Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Maybe Nvidia were actually being sound, and not letting us get 3080s at launch for our own good so we'd wait for the 6900XT to be launched and any Super/Ti variants be announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It's more like 70-90% improvement with RT and 50-60% improvement without it. It's a much bigger gap.

Not the same for every benchmark but overall that seems to be the case.

I don't know how he came to that conclusion based on the graphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Cordell

Probably he was expecting to see the RT and non RT performance improvements to be adding up together, ignoring where the bottleneck is and how it's being affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Longing wrote: »
    Gigabyte confirms GeForce RTX 3060 8GB, RTX 3070 16GB and RTX 3080 20G

https://videocardz.com/newz/gigabyte-confirms-geforce-rtx-3060-8gb-rtx-3070-16gb-and-rtx-3080-20gb

Going to wait for the 20G 3080. Sometime after Big Navi.

The only thing I had any concerns with in the 30 series was the amount of RAM. This has made me rethink my immediate purchasing plans. I normally buy cards with the aim of making them last as long as possible and that 3080 20G looks more "future proofed" than whats available now.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Considering cancelling order and waiting for 3070 16gb...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

That 16GB 3070S/Ti with 6144 Cuda cores is looking mighty tempting!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Looks like most people won't be receiving cards anytime soon. OCUK posted some updates on their forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/ocuk-nvidia-rtx-3080-series-update-thread-on-deliveries-how-to-cancel-your-order.18899277/

If they are volunteering info on Nov/Dec for shipments then you could see 2021 as a delivery time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Giblet wrote: »
    Looks like most people won't be receiving cards anytime soon. OCUK posted some updates on their forums.

Yeah got an email saying my order was out of stock and that I'm in a queue. Could be a long wait

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

When the 1660 was launched I remember there was a perception that it was deliberately "hobbled" by having 6GB of RAM so that it wouldn't suck sales away from the 20 series by essentially being a 20 series without the ray tracing (which not many wanted anyway).

The 3070 with 8GB and 3080 with 10GB seem similar but what are nVidia afraid of? Big Navi? The 3090 not selling?

• Advertisement

When the 1660 was launched I remember there was a perception that it was deliberately "hobbled" by having 6GB of RAM so that it wouldn't suck sales away from the 20 series by essentially being a 20 series without the ray tracing (which not many wanted anyway).

The 3070 with 8GB and 3080 with 10GB seem similar but what are nVidia afraid of? Big Navi? The 3090 not selling?

I think Moore's Law is Dead (go back a bit) is right on the money.

My personal view is it's so they can respond to Big Navi - IF needed. I think we'll be waiting a while for these Super/Ti cards if Big Navi disappoints. IF Big Navi is not a lame duck then we'll see them much sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Judging by the power of these cards and the pricing I'd say they are afraid of big Navi. If the top Navi is supposed to handily beat the 2080ti then that put's it in competition with the 3080. It's also going to have 16gb of memory.

Price I would say will be also around the 10gb 3080 depending on performance.

My only concern is it's GDDR6 on a 256bit bus, but apparently magic is happening...

Have to say that RTX3080 TUF gaming is a very nice card, it's a shame you never get anything as premium with the AMD board partners. I espeicially like 2 x HDMI connectors for useful for a HMD and a TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Aye saw that. Had a lol but I hope they get their accounts back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

cookie1977 wrote: »
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/ocuk-nvidia-rtx-3080-series-update-thread-on-deliveries-how-to-cancel-your-order.18899277/

If they are volunteering info on Nov/Dec for shipments then you could see 2021 as a delivery time.

is their website down again?

BArra wrote: »
    is their website down again?
    Seems to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

I wonder is there more to it than just reporting? was there a nasty message along with? we can only take that peron's word for it. I've been on adverts years, have seen some crazy stuff that was left up without any repurcussions. I've also seen people leave unwarranted feedback or mistakingly left negative feedback but their comment will say "Great seller, highly recommended" and the negative remains ... never had anyone do this on me thankfully. Point being though, that Adverts don't seem to act on it a lot of the time, if someone leaves you negative feedback by mistake or without good reason good luck trying to get it removed.

I have seen scammers removed/banned though, and got messages from Admin telling me not to deal with certain scam members after they'd made obvious scam offer on my listings [example they will offer way over the asking price and ask that you send the item abroad or by courier for them to inspect before they would pay]

Sadly, there is no rule stating that you can't sell above the retail price, they also cannot prove the seller doesn't have the item. It really is up to the buyer to beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭circadian

Why are people paying crazy prices (in theory) for these cards? Are they unaware of the 3090 for probably similar or even less than they're willing to pay?

I doubt half of the ads even have them ordered, something doesn't add up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Missed this earlier. I'm still running the old faithful 1660, and for 1080p gaming it stilkl rocks. Sure, there's shinier, better performing cards out there for 1080p that will nicely bring you up to 1440p when needed but, as is I'm a happy gamer. I don't miss what I never experienced

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

cookie1977 wrote: »

In all honesty though most lauches are usually tough for initial buyers as stock is limited, its even worse this year because were all unable to travel, shyteloads of events have been cancelled to mid 2021 or later etc, its meant that with people wfh and having extra cash depending on what job they have and building a new rig is an in demand thing right now.

Honestly I'm tempted to grab even one 3090 if I see it, but I think its gonna be tough to get anything till January myself as demand will be so high expecially in the run up to christmas and the fact it's always a bit of a pain getting this sort of hardware to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

circadian wrote: »
    Why are people paying crazy prices (in theory) for these cards? Are they unaware of the 3090 for probably similar or even less than they're willing to pay?

I doubt half of the ads even have them ordered, something doesn't add up.

When the 3090 comes out, they will be right out to get it too. Some people have to have the newest thing, regardless of the cost or benefit to them. Sometimes the money means nothing to them, sometimes it means nothing to them but it should.

I agree with adverts standpoint though, there used to be loads of bickering in the for sale forums here before the same rule was implemented. If somebody wants to purchase a 2nd hand or pre-built system at a hugely inflated cost, its up to them to do their research.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah I just stay away from those discussions on Adverts. It is baffling to see people paying over the odds there quite frequently for old 2nd hand things, but is it their money and clearly they haven't done any research.

Some things I get. Like paying a bit more for an i7-7700 or 4790 or whatever than is economically sensible because you're not bothered with a full platform change....understandable.

It's the GPU's that I really fail to understand. In some cases it's just pure impatience, someone wants something immediately, but not always. People paying "new" prices for several year old 2nd hand cards when the new options are a) cheaper b) perform as good or better with other benefits and c) well, literally, new

Now he didn't get any bites I don't think but I saw a guy selling an R9 390 for 300 the other day on adverts. Talk about a time warp.

Bit OT but the one I don't get is SSD prices on adverts. Firstly you've no idea what was stored on them, secondly why would I pay the new price, or in some cases more, for a second hand one? Ordered RAM from Amazon on Wednesday and had it delivered to the door by Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Kinda crazy to think scan took 700 euro off me for a product that they don't even know if they'll have out to me for months.

Pre-ordering/putting a deposit down is fine, but they take a 100% deposit and then tell you you better hold onto your order cause if you cancel the prices have gone up so **** you kinda thing.

I'm not even that fussed about having it right away, something near or after the Cyberpunk launch would be good. But the way it's handled leaves a rotten feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

To all the amazon.de Zotac buyers.

We ain't getting those cards any time soon.

Amazon's stock contollers ****ed up, they sold thousands, they had a fraction of in stock.

Kinda crazy to think scan took 700 euro off me for a product that they don't even know if they'll have out to me for months.

Pre-ordering/putting a deposit down is fine, but they take a 100% deposit and then tell you you better hold onto your order cause if you cancel the prices have gone up so **** you kinda thing.

I'm not even that fussed about having it right away, something near or after the Cyberpunk launch would be good. But the way it's handled leaves a rotten feeling
    That's what I'm debating with respect to Overclockers. 850 euro for the EVGA black XC3. Not sure if I should hang in till possibly 2021 or refund now (Overclockers offering a refund via a form).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah it was fairly shítty of OC and Scan to take the full amount considering they didn't really have any idea what stock levels were like. They really should've done limited pre-orders similar to the likes of the PS5 or Xbox for 50 quid or whatever, I don't think anyone would've been too pissed at them when it was revealed how low stock levels are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

BTW looking at the RTX 3080 PCB shots, I'm not so sure that 20Gb 3080 models will exist - they might keep that configuration for 3090 & maybe produce a 12Gb Ti/Super variant.

front.jpg

Advertisement