Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Had a chinese & a beer last night as we were out at a hurling tournament for the afternoon & when driving home couldnt face having to start cooking, I always overeat when we get take away so thats me sticking to my plan brilliantly (not!)

Have made today my d-day, no more bullsh*tting myself, time to get my head back in the game & stop being such a pig with the grub & to get my ass out running :)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Right update so far.

Week 1: +1lb
    Week 2: No change
    Week 3: -3.2lbs

Happy with that. All I did was no takeaway last week and I went for a walk every night either with or without the dog :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I am late this thread, I was up 7 pounds after the Christmas,
    since the 30th December I have been walking a minimum of 30 minutes each day I have been out every day apart from Storm Brendan day, I am trying to do the 100 days walking Ciara Kelly is involved with from Newstalk, I did it last year I didn't manage the 100 days as I got sick with my asthma so here goes 2020

My January blues were non existent this year, which is very unusual for me maybe it was the walking every day also I wasn't too hard on myself with the eating and drinking in January I had a bottomless prosecco brunch with a pal, a few takeaways, out for dinner with pals, meeting pals for cups of tea and eating left over Christmas goodies

My first weigh in I was up 2 pound
    Tuesday last down 2 pound

I have been on track with my 3 meals a day but I have been snacking since Thursday, demolished a whole large bar of chocolate at my desk yesterday then a take away last night trying to pull it back today till Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

Last week of madness for me so next week I will be able to begin my diet/training. I will weigh in at the weekend and do the+/- thing on a weekly basis. For the first few months (if I last that long) I won't be focusing on losing weight but just getting back at it and trying to rehab a few things also. I will be gyming it and thinking of setting a goal of running 30km a week to start with.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

5420_ac6d_500.jpeg

• Advertisement

The hardest working thing in my house this January is my belt containing this tummy. I ate a whole large pizza last night, 3/4 through I was full but I kept ploughing on. It was cauliflower base but had an unearthly amount of toppings an grease on it.

I got a quote for our gym membership as it was up on the 19th, I am in the wrong business. I am pondering whether to pay it or not. This one has a pool and i can use any branch which is handy. But my OH wants to change it up and sign up to a cooler gym that looks like a nightclub and has fit people in it. Not my seen, the darker the better and less people looking at 1990's gaa shorts the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Jude13 wrote: »
    But my OH wants to change it up and sign up to a cooler gym that looks like a nightclub and has fit people in it. Not my seen, the darker the better and less people looking at 1990's gaa shorts the better.

This was one of the things that put me off gyms near me. More people standing around looking at each other than actually doing anything. That plus they always seemed to be packed at the times I could go, so waiting around did my head in.

I tried on a couple of my 'how is weigh looking' t-shirts. While I could fit into them both, they are not safe for public consumption yet!! A few more weeks, if I stick to it and try them again.

I feel your pain, I feel incredibly old just in reception of the other gym. It's very much an instagram type of place and I don't believe anyone there needs to go to the gym anymore. A part of me want's to join, wear my gaa shorts and an old bet on rugby jersey, non matching socks and do some positive dead lifts (not doing the downward motion, i.e. dropping it).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

i feel and know your pain.I was told I could no longer wear my favourite semi flarey furry 1990’s tracksuit bottoms in my gym because I had to wear shorts or gym leggings for health and safety reasons.I left.(Ben Dunn gyms). I have now joined some months ago a fancy new bells snd lights gym (chain) that costs s fortune but they let me wear my furry bottoms.Some things are priceless. Whats really shocking is the fitness of people -not ‘just’ lifting weights but serious conditioned fitness!!I am hoping it’ll rub off.In the meantime I’m self shamed into doing more by just comparing myself to the lithe and light as I change and am honestly shocked by how I compare to most others undressed. Its time to ramp up a big and stop snacking after dinner and cut out that supper :0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Faced the scales today up half a pound probably due the Rudolph day treats :D plus the Indian meal out and a take away

Shopping done...head back in the game till at least the weekend

• Advertisement

Went to the gym last night, as I was passing it, and paid my membership, didnt actually go in to the gym as I had a work related event last night. Had three long necks and no dinner. Then had a meeting with a client on a construction site and he brought me to the canteen for breakfast, he had a lot more than three long necks last night. So I had fried eggs and hash browns. Diet and training start this weekend. I will weigh in tomorrow morning.

Been pretty good all week so going to stick to it till Saturday afternoon and then enjoy a few bottles of beer (dry Jan done!) watching the rugby.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Not been too bad this week, down 1kg and down 0.8kg last week. There will be birthday cake this weekend but after that I will hopefully get back into the healthy eating swing of things!

Went to the gym thursday and flogged myself, then did a weigh in friday morning so have a benchmark. My OH had to fly home Friday for a funeral so I spent the weekend eating rubbish and take aways using the baby as an excuse.

So the diet and exercise thing will have to start later this week.

OH is back from Ireland so day 1 back at the gym, horrible early alarm, dark and cold. Very weak. Did a weigh in, as my goal in the next few months (if I last) is not to kill myself losing weight but to get all round strength and hypertrophy work in. It will give me aches and pains but we'll see how it goes. The food intake is up quite a bit in the plan but the type is of food is very different, also quite a bit of supplementation. Trying to cut out sugary stuff, drinks and juices.

Anyway, I am counting today as day zero so I am: 0kg and I will measure + and - from that. I will also use today's weight in calculating % up and down. I have the options of dexa scans though I don't want to be told I am X% fat quite yet.

Lads I need to get my sh!t together I have had zero motivation this year at all. I'm rejoining Slimming World on Wednesday. I feel the plan works for me as does the ownership of having to weigh in every week in front of someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Best of luck, Loughc! I'll probably be going back too in a few months to lose the baby weight - story of my life lol!

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Best of luck, Loughc! I'll probably be going back too in a few months to lose the baby weight - story of my life lol!

At least you have a good excuse.... mine's not even a food baby at this stage it's food triplets.

^^Do you have to do it boxing style in your jocks?

I got back in to it last week hitting the gym 3 days in the week before work, then did a long (for me) run at the weekend. Went to the gym yesterday doing shoulder work and really hurt the shoulder I had surgery on last year so was in with the physio at 7am for dry needling. Need to run and leave the weights a week or two.

Loughc wrote: »
    Lads I need to get my sh!t together

Ditto.
    Normally I'm great at getting back into the swing of things exercise & diet wise after christmas but this year I've been woeful. I'm grand for a week or so, get back a couple of pounds & then go mad over a weekend & eat terribly throwing it all back on... I know I've been blaming the weather & work but in reality its just sheer laziness & greed. Need to get rocking ASAP.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Got up at 5.30am for a run as my shoulder is too wrecked to go to the gym, 4.45km in to the run my flipping calf goes. I have had issue with it before as I had my achillies re-attached to the calf so had to hobble walk home. So no what? Answer is to reduce calories significantly as I can't run due to my calf, and I can't lift weights or swim due to the shoulder. Though I know that I will still eat loads.

I need a new body.

That's a bummer Jude, nothing worse then getting back into it and then getting injured. Not a lot you can do with a gammy shoulder and calf, maybe some core work? Boring as it is........

Got up at 5.30am for a run as my shoulder is too wrecked to go to the gym, 4.45km in to the run my flipping calf goes. I have had issue with it before as I had my achillies re-attached to the calf so had to hobble walk home. So no what? Answer is to reduce calories significantly as I can't run due to my calf, and I can't lift weights or swim due to the shoulder. Though I know that I will still eat loads.

I need a new body.

Can you cycle? Even on an exercise bike?

I am seeing the physio for the calf/shoulder so will inquire though I think it unlikely, also holding myself up on the bike with my shoulder is a bit of an issue. I had focused on my calf's in the gym after my shoulder went gammy so I am hoping that it was just exhausted from the weights and is a strain. If thats the case I can do kicking in the pool without the front crawl motion.

By the way I noticed you are an ex Hockey international, though I left Ireland some time ago I am sure we know many of the same folks.

By the way I noticed you are an ex Hockey international, though I left Ireland some time ago I am sure we know many of the same folks.

Always possible, though I suspect I'm a bit older (definitely today :D) than you Jude so that might throw it off a little. Those days are long gone sadly.

I am not so sure about that, but in thinking I would have been Dublin based so if you were not from there I probably wouldn't have known the same circle. My father played in to his 50's, I knocked it on the head in my early twenties however played senior from 15.

Anyway I am amazed I have no knee issues to add to the list of issues after years on astro.

I need to prep healthy snacks, carrot sticks and humus etc. I found some stale marshmallows, out of date, from Halloween 2018 which I ate on the way to putting them in the bin.

I am not so sure about that, but in thinking I would have been Dublin based so if you were not from there I probably wouldn't have known the same circle. My father played in to his 50's, I knocked it on the head in my early twenties however played senior from 15.

Anyway I am amazed I have no knee issues to add to the list of issues after years on astro.

I was Dublin based so yeah, theres a decent chance, its a small enough circle in reality.

What club were you involved with?

The Astro destroyed my knee, hence the 2 operations and having to retire altogether when doing my ACL for the 2nd time. The pitches back then are nothing like what they play on now.

I found some stale marshmallows, out of date, from Halloween 2018 which I ate on the way to putting them in the bin.

This genuinely made me laugh out loud.
    Sounds like something I'd do (& do, do, to be fair)

Its the diet that always gets me, in my youth I could train my way out of it as I was training five days and playing one day. Now I am training 3 maybe 4 days, limited time, limited ability.

I am not exaggerating that I have had 5 takeaways in the last 15 days. Now I generally eat half and have the other half for lunch but still. Keto may have to make a come back.

Id murder a pancake with maple syrup and walnuts.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I just seen the other post, Glenanne and through my Dad St James Gate.

Advertisement