Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Ryanair discusion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

rivegauche wrote: »
    I don't need to continue allowing you to drag the thread off-topic. I've established that the response as presented is not credible.

It’s amazing how every time that you are proven wrong with everything you say that you go straight to the ‘dragging the thread off-topic’ line when it was you who had started the point of the pax and the moving of seat due to tech issues, you really seem to be not that bright of a person!
    The person couldn’t sit in 17F due to a technical issue, the pax got moved to 16A but refused to sit there, was offered another available seat and took it but still had a song and dance about it and went to the local rags for a bit of fame.
    If the dispatcher tells the cabin crew that this certain seat is for this certain pax and someone else is seated there, the pax seated there is asked to produce their boarding card and move to their designated seat. It’s not an exact rocket science but it seems to go right over your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

billie1b wrote: »
    It’s amazing how every time that you are proven wrong with everything you say that you go straight to the ‘dragging the thread off-topic’ line when it was you who had started the point of the pax and the moving of seat due to tech issues, you really seem to be not that bright of a person!
    The person couldn’t sit in 17F due to a technical issue, the pax got moved to 16A but refused to sit there, was offered another available seat and took it but still had a song and dance about it and went to the local rags for a bit of fame.
    If the dispatcher tells the cabin crew that this certain seat is for this certain pax and someone else is seated there, the pax seated there is asked to produce their boarding card and move to their designated seat. It’s not an exact rocket science but it seems to go right over your head.

How did this end up in this thread? I've already addressed this topic on another thread from which is was deleted and shown that the official response as to how the Customer was catered for was not credible.
    In short, it is highly unlikely that 16A was offered to the passenger because a) it was probably already filled by a paying passenger or an interloper and Billie1B concedes that flight attendants do check overwing seats for interlopers and able bodied passengers able to perform the duties expected of them during emergencies. The only response Billie1B can give to that is that the poster must be lying despite having no motivation to lie as if 16A was really available it would have been a perfectly acceptable alternative to 17F.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Was on a flight back from Malaga earlier.

There appears to be a lot more leg room. Great! Must be new acquisitions of planes or else they are moving the seats!

Can anyone confirm?

I like RYR, cannot get going with AL for some reason, mostly confusing rules, but I am not dissing them depending on the destination. I suppose I am used to the drill with RYR by now, it is faultless when they are NOT on strike ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭IQO

Was on a flight back from Malaga earlier.

There appears to be a lot more leg room. Great! Must be new acquisitions of planes or else they are moving the seats!

Can anyone confirm?
    Probably not more legroom, just thinner seat backs:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/Ryanair-reveals-its-new-plane-interiors-and-theres-a-distinct-lack-of-yellow/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

IQO wrote: »

But, this was today, not 2019!

Anyway there is more room for yer footsies, or else my legs have shrunk :P

Edit, my apologies, for some reason this Indo article came up mentioning 2019.

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/ryanair-reveals-new-slimline-seats-and-celebrates-with-a-flash-sale-35994231.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

The OP has one bad experience and applies it to all flights. Schonefeld is a bad airport and there is no room enough for waiting or queuing so the situation is more caused by the airport than Ryanair (I had the same with Aer Lingus in Tegel by the way for the same reason).

I fly at least once weekly and mostly with Ryanair. The priority does work when the airport can facilitate it. It works quite well in Dublin, for instance. I do notice that most people now just take it so they can take a trolley on board, more than being first.

Also, the difference between the new and old seats is around 3-4 cm of leg room. Does not seem much but it counts. My experience is that most planes have the new seating (fortunately). Only one of the 10 flights I took in the last 30 days had the old seating.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

How did this end up in this thread? I've already addressed this topic on another thread from which is was deleted and shown that the official response as to how the Customer was catered for was not credible.
    In short, it is highly unlikely that 16A was offered to the passenger because a) it was probably already filled by a paying passenger or an interloper and Billie1B concedes that flight attendants do check overwing seats for interlopers and able bodied passengers able to perform the duties expected of them during emergencies. The only response Billie1B can give to that is that the poster must be lying despite having no motivation to lie as if 16A was really available it would have been a perfectly acceptable alternative to 17F.
    This chain of posts was moved from the FR industrial relations thread as it was not on that topic. A debate about a report in The Sun about a single incident on a flight is more suited to this ‘General thread’.
    I had considered deleting it altogether as it was essentially conjecture about a customer service issue and was “he said, she said” level of discourse.’

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Anyone know when Ryanair issue their timetables for 2019 for bremen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

vicwatson wrote: »
    Anyone know when Ryanair issue their timetables for 2019 for bremen?

The route has likely been pulled for now. The base has been closed for the winter and there is a chance it won't open again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭trellheim

Seat Pitch on the newer fit is much the same very slightly worse seat quality in terms of comfiness. All in all the newer 738s are worse than the old , the gaspers ( air vents for passengers) are worse on the new planes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

trellheim wrote: »
    Seat Pitch on the newer fit is much the same very slightly worse seat quality in terms of comfiness. All in all the newer 738s are worse than the old , the gaspers ( air vents for passengers) are worse on the new planes

I actually found the new seats to be better and a little more roomy than the old. The tray table is smaller but I dont order meals on Ryanair so really only need it at times for my tablet which i find the new one grand for. The luggage lockers are also much improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Stevek101 wrote: »
    The route has likely been pulled for now. The base has been closed for the winter and there is a chance it won't open again.

I think it was only a “summer” schedule anyway? Until the end of october, don’t know when it started

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Earlier this year HRH and I took DUB-PFO.

I don’t think I appreciated just how hideously uncomfortable FR seats get after more than two hours. If I ever do that flight again I’ll be bringing a cushion.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Noxegon wrote: »
    Earlier this year HRH and I took DUB-PFO.

I don’t think I appreciated just how hideously uncomfortable FR seats get after more than two hours. If I ever do that flight again I’ll be bringing a cushion.

I did SNN TFS a few years ago with FR. 4hrs. in those seats was very uncomfortable and unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

vicwatson wrote: »
    I think it was only a “summer” schedule anyway? Until the end of october, don’t know when it started

It did go seasonal alright but the base remained open in Bremen. With rising fuel prices and an ever toughening stance from the German unions its likely we will see cuts to their marginal German operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

http://twitter.com/ingridmileyRTE/status/1051586723988279297

Crew sleep on the floor when there is no hotel for them as they are all booked out. As one person says....no hotels...in the low season...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Crew sleep on the floor when there is no hotel for them as they are all booked out. As one person says....no hotels...in the low season...

If it is accurate information it’s simply unacceptable.

Any justification for this is just excuses. If a company like Ryanair wants to make things right in such situation, they can.

I once was stuck in Singapore during a business trip due to the Icelandic volcano ashes and it was a pain to find a hotel as many flights had been cancelled. My company just asked their travel agency to sort me out regardless of cost, and while it cost 500 euros for the night I did have proper sleep in a nice hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Thundering disgrace. Couldn't find hotel accommodation going into low season in the Costa del Sol? Utter BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'm not one to defend the regression of workers rights, but the photo looks very staged. I'd imagine it did happen that they weren't put up, but cmon who actually sleeps like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Comhrá

The story seems to have a factual basis ok:

https://www.airlive.net/a-ryanair-crew-had-to-sleep-on-briefing-rooms-floor-in-malaga-airport/
    A Ryanair crew based in Portugal was stranded in Malaga, Spain due to storm.

A photo has emerged of flight attendants and Pilots forced to sleep on the floor in the briefing room in Malaga, Spain after an Autumn storm temporarily grounded flights.

The six members of cabin crew are seen trying to sleep on the hard floor without pillows or blankets.

Regarding this photo, Peter Bellew – chief operations at Ryanair – confirmed tha crew had to sleep in the room and apologized no accommodation could be found.

Peter Bellew claims the cabin crew members were able to move to VIP lounge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

There is another picture doing the rounds of a whatsapp message saying that the crew were never offered a VIP room.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Really unacceptable. If every hotel around the airport was booked, they should have put the crew in a taxi and kept it driving till they were at somewhere with rooms. They're in Malaga, a coastline drenched with more hotels than you can see in a lifetime. Sounds more like the inflexibility with regards to local decision making saw them left there like that. Really disgraceful, and not at all good for operational safety either - kipping on a floor or in an airline lounge is hardly conducive to a good rest before flying onward again.

Nijmegen wrote: »
    If every hotel around the airport was booked, they should have put the crew in a taxi and kept it driving till they were at somewhere with rooms.
    How far exactly do you expect them to get in weather like this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEphsvQL2uI

How far exactly do you expect them to get in weather like this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEphsvQL2uI

When a storm hits Malaga, water overflows the sewers and goes down some of the hill roads like that. Looks more dramatic than it is in effect. Portugal got the hurricane, Spain got the rain.

As for Ryanair, in any event if they were diverting 800 pax worth of ships to Malaga and the weather and hotel situation wasn't lining up they should have diverted elsewhere.

Nijmegen wrote: »
    When a storm hits Malaga, water overflows the sewers and goes down some of the hill roads like that. Looks more dramatic than it is in effect. Portugal got the hurricane, Spain got the rain.

As for Ryanair, in any event if they were diverting 800 pax worth of ships to Malaga and the weather and hotel situation wasn't lining up they should have diverted elsewhere.
    have you heard of the expression "any port in a storm". It seems apt here.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭defrule

Does any know what their cabin bag policy is at the moment? It seems to say, without priority you can only bring something like a woman’s handbag.

What about people who just carry on normal bag carried on the back? (Not a rucksack, just a normal school bag sized one)

have you heard of the expression "any port in a storm". It seems apt here.

Perhaps so. If so then it really is unfortunate that the airline trying to fight its reputation for nastiness at a time of industrial strife is the one that ends up with its staff and passengers sleeping on the floor. If I were them I'd look at ways to try and mitigate this sort of thing happening or make sure when it happens the experience is mitigated, as it really reinforces the notion that when you have 2 or more choices, don't go with Ryanair - The risk of strikes, or just plain old bad weather landing you on an airport floor perhaps more often than with someone else (it seems). In the long run it could erode their growth at a time when some other airlines are coming up with similar operating cost models in Europe that might nobble them a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

It’s unacceptable for any airline crew to have to sleep on the floor of a crew room overnight, I understand there were extreme circumstances but it really isn’t an excuse. It’s just another example of bad management which stems from the general attitude Ryanair has towards its staff. It’s even worse if these crew members were expected to work the next day.

As for the photo itself, I have no doubt it was somewhat staged to make a point but that doesn’t take away from the fact they had to stay there.

Clearly there are some very unhappy people working at Ryanair right now.

Advertisement