Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ABOLITION OF FLAT RATE EXPENSES!!

• 23-11-2019 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭

I just heard about this yesterday and am amazed at the lack of noise about it!

But it's such a stealth move that it's possible many teachers still don't know about it. If so, people need to wake up and stop this latest disgraceful pay cut in its tracks! That is if you want to hang on to your €518 annual flat rate expenses which I presume you do! So please sign the petition to the Minister [link below] at change.org:

https://www.change.org/p/joe-mchugh-minister-for-education-stop-abolition-of-flat-rate-expenses-for-teachers

And also write to your local Tds to make it clear how this latest attack on low and middle income earners is both unacceptable and political suicide for them just before an election.

This really is a galling grab and run attack and people need to get off their asses and PROTEST.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

acequion wrote: »

But it's such a stealth move that it's possible many teachers still don't know about it. If so, people need to wake up and stop this latest disgraceful pay cut in its tracks! That is if you want to hang on to your €518 annual flat rate expenses which I presume you do! So please sign the petition to the Minister [link below] at change.org:

https://www.change.org/p/joe-mchugh-minister-for-education-stop-abolition-of-flat-rate-expenses-for-teachers

And also write to your local Tds to make it clear how this latest attack on low and middle income earners is both unacceptable and political suicide for them just before an election.

This really is a galling grab and run attack and people need to get off their asses and PROTEST.

I have already signed petition after a colleague posted link on Facebook
    However after that I did some googling and all I can find on it it this
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/q-a-what-is-happening-with-flat-rate-expenses-and-how-you-could-lose-out-1.4082949%3fmode=amp

It’s not decided and won’t be known until mid December if it’s going ahead
    Teachers are not one of the groups mentioned so let’s hope this remains the case

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I am registered for tax and have to fill in an 'expected' return a year in advance and no matter what I did, my flat rate expenses kept being changed by their automatic system to one hundred and something for the 2019 return, due in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

spurious wrote: »
    I am registered for tax and have to fill in an 'expected' return a year in advance and no matter what I did, my flat rate expenses kept being changed by their automatic system to one hundred and something for the 2019 return, due in 2020.

The 518 tax allowance is actually implemented as follows:

103.60 tax credit (i.e. 20% of the tax allowance)

103.60 increase in SRCOP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I must admit I had to google SRCOP (Standard rate cut off point).
    Thanks for that, so all is in order then?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    I have already signed petition after a colleague posted link on Facebook
    However after that I did some googling and all I can find on it it this
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/q-a-what-is-happening-with-flat-rate-expenses-and-how-you-could-lose-out-1.4082949%3fmode=amp

It’s not decided and won’t be known until mid December if it’s going ahead
    Teachers are not one of the groups mentioned so let’s hope this remains the case

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/reprieve-for-thousands-of-workers-on-flat-rate-allowances-as-revenue-announce-no-changes-until-2021-38757165.html
    No changes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

acequion wrote: »

Dear teacher,

Why should you get €518 and others who work every bit as hard get nothing ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Happy4all wrote: »
    Dear teacher,

Well, for starters, we invariably end up spending a lot of our own money for basic school supplies.
    But in any case it's not "just" teachers who get this allowance:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/documents/flat-rate-expenses.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Well, for starters, we invariably end up spending a lot of our own money for basic school supplies.
    But in any case it's not "just" teachers who get this allowance:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/documents/flat-rate-expenses.pdf

I'm very well aware of all employments that do and don't get flat rate expenses. If I recall correctly, the boys and girls in the RTE orchestra do well we'll for their troubles

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

https://www.into.ie/?p=15232&preview=true

They have rolled back on the cut!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭Treppen

I'm very well aware of all employments that do and don't get flat rate expenses. If I recall correctly, the boys and girls in the RTE orchestra do well we'll for their troubles

?
    230114_908223010.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭amacca

Geuze wrote: »
    The 518 tax allowance is actually implemented as follows:

103.60 tax credit (i.e. 20% of the tax allowance)

103.60 increase in SRCOP

Would anyone be in a position to explain how 518 euro in flat rate expenses turns into the above?

I'm not understanding it....on my OHs tax certificate flat rate expenses shows up as 121 euros

is it taxed at 50% and then you are given the other 50% back split across a tax credit and srcop or some arrangement like that?

they do like to make these things arcane dont they?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

amacca wrote: »
    Would anyone be in a position to explain how 518 euro in flat rate expenses turns into the above?

I'm not understanding it....on my OHs tax certificate flat rate expenses shows up as 121 euros

is it taxed at 50% and then you are given the other 50% back split across a tax credit and srcop or some arrangement like that?

They told me they raise my 20% band by €608 and then minus €121.60 from tax liability as a tax credit.

Millem wrote: »
    They told me they raise my 20% band by €608 and then minus €121.60 from tax liability as a tax credit.

Thank you. Id love to know why they do it that way?

Why not just raise the 20% band by the 518?

Is it somthing to do with USC I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Thank you. Id love to know why they do it that way?

Why not just raise the 20% band by the 518?

Is it somthing to do with USC I wonder?

No idea? I get the €608 flat rate expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

They increase the band by 518, that means you pay 20% instead of 40% tax on that 518, so that means you save 20% of the 518.

Then, they also give you (0.20)(518) = 103.60 as a tax credit, that is the other 20%.

Geuze wrote: »
    They increase the band by 518, that means you pay 20% instead of 40% tax on that 518, so that means you save 20% of the 518.

Then, they also give you (0.20)(518) = 103.60 as a tax credit, that is the other 20%.

Thank you...so a quick way to check if you are receiving the correct expense is to check if what appears beside flat rate expenses on the cert is 20% of what the total should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

Dear teacher,

Why don't teachers get bonus payments no matter how well they or their school performs.

Why don't teachers get company cars / paid for Christmas parties.

Every job is paid differently.

Advertisement