Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Ongoing Doctor Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,002 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Guys when will we know who gets this role?:o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Guys when will we know who gets this role?:o

Realistically it won't be til nearer Christmas this year; Chris Chibnall has said he hasn't even started working on his tenure as show-runner while he's still working on Broadchurch, and given that choosing a new Doc will be his first job we may all just wait n' see. Until then anything reported really is just newspaper tattle!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well Capaldi's last series isn't far away; BBC America released a trailer for the new run, complete with air-date: 15th April. Apparently both the UK and America will broadcast the same day so that date applies for those of us watching on the European side of the Atlantic.

Included is a trailer I suspect was made specifically as a promo, and not part of any specific episode

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Tilda Swinton from Doctor Strange odds on favourite.

Wouldn't be her first role as a time traveller whose hopped between genders. Orlando anyone? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Massive pinch of salt, but it is reported today in the Daily Mail that
    Kris Marshall
    has been cast as the next doctor.
    Seems like the type alright, but I think many were expecting a woman.

• Advertisement

IIRC, Chris Chibnall said in an interview (this is about 1-2 months ago) that he's still only working on Broadchurch & hasn't even had a chance to properly sit down with his vision for Dr. Who, including putting together an action plan on finding the next Doctor. Based on how the BBC go about finding a new Doctor, there'll be no casting until all the main heads get together to write an open script to let auditions put their own spin on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Small possibility, pure speculation based on what's seen so far.
    Peter does indeed regenerate at the end of this series as is teased in some trailers and let's say for arguments sake it is KM , However, KM turns out not to be Chibnalls first Doctor and instead, like John Hurt, he's a 1 off Doctor for the Christmas special and regenerates again at the end of the special leaving Chibnall with a clean slate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Urgh, Kris Marshall?! Met him once during the Galway Film Fleadh and he was an absolute arsehole. He'd be an awful Doctor in terms of the ambassadorial role that the actors tend to play off screen.

Methinks the tabloids' strategy is simply channel-hopping and looking out for vaguely geeky or goofy looking British actors tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

I think that the trend of the actor playing DW shuffling off...ahem...sorry...regenerating after 3 series damages the franchise.

It takes at least one series to get used to the new face/personality and one suspects it takes the scriptwriters a while to come up with a few unique idiosyncracies and eccentricities....

Curious that my three favourite Doctors have been the ones that remained in the role the longest (Baker (7), Tennant(4.5), Pertwee(4.5))....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

pixelburp wrote: »
    IIRC, Chris Chibnall said in an interview (this is about 1-2 months ago) that he's still only working on Broadchurch & hasn't even had a chance to properly sit down with his vision for Dr. Who, including putting together an action plan on finding the next Doctor. Based on how the BBC go about finding a new Doctor, there'll be no casting until all the main heads get together to write an open script to let auditions put their own spin on things.

Given they've already wrapped the current series which Capaldi has confirmed is his last, I'd say it's highly likely they've not only cast the new Doctor, but actually filmed the regeneration. I believe Capaldi has already said he's filmed "his death". Obviously he may be throwing out mis-info and the regen is set for the Xmas special as seems to be the norm these days.

He also said on Graham Norton that he had yet to do the Christmas special...

Are we going to have another drawn out regeneration (a la Tennant?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I think it's a shame to change doctors again.

As mentioned earlier this every three season new doctor approach is a bit silly.

Last season he was really getting into the roll.

Well looks like The Mirror are on a roll, knocking out another couple of questionable rumours. So now they're claiming
    not only will Bill depart at the end of series 10, but David Bradley will also play the 1st doctor in the finale. Now, given we see the original cybermen in the trailer I presume the wild speculation is that the story will revolve around the Doctors very first regeneration I guess?
    . Frankly I don't believe either of them, least of all the first.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

exaisle wrote: »
    I think that the trend of the actor playing DW shuffling off...ahem...sorry...regenerating after 3 series damages the franchise.

It takes at least one series to get used to the new face/personality and one suspects it takes the scriptwriters a while to come up with a few unique idiosyncracies and eccentricities....
    I agree with you but in each instance the actor chose to move on - what can they do really? It's not like the later stages of the original run when the BBC forced the change, such as poor Colin Baker.
    I'd have loved for Smith to get more personally but obviously he wanted to forge ahead and yes, Capaldi is only settling into it now so I want more there too.
    Curious that my three favourite Doctors have been the ones that remained in the role the longest (Baker (7), Tennant(4.5), Pertwee(4.5))....
    Tennant only had three seasons and then the half season of specials...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ixoy wrote: »
    I agree with you but in each instance the actor chose to move on - what can they do really?
    Plus it's not an easy gig. Long production schedules, on top of all the worldwide press and attention(never mind the real issue with type casting). I could see someone younger getting burnt out quickly enough, but Capaldi is going on for sixty IIRC.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Wibbs wrote: »
    Plus it's not an easy gig. Long production schedules, on top of all the worldwide press and attention(never mind the real issue with type casting). I could see someone younger getting burnt out quickly enough, but Capaldi is going on for sixty IIRC.

Also, as much as I love his Doctor, I think the world needs Malcolm Tucker right now even more...

ixoy wrote: »
    <snip>
    Tennant only had three seasons and then the half season of specials...

...but he was the Doctor for about 4 and a half years. It's a time thing... ;-)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

exaisle wrote: »
    ...but he was the Doctor for about 4 and a half years. It's a time thing... ;-)

By that measure, Sylvester McCoy should be your hands-down fave. :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Or McGann - 1996 to 2005 so at 9 years the longest running Doctor :)

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »

No....Peter Davison....1981 to 2007 (episode "Time Crash).

As I said, it's a time thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Aren't we all forgetting? Just exactly Who is the curator.

flazio wrote: »
    Aren't we all forgetting? Just exactly Who is the curator.

the 'Great curator'

So on top of everything else,
    seems like Michelle Gomez is also leaving the show after Season 10; so if there's any truth to the rumour of Bill only sticking around for one season - though I'm disinclined to believe that one - Season 11 is increasingly feeling like a reboot.
    (the story link also spoils a little the rest of the season, so read at your own peril :) )

The link to story on DigitalSpy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

So last night I finally got around to watching Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (which was actually quite good), but was it just me or was Eddie Redmayne basically just playing a Wizard version of The Doctor?

On quite a few occasions I felt like he was channeling Matt Smith, so much so that my Doctor Who hating fiancé pointed it out.

Watching it I felt like he was basically using the movie as an audition piece to play The Doctor someday.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    So last night I finally got around to watching Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (which was actually quite good), but was it just me or was Eddie Redmayne basically just playing a Wizard version of The Doctor?

On quite a few occasions I felt like he was channeling Matt Smith, so much so that my Doctor Who hating fiancé pointed it out.

Watching it I felt like he was basically using the movie as an audition piece to play The Doctor someday.

No, it wasn't just you he was verrrrry "doctor'esque" and then some; he's probably far too famous and in demand now for the actual role, but his constant bumbling, eccentric expertise did make him come across like a knock off Matt Smith.

Pity Peter is not getting one more season. I think he is really in the role this season.

Sonics2k wrote: »

Odd, I thought he was playing the character as having Aspergers...

So Russell T Davies is claiming the new Doctor has already been cast, and he knows who it is. It's a fairly bold claim to make, and it's not like he wouldn't be aware of the rampant speculation & fixation that tease could bring.
    Speaking to Guys Like U, Davies said this, in relation to the next Doctor: "I do know who it is."

Davies also jokily said this: "every time you pass comment on Doctor Who, they go mad… they literally phone me up and say 'can you stop talking about the program Russ.'"

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/doctor-who/46900/doctor-who-the-next-doctor-has-apparently-been-cast

• Advertisement

It's tradition.

Love old Doc

Hate new Doc

love new doc

Hate new old Doc dying

Hate new doc.....

Advertisement