God"

Ooohhh.. How cutting edge..

Is that a typo? Did you mean "Cutting hedge"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dexter2019

How do you in history?

And how do you do it now?

With all the evidence etc.

Where is this God?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

You could show them near death experience videos on YouTube. You will even find hardened criminals, who following their n.d.e. became preachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

kneemos wrote: »
    With all due respect the height of critical thinking I've ever heard from an atheist is I can't see him therefore he doesn't exist.

Their arguments have always struck me as basic and rather childish.

But, but there's a pretty flower! God did it!

Not half as simplistic, eh?

Now here's a 2 year-old with leukemia. God has a different plan...

Is that a typo? Did you mean "Cutting hedge"?

Touche..

Pherekydes wrote: »
    But, but there's a pretty flower! God did it!

Not half as simplistic, eh?

Now here's a 2 year-old with leukemia. God has a different plan...

If life is so meaningless/ pointless, you could always throw yourself off a bridge.

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    You could show them near death experience videos on YouTube. You will even find hardened criminals, who following their n.d.e. became preachers.

The brain releases doses of DMT from the pineal gland in times of severe stress. When we are born, when we almost die and probably when we die. This is the spirit molecule, probably what aids dreaming. Most everyone that has smoked DMT reports talking to beings or entities and feeling overwhelming love. Bright lights etc. Sound familiar?

You should read "The Darkening Age". The early Christian Church literally bullied, beat, stabbed and burnt the intellectual curiosity out of Europe. The only way it could propagate itself.

But it's the One True Religion!

Yes..we get it.. you watched the spirit molecule..

• Advertisement

Yes..we get it.. you watched the spirit molecule..

Theres a movie? whoohoo

If life is so meaningless/ pointless, you could always throw yourself off a bridge.

The good Christian response!

Meaning is what you make it yourself. Make it good, because there's no after-life.

Pherekydes wrote: »

You should read "The Darkening Age". The early Christian Church literally bullied, beat, stabbed and burnt the intellectual curiosity out of Europe. The only way it could propagate itself.

But it's the One True Religion!

First line of the first review I found of it..

Catherine Nixey cherry-picks historical evidence in her unevenly researched book The Darkening Age.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

Find a way to lower someone's IQ.

The brain releases doses of DMT from the pineal gland in times of severe stress. When we are born, when we almost die and probably when we die. This is the spirit molecule, probably what aids dreaming. Most everyone that has smoked DMT reports talking to beings or entities and feeling overwhelming love. Bright lights etc. Sound familiar?

Just remember the take three hits of the DMT, the third one is crucial apparently. Well from what I’ve heard on Joe Rogan, the d.m.t. experience is much more trippy than an n.d.e. People who have died and come back have been shown every year of their life and the good and bad they have carried out. A bit different to talking to a psychedelic looking pink alien.

Just remember the take three hits of the DMT, the third one is crucial apparently. Well from what I’ve heard on Joe Rogan, the d.m.t. experience is much more trippy than an n.d.e. People who have died and come back have been shown every year of their life and the good and bad they have carried out. A bit different to talking to a psychedelic looking pink alien.

I haven't had the pleasure of either experience so can't speculate

First line of the first review I found of it..

Catherine Nixey cherry-picks historical evidence in her unevenly researched book The Darkening Age.

Well, duh. How big would a history book be if it included everything in history?

Every defender of the church cherry picks history to their heart's content.

Is any of her book untrue?

Extremely damning of the church. Some of their tactics were still being used when I was in school.

"Read this, not that..."

Cherry picking the Bible.

But, yeah, cherry picking...:rolleyes:

Well it's being written to an agenda..
    Probably sold like hot cakes amongst the Dawkins acolytes..
    So, well, really, I would just disregard it tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

No harm to have an open mind,unless you believe everything we know is all there is to know.

To be rather aggressively cock sure that God doesn't exist just has a hint of a teenage rebellious tantrum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

There are no atheists in foxholes.

For your consideration:

http://militaryatheists.org/atheists-in-foxholes/

(Ah, I see that donspeekinglesh has beaten me to it).

Advertisement