Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Sarah1916

I was wondering if anyone else’s baby seemed wheezy/mucusy in the first few weeks?

My baby is 6 weeks old and I feel like it has always sounded like she has mucus in her chest. I said it to the doctor at her 2 week and 6 week check up and he said there isn’t anything to worry about and checked her chest etc. And nothing there.
    It is definitely more noticeable after a feed but can also hear it other times. It doesn’t seem to irritate her at all. She has the odd sneeze and cough but nothing major. She does get the hiccups at least once a day as well.

Has anyone else’s baby been like that and if so does it go away by itself?
    I know breastfed babies breath more through their noses and not sure if that has anything got to do with it?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

It would be pretty normal for newborns. I remember it peaking for my little boy around 6-8 weeks. It never seemed to bother him either but I felt so sorry for him at the time. It never caused issues with feeding, just when he was sleeping because he was lying flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Totally normal. They swallow mucous during delivery and it takes a while for it to clear.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Newborns are a bit stuffy alright.And they can"t really cough, and with lying on their back it takes a while to clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

Question about breastfeeding at night:

My little one is three months old and typically goes to sleep at about 7pm and wakes at approximately 12am, 3am and 6am for a feed and then wakes at about 8am for a feed and awake for the morning. Just wondering if this is normal for a three month old breast fed baby and do the gaps between feeds lengthen? If so, what age do they typically lengthen? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Hey!

Congratulations on your baby and fair play for getting to 3 months!

All you have wrote is Completely normal! And it all depends on the baby when they start to lengthen the gaps. My first baby did 8hrs at 7 weeks and was reliably up to 10/12 hrs by 12 weeks without any night feeds. My second however was exactly 7 months before she did a full night, and she went from 2/3 wakings to 12 hrs overnight pretty much. There were times she had me up 6/7 times at night. She's teething at the moment so some nights she might go straight through, others she could be up two or three times (she's coming up on 10months).my eldest rarely woke even when she was teething. They are all different and do their own thing in their own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My little one is three months old and typically goes to sleep at about 7pm and wakes at approximately 12am, 3am and 6am for a feed and then wakes at about 8am for a feed and awake for the morning. Just wondering if this is normal for a three month old breast fed baby and do the gaps between feeds lengthen? If so, what age do they typically lengthen? Thanks!

It’s totally normal. Everything is normal. I’ve had 4 breastfed babies, and they were all totally different in their feeding and sleeping patterns. My eldest only ever woke once at night, my youngest probably feeds three times over night (she’s 7 mo). At around 4 months there’s often a big sleep regression, and it all turned to s**t, but eventually they all sleep.
    Co-sleeping, and not clock watching are what have helped me the most to learn to roll with it.

Both great advice, thanks so much. It's great to know that all babies are different and one day he'll decide to go all night when he's ready. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

This is pretty much what my 12 weekee is giving me in terms of sleep stretches at the moment. She's way better then her brother was at the same age and there are babies out there who are much better. How it goes from here is pretty unpredictable but should improve 2 steps forward, 1.75 steps back until they sleep through. Could be another month could be another 2 years.

One difference with mine is she goes down for the night at 10pm. I go to sleep then too so I get a 5 hour stretch myself. You could either try pushing bed time later or lifting baby when you're ready to sleep yourself and feeding them still asleep. That should net you more sleep, although no guarantees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My little boy woke every 2-3 hours until he was 15 months. Then it was like a switch flipped in his brain and he started sleeping all night all of a sudden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭shhling

Hi all, have woken up to a nasty bleb, just wondering if anyone had any quick tips to resolve it?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

shhling wrote: »
    Hi all, have woken up to a nasty bleb, just wondering if anyone had any quick tips to resolve it?

Get in a hot shower and try and hand express, the heat should help.

Thanks will try that

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭anndub

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. We are 5 months in and in the last two weeks baby has cut his first tooth. He fussed an awful lot on the breast during this time and feeds became really short. Maybe ten minutes a time. He didn't appear to be hungry at any stage and often when I encouraged longer or more frequent feeds he ended up bringing back up the "extra" milk. He has been combination fed from the 8 week mark as I suffered repeated bouts of mastitis at the start and introducing bottles (suggested by the Rotunda as I had an oversupply) seemed to be the solution. That said the absolute max any day would be 14oz formula but usually less.

I started to wonder if he was getting lazy around the breast as he is still taking bottles ok or if it is just the teething. Now I'm paranoid the short feeds are reducing my supply and I'm getting into a bad loop!

Is it teething? Is he just a very efficient feeder and getting all he needs very quickly? Is he just too busy to be sitting on the breast for long? Morning feed and bedtime feed still strong most days but it's the daytime ones are the struggle. Still plenty of wet nappies and sleeping well other than typical teething disturbances.

Anyone advice/similar experience would be most welcome as I'm really fretting!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭sasal

The quick flow of the bottle might be making him impatient at the breast.

Do you do paced feeding?
    https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone had experience of 8 week baby become very frustrated at breast. Today he has refused feeding even though he was hungry. I've given ebm which is fine as had it collected due to haaka however this isn't sustainable as I really only collect when he's feeding. I use shields and he is refusing point blank without them. With them he will suck for few mins and then pulls off. He had been doing this earlier in the week and i thought my supply was down but this evening I've no supply issues.
    I'm not sure what to do if I should think about getting a pump and and feeding all expressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭fits

Im not sure shhling but I wanted to answer your post. I think I'd probably get in touch with a lactation consultant to go over everything.

There's both a growth spurt and a developmental leap due around 8 weeks. Both my girls started teething at 8/9 weeks. Anything like this can cause baby to get fussy and seem a bit out of sorts. My eldest used me like a doddie when she was 9 weeks for about a week, on and off constantly.

While I would agree with fits that seeking advice from a lactation consultant would be a good idea, if he's nursing it's more than likely a phase he's going through. Clear the next few days and nurse him on and off when he looks for it, he may nurse for shorter, but more often than normal. Is he getting any decent feeds in? It could be that he's getting more efficient at nursing so getting more in a shorter feed and the extra on and off nursing is for comfort. How is his form outside of the on and off nursing?

Is there any lactation group near you? La leche league and cuidiu are both breastfeeding support groups. You can also contact your PHN and get the number for the HSE lactation consultant in your area although you may need to travel further to them depending on where you are in the country.

As for the shield, have you looked into whether he's tongue/lip tied? I used a shield for 2 years with my first, no one could decide whether she was tied or not and I didn't realise you could self refer to a consultant. With my second she had a clear and obvious tie so we got it snipped when she was 9 days old. It took me till she was 4 months though to build up the courage to nurse her without a shield as I was terrified of the pain. The shields were the difference between me nursing my first or not, but it's so much handier when you don't have to use them, especially when out and about.

Thanks so much for both responses. He was perfect after that episode last night and fed well until about 9 again tonight and same story. Just would not remain on to feed and was getting so frustrated so I gave bottle of ebm again.
    I am in contact with public lactation consultant prior to this as we have had tie released 3 weeks ago and he's thriving since. I didn't ring her today as he fed so well but I'll ring her tomorrow.
    I hope it is a development leap as I would know it's a phase.
    The shield is what kept us feeding to this point so I'm grateful for that.
    Thanks again for the support

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There is nothing wrong with continuing to use the shields if they are working for baby and you.

• Advertisement

Baby has started rejecting the bottle - help!

I'm exclusively breastfeed and from about 6 weeks on, my boy would have my expressed milk in a bottle with no issues. But I got lazy and wasn't consistent with it and left it about 2 weeks and now he won't take a bottle at all. He is 3 and a half months old now.

He cries when I try to give it to him. When is the best time to keep trying, when he's relaxed and not that hungry or when he's really hungry? I hate seeing him bawling for a feed and give in and give him the breast. Any other tips on how to get him back on the bottle? Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Baby has started rejecting the bottle - help!

I'm exclusively breastfeed and from about 6 weeks on, my boy would have my expressed milk in a bottle with no issues. But I got lazy and wasn't consistent with it and left it about 2 weeks and now he won't take a bottle at all. He is 3 and a half months old now.

He cries when I try to give it to him. When is the best time to keep trying, when he's relaxed and not that hungry or when he's really hungry? I hate seeing him bawling for a feed and give in and give him the breast. Any other tips on how to get him back on the bottle? Thanks in advance!

I EBF and used try and give a bottle! My LO didn’t take a bottle until 8.5 months and we tried 6 different bottles!

So I’m no expert but I did a lot of reading at the time about it! So they say give it when your LO isn’t too hungry as when they are starving they get frustrated easier! Have you tried giving different teat? You might be able to go up a level which is faster flowing now he’s 3.5 months old!

Lastly you are the last person to give bottle as you smell of milk! So if your partner or friend or someone else could give it that’s better!

Other than that best of luck! Very hard when they refuse bottles!
    Also older they get the more they cop on so I would preserve if you can! Nothing worse!
    Only thing is once 6 months hit they get food and start on sippy cups so you can be a lot more free!

Lastly they say formula is sweeter tasting than breast milk so if you were willing to try that that’s another option!

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Just to clarify my LO didn’t take bottle for so long so I def am no expert!! So that’s what I read but not experienced!! So I could be wrong

Honestly you may be fighting a loosing battle. My first took a notion to refuse bottles and was on strike for about 2 month's. A lot of people will advise to try different bottles and teats. That can be expensive though so I would weigh up why and how often you actually need him to take a bottle. For us I only needed her to take a bottle for a 2 hr window one evening a week, with a few exceptions, so it was easy to work around but meant that I couldn't delay when I was away jic, especially before she started solids. In our case we kept trying her with a bottle, and one day she just decided she was going to take it.

I wouldn't wait till he's hungry though coz he will just get frustrated at not being on the breast and then he will get cross and your on a downwards spiral once that happens.

Try a small amount maybe 1 or 2oz at a time when he's relaxed and not hungry. Also get someone else to try giving him the bottle. He will refuse the bottle with you quicker than anyone else.

Edit: I'm actually going to contradict myself about you not giving him the bottle. I've just remembered with no2, when she refused the bottles we got her to take a bottle by doing a switcheroo on her. She kept refusing the bottle off my husband. So I started nursing her with the bottle on hand and when she was comfortable and relaxed a stuck the bottle into her mouth and gently eased my breast away from her. It did the trick surprisingly.

I had this on my eldest, and eventually got him back to bottles by giving him half a feed, and when he was distracted and starting to nod off, switching to bottle. Are you giving the bottle or someone else? He might take it if you’re not around.
    My second guy never took a bottle though. Some of them just don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Any advice for managing thrush? (Not medical)
    I have daktarin cream for me & nystatin drops for baby, but the feeds are still horrendously painful. It’s been a week & not seeing much improvement.
    I also have a small cut on each nipple & even with a good latch (checked by 2 LC’s) baby is still ‘lipsticking’ both. Has anyone had this and their nips just got used to it? Mind are shallow/short and I think the latch baby has is as good as if going to get. Also had tongue tie snipped last week & seen an osteopath.
    This is my 2nd baby & I really want bf to work but this is so painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

wuffly wrote: »
    Any advice for managing thrush? (Not medical)
    I have daktarin cream for me & nystatin drops for baby, but the feeds are still horrendously painful. It’s been a week & not seeing much improvement.
    I also have a small cut on each nipple & even with a good latch (checked by 2 LC’s) baby is still ‘lipsticking’ both. Has anyone had this and their nips just got used to it? Mind are shallow/short and I think the latch baby has is as good as if going to get. Also had tongue tie snipped last week & seen an osteopath.
    This is my 2nd baby & I really want bf to work but this is so painful.

Wuffy I have never had thrush. I know you are super busy but le leche are doing zoom every week. You can join any meeting that suits you.
    I really found them so fantastic on my last baby.

Wuffly, I have also never had thrush, but at one stage I thought I did, and I’m positive my PHN told me I needed to be treated with oral meds If I had it. Diflucin (sp could be wrong) is what sticks in my mind, so it’s possible you need your meds reviewed. My PHN is very very pro bf, she was very on the ball, so I’d be surprised if she had the wrong guidelines

• Advertisement

I can't help on the thrush.

But have you tried to use a nipple shield for the sore nipples? Even just for a few days it will give your nipples a chance to heal, and with the tongue tie done things should improve. My girl got her tongue tie done last year in clonmel and they gave me a cream/ointment to use to help things heal and it was brilliant. Ill see if I can find the tub to see what they called it. I also used multimam compress (I think that's what it was called) . They were decent as well, but expensive.

Advertisement