Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Wow that looks brilliant, I am just trying to understand this, is it X Box software for a computer that is required or is the game playable on an X Box?

Sorry I am a dinosaur and pine after the MS flight simulator stuff from the 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

kub wrote: »
    Wow that looks brilliant, I am just trying to understand this, is it X Box software for a computer that is required or is the game playable on an X Box?

Sorry I am a dinosaur and pine after the MS flight simulator stuff from the 90's

It's Xbox and PC. If you run on PC you'll need an xbox gaming subscription which is presumably to pay for azure cloud services etc.

We need to wait and see where they go with this in terms of third party addon development.

It does look amazing though

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Don't wish to rain on the parade, from comments made by some of the people that were on the cutting (bleeding) edge of the software development for FS in the 90's, they are very much underwhelmed by the latest MS announcements, they've been doing some research, and they are "suggesting" that there will be no facility for third party enhancements or add on packages with the new version. The scenery will be based in Azure, and there are concerns about the reliability, speeds and performance of that system, the following comment was made by one of the people I know, and his add on packages are still in use and being enhanced for FS and other packages,
    The graphics processing is being done online by Azure AI. The sim is being developed for the XBox and then run in a container on the PC
    (note: not ported, as I originally thought it might be). The completely closed environment rules out an SDK.

Azure is not brilliant; FSDeveloper took a very close look and the one thing I remember without looking it up is the AI slapping generic
    trawlers down on top of luxury yachts in SFO harbour.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Those people are making assumptions which may or may not be true. We just have to wait an see how MS proceed.

They will know the value of the addon market and I'd imagine they want a piece of it by playing the role as sole distributor. They tried his before with "Flight" and it failed.

I’d have to agree that they’re unlikely to leave out the third party modders. Looking at the ecosystem around Kerbal Space Program (which is more about parts than full aircraft) a sim these days is all about getting modded to your particular taste

• Advertisement

There was a global press event yesterday so lots of articles and videos about this new sim going around. I have to say, it looks exceptional and the technical details are extremely impressive.

https://fselite.net/originals/an-overview-of-the-technical-details-for-the-new-microsoft-flight-simulator/
    https://fselite.net/originals/hands-on-with-the-new-microsoft-flight-simulator/

From the sounds of it, it's not going to be a closed system and the developers are already in discussion with addon developers.

The main question I have no is about seasons and the ability to support them given that the world is going to be based on MS Bing imagery.

Well, this time "Microsoft means business" (I'm using the tone of voice when I'm watching "Chris means business" from the Sopranos):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkMoZkGhIog

But still, questions I have...how much more money am I expected to pay for scenery / planes / updates

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

xieann wrote: »
    Well, this time "Microsoft means business" (I'm using the tone of voice when I'm watching "Chris means business" from the Sopranos):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkMoZkGhIog

But still, questions I have...how much more money am I expected to pay for scenery / planes / updates

That is insane! I started on FS98. What a journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Claremorrisdub

That is insane! I started on FS98. What a journey!

me too!!! looks so good. Like the first poster, i have already started the fund for a new PC :-) . i have a tonne of add ons on my current one , but to be fair , if the scenery actually looks like this, there would be no need. i just hope for the other stuff (ATC, Real AI and user aircraft liveries, various passenger and other add ons) that they are open to third parties. best add on i got is EZdock Camera add on, makes realistic camera movements within the cockpit, but based on the video below also, looks like they have accounted for that too.

this is a pretty good review
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj8h6yibHHc

The latest video from Microsoft focusing on the environment. It looks absolutely incredible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

This really is shaping up be to an amazing product. I sometimes forget that FSX dates back to 2006 and although P3D has built greatly upon this, the core engine is still being used. The level of detail and use of latest technology trends being shown here is fantastic. When you think of satellite imagery add-ons/ORBX landclass products, the new Bing maps based imagery and auto gen really blows it out of the water. They really are developing a true digital twin of the entire planet, from creating 32 individual atmospheric layers to computing 1000's of real-time forces across the entire surface of each aircraft..

Cannot wait to see what Ireland will look like and the integration of add-on airports into this environment. Given the level of detail being included, I suspect this product is not just being aimed at the general public, and that many enterprises may use the engine for their custom needs. Interesting times...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Any idea of the release date, early 2020 or late 2020?

Any I wonder what pc specs are required to run at a decent fps

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I sometimes forget that FSX dates back to 2006 and although P3D has built greatly upon this, the core engine is still being used.

Oh dear. I've been out of the simulation world for a long time, 9/11 did us huge damage, and one of the other reasons for moving out was that we could not get the flight model that was being used at that time to perform correctly for the heavy metal that we were working with, and something that looks like a 737-800 but has too many of the underlying characteristics of a Cessna 172 is not a good base to try and build on.

I would expect massive improvements to have come along with scenery, in that the global mapping that is now available should mean a much better rendering both in terms of the mesh size and the hardware performance, but if the underlying flight model has not improved, while there will be many people happy to see Microsoft returning to the product, they will be on the receiving end of a lot of criticism if the flight model has not been significantly updated.

Modelling instruments, analog or digital screen based is a lot simpler now than it was then, the advent of low cost micro processors like Arduino or Raspberry mean that it is massively simpler to interface than it used to be, and projectors or wide screen TVS are a fraction of the price, and being able to use curved 55" and larger flat panel displays is a huge advance on the 37" CRT's that were the only option back in the day if you couldn't afford the massive cost of a projector based wrap round visual system that was the only other option.

It will be interesting to see where this goes, there were some very capable and competent developers working in the Flight Sim arena before 9/11, but it became impossible to keep the projects alive, PC based systems were seen as "the devils spawn" by many training departments, and access to level D simulators became impossible unless you worked for an airline and were type rated, and the larger training organisations outside of airlines were reluctant to use simulators that were frowned on by their airline customers.

The one good thing that might come out of the resurgence of interest in simulation is that I might be able to sell off some of the flight deck hardware I bought in Mojave when we were expecting to keep things going, a complete centre console and flight control yokes from a 727 would go a long way towards creating a very acceptable dual control flight deck.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

This looks like a great implementation of stall and resulting spin behaviour:

They have implemented modelling in a similar manner to Xplane where the aerodynamic forces on the surfaces are calculated and impact on handling.

They've also modelled what happens to winds as you fly over terrain and objects.

Even if you look at the videos, you can see them buffet gently in the winds like in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Wow

any one any idea if they have released PC specs required yet?

any one any idea if they have released PC specs required yet?

Not yet as far as I know.

cheers, really want to start getting an idea of what i need budget wise, hopefully they will announce soon

cheers, really want to start getting an idea of what i need budget wise, hopefully they will announce soon

It's safe to say that your budget should be high as you can go. I believe it's Direct X12 so a good modern graphics card and a good CPU, as always, are going to be needed. 16gb of RAM should be enough.

The latest video linked above talks about adaptive frame rates which could make FS less of a beast to run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

John_Mc wrote: »
    This looks like a great implementation of stall and resulting spin behaviour:

They have implemented modelling in a similar manner to Xplane where the aerodynamic forces on the surfaces are calculated and impact on handling.

They've also modelled what happens to winds as you fly over terrain and objects.

Even if you look at the videos, you can see them buffet gently in the winds like in real life.

Thats the slowest flattest spin I have ever seen :o

Really looking forward to the product tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Games like this could give rise to VR arcades like the LAN cafes of old, people who just want to fly around for an hour or so without dropping a few k on a vr rig.

Imagine flying a Typhoon with the VR and going upside down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭eusap

since its being built on azure will the processing power happen in Azure? and only the video delivered to the pc/xbox (similiar to google arcade) which would mean you need a PC/Broadband capable of display/downloading 4k and not a lot of local processing power?

I Have 300mb/s on Vodafone gigabit on a good day but thankfully it would be easy enough to run a cat5 back up through the wall and down through another wall

eusap wrote: »
    since its being built on azure will the processing power happen in Azure? and only the video delivered to the pc/xbox (similiar to google arcade) which would mean you need a PC/Broadband capable of display/downloading 4k and not a lot of local processing power?

No Azure is only used to layer on additional visual information on top of the base that comes with the sim. Your computer still does all the rendering.

From what I've read though, they've added adaptive frame rates to provide a smoother experience when the going gets tough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Any idea if there are helicopters for this?

Not in the initial version according to what I've read

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I'd love to see a new version of Combat Flight Simulator.

Advertisement