Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep Apnoea and CPAP

• 12-09-2013 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sleephead

New member and my first post.

I've been suffering from tiredness for a year or 2 and always put it down to being busy at work, carrying a bit of weight and a bad diet. It all came to a head when i started nodding off at my desk in work in the afternoon. A loud snore would wake me and alert my colleagues which was so embarising.

It took me down a road with my GP and various tests and low and behold I have fairly severe sleep apnea.

I was prescribed with CPAP therapy and I have to say I've never looked back. I'm full of energy again and can actually complete a days work and can even manage a night out or a short walk in the evening without fear or trepidation. Basically I'm not like a 90 year old anymore.

Snoring was the tell tale sign. Combined with tiredness. I'd urge anyone with similar issues to get tested it has changed my life.

A boring first post but maybe it might help someone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I think I may also suffer from it.

Did you find that your mood changed for the worse every so often? I do.

Did you have your sinuses checked? I've just been told that I have chronic sinusitis and have probably had it for years. This is probably what is causing my sleep apnoea.

For the last few years, a few times a year, I exhibit bipolar type symptoms for a few days. But, I'm not bipolar - that's been established. However, it seems that sleep apnoea, as a result of sinusitis, can result in mood disorders. I've been to see Dr. Paul Carson and read the book....

http://www.slievemoreclinic.ie/allergy/sinusitis

I can tick all of the side effects of sinusitis/sleep apnoea listed in it.

So, the aim is to get my sinuses back to working order. This should improve my sleep (and that of my wife's :rolleyes:) and hopefully end those terrifying mood swings that I first experienced about 4 years ago.

Would love to hear from anyone else who has had similar experiences.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sleephead

Mood Swings are a massive yes. Like a dark cloud. I certainly wouldnt consider it to be depression or anything like that. It was all sleep related.

I have to say its only now after a few months of CPAP therapy that i realise how tired and down in the dumps i was. I feel great.

Get checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Some reading for you folks.

www.isat.ie

Thanks guys.

You have made my weekend! ;)

Starting to believe I was barking! Feeling much more positive now.

D.

Ps. Sleephead, where did you go for the CPAP therapy?

And what, if anything, did you rule out before embarking on it?

Many thanks.

D

• Advertisement

Dinarius wrote: »
    Ps. Sleephead, where did you go for the CPAP therapy?

And what, if anything, did you rule out before embarking on it?

Many thanks.

D

Tell your GP you suspect you have this and he will refer you to your local sleep Clinic. Its a public clinic.

A simple monitor on your wrist overnight will diagnose if you have it. Very simple.

Sleephead wrote: »
    Tell your GP you suspect you have this and he will refer you to your local sleep Clinic. Its a public clinic.

A simple monitor on your wrist overnight will diagnose if you have it. Very simple.

Thanks!

D.

anyone ever have an issue with nasal pillows and pressure sores?

One year on and this treatment is going really well.

Now looking at other possibilities. Doc has mentioned a custom made oral device. So hopefully that'll get me off it in good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Glebee

Was diagnosed with this a few years ago, and done the overnight study in a clinic to get it confirmed. Started off using the CPAP machine but after a few weeks had to get rid of it. Could not use it at all or get used to the fact this large machine was beside the bed buzzing away.
    Have been using cheap oral devices for the last few years and while not the most comfortable seem to stop the snoring. Anybody try the dentist fitted oral device, need to try something, wife is going to strangle me on of these nights....;)

• Advertisement

You need to weigh up the pros and cons really. The pressure your heart is under when going untreated will eventually lead to a heart attack or stroke.

its so tough to acclimatise at the beginning but its a great therapy once you get into it. So effective like
    Glebee wrote: »
    Was diagnosed with this a few years ago, and done the overnight study in a clinic to get it confirmed. Started off using the CPAP machine but after a few weeks had to get rid of it. Could not use it at all or get used to the fact this large machine was beside the bed buzzing away.
    Have been using cheap oral devices for the last few years and while not the most comfortable seem to stop the snoring. Anybody try the dentist fitted oral device, need to try something, wife is going to strangle me on of these nights....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I have just been issued with a CPAP machine. It is going to take a bit of getting used to, particularly since the setting is quite high (14) making it fairly whooshy inside the mask.

Also I am off on holiday tomorrow but the doc insists I bring it along. That is a bit of a hindrance as it is quite heavy, but I do have a letter of explanation for airport security.

It is also quite pricy to rent per month, and it is not clear that I can get any of that back on Med 1.

Any advice/helpful comments gratefully received!

14 is certainly high. Would indicate fairly severe Sleep apnea.

It's just gonna take time. Took me a good 6 weeks of frustration but now I get 8 hours a night of good quality sleep. No more snoring for the Mrs to put up with and no more day time sleepiness.

My advice is to get the mask right. For me the full face mask and the nasal mask just didn't work as it felt really claustrophobic and I had lots of leakage.

The nasal pillows were just right. The Swift FX.

Then make sure you ramp up to 14. My machine started at 4 and ramped up to 10 to my setting. Once I got used to it I turned the ramp off.

Just keep at it you won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Also I am off on holiday tomorrow but the doc insists I bring it along. That is a bit of a hindrance as it is quite heavy, but I do have a letter of explanation for airport security.

You may be able to bring your CPAP as additional cabin baggage free of charge. You just need to contact your airline and ask them about a Medical Equipment Baggage Waiver.

Here is the info pertaining to Ryanair:
    https://www.ryanair.com/ie/questions/can-i-bring-my-cpap-machine-on-board/
    It is also quite pricy to rent per month, and it is not clear that I can get any of that back on Med 1.

I also rent mine and can make a claim via Drugs Payment Scheme. This only works if you or you household is already on the scheme and the CPAP rental brings you over the threshold, currently €144.00

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭BohToffee

I've just been diagnosed with osa. Done the tosca test last week and had 86desaturations per hour so it's fairly severe, I must say I never noticed its effects and didn't expect that result at all...
    My question is how much is the rental of the cpap machine?
    I see they are €1100 for the top one to buy and there is no way I could afford that..

I pay around €90 a month.

Buying V Renting depends on your circumstances I guess.

I like the back up renting gives in case of breakdown or damage

BohToffee wrote: »
    I've just been diagnosed with osa. Done the tosca test last week and had 86desaturations per hour so it's fairly severe, I must say I never noticed its effects and didn't expect that result at all...
    My question is how much is the rental of the cpap machine?
    I see they are €1100 for the top one to buy and there is no way I could afford that..

Hi BohToffee,

I have rented a CPAP machine for the last ten years and am due my third upgrade later this year, this is included in the rental agreement. I assume that the cost of rental depends on the company* you are dealing with.

After my second overnight stay in the sleep clinic I met with a rep from one of the companies who supply CPAP machines. AFAIK these companies are given specific dates to be on-site and you won't know until that day who you will be dealing with.

The monthly rental I pay is €72.90

*I don't wish to name the company I use as it may breach the forum charter.

That's 20 euros a month less than I'm paying.

I was never really given an option to shop around.

Might just do that now. Can you PM me the company?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 slotsguide

I travel all over the world for work and never have problems at customs as in most countries the security guys are used to scanning them. Just make sure you never leave it at home, once used to sleeping with the machine you would regret leaving it behind as the quality of your sleep would be so bad it would ruin the trip.

In my case, like Drake 70 I was kept in overnight (second night) to get measured for CPAP. First thing the next morning, a rep from a CPAP company told me that I was to have the machine set at 14, he set it up for me and asked me to sign a rental agreement for 115 Euro a month. The sleep doc did not offer me any range of alternatives.

I will keep this arrangement up for the moment, but I am not sure it offers best value.

• Advertisement

This is interesting. There seems to be a big spread in monthly charges.

Not being offered an alternative as to what you are signing up to is looking quite common.

Is it against forum rules for everyone to post who they are with and how much they are charged?

I would just like to add that my agreement only covers the CPAP machine and the air hose.

I had to pay for the mask and any replacement parts (cushion and strap),

same here

I had the CPAP on and off twice last night. When I woke up this morning I had a revolting taste in my mouth, as though I had sipped some nasty chemical. Is that a common occurence?

Well I went in last night for my first night with the machine, tried the nasal mask it burnt my nostrils not for me, tried the face mask slept...
    Hated the thing slept most of the night, had 9 down times v 86 last week, so an improvement, but had to take my inhaler this morning for the first time in 4 years.. If companies and prices can't be posted here for obvious reasons surely they can be pm'd if people wouldn't mind sending them on?

I had the CPAP on and off twice last night.

I managed to expertly remove one of the face mask clips in my sleep only the nurse woke me to tell me it would have stayed off... Not looking fwd to the next few weeks..

It becomes second nature after the initial period of adjusting. Took me a good month.

Stick with it it's worth the struggle.

Just got the call from cpap company and quoted $96\month for rental. Steep enough. .

Same as mine. Did some research and shopping around and it's about right for an auto machine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

If you don't snore, does it probably mean you don't have sleep apnoea?

I reckon I tick a lot of the Sleep Apnoea boxes except the snoring!

Advertisement