Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommended Ear Plugs for Sleeping

• 02-11-2017 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've got a problem with my neighbour in that (s)he wakens about 1 2 hours prior to me in the morning and the sound of their feet walking across their floor (my ceiling) wakens me up. At this time of the morning it is not really possible to get back to sleep properly as the noise continues until they leave for work.

I have no issue getting to sleep nor maintaining sleep - until this person rises in the morning.

I'm looking for solutions to prevent me from wakening up until my alarm goes off. I was thinking about ear plugs as the obvious choice.

Are there any recommendations for wearing for a prolonged period of time?

Also, any alternative solutions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Been wearing them years in bed, go to any chemist, I ask for the yellow ear plugs they are €1.00 for a pair and do the job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,990 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Also, any alternative solutions?
    Politely explain problem to neighbor. Ask them if they would consider being quieter mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Gijoseph

Highly recommend these op. Give them a few days and you will get used to them.

http://www.boots.ie/boots-soft-disposable-ear-plugs-10153241

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I second the ear plugs in the chemist. Ours have some for 89cent. Work great but then i dont havecsomeone clomping away overhead. Could you buy earplugs but also have a quick word with this person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I use blu-tak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I find the pink wax ear plugs work best . and they last longer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Graces7 wrote: »
    I find the pink wax ear plugs work best . and they last longer

I find the non waxy ones work best for me i.e the ones that are just the foam without the coating on the outside.

I may be in some way allergic to the wax coating because after a while of use I feel an itch in my ear after using those. Anyway, I find the boots own brand non waxed, light brown colored foam plugs to be the best one's I've ever used. Better to buy the large pack for economical reasons as they wear out quick enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,990 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

I don't use earplugs. But I have fallen asleep with headphones. Too often.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I find the non waxy ones work best for me i.e the ones that are just the foam without the coating on the outside.

I may be in some way allergic to the wax coating because after a while of use I feel an itch in my ear after using those. Anyway, I find the boots own brand non waxed, light brown colored foam plugs to be the best one's I've ever used. Better to buy the large pack for economical reasons as they wear out quick enough.

Mine are all wax.. I found them better than the foam. Each to their own!

SnoreMagazine reviewed 5 ear plugs for sleeping March 30, 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 SaraKJohn

Quies - wax ear plugs. Approx 5 euro for a box of 16. You're only meant to wear them once... But I get a good week out of them. Throwing them out after one use is nonsense and unnecessary. All you can hear is yourself breathing..... You may not hear your alarm though.... I can't sleep without them as my husband's snoring is akin to an old tractor in need of a service

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

I have the same issue, and use these wax ones from Boots - they block ALL noise, so sometimes I just fall asleep with them under the pillow and lash them in when it begins.

https://www.boots.ie/boots-muffle-wax-earplugs-5-pairs-10114104

Gijoseph wrote: »
    Highly recommend these op. Give them a few days and you will get used to them.

http://www.boots.ie/boots-soft-disposable-ear-plugs-10153241

They are fine but I did not throw away after one use .. any of the foam ones are excellent and comfortable

I've fallen asleep with over-the-ear headphones several times. Music. Movies. Books on disc. But I doubt it would make for a good habit.

reading this thread makes me smile.. I now live where it is very very quiet and it is sheer bliss after so many noisy places

Ear plugs for the US military are now in litigation. They didn't work effectively during shooting and other loud noises.

Advertisement