Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Offseason 2021 - Trades, Free Agency, QB Carousel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Latest breakdown of what tools teams have to play with this offseason to improve. Some will need some serious magic to not regress.

https://twitter.com/LeeSharpeNFL/status/1358085470027042818?s=20

Jags for 2023?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Latest breakdown of what tools teams have to play with this offseason to improve. Some will need some serious magic to not regress.

https://twitter.com/LeeSharpeNFL/status/1358085470027042818?s=20

The Rams really are in win now mode. The Saints, win yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,168 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I will cry if this ends up being Ryan Pace's 'swing for the fences to save my job' move at QB. I have a feeling it will be.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1358147327282806787?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭letowski

Oat23 wrote: »
    I will cry if this ends up being Ryan Pace's 'swing for the fences to save my job' move at QB. I have a feeling it will be.

I hope it is the Bears, because I don’t want him in Indy either lol

• Advertisement

If this happens I was completely wrong. The coaching change seeming designed to keep Wentz and was not expecting a team to give Eagles close to enough to eat the dead cap.

Even with the savings from the money the Eagles will eat, a first sounds like a huge overpay for that contract given his recent performances.

I wonder if this is planted intel trying to drum up interest - the way it is worded points to it coming from the Eagles camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The bears are on the inside rail of the wentz trade now ? Haha well ye tried with the starting QB from the eagles super bowl team so why not get the other one. At this stage it’s better if they get a deal sorted that he goes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

He was so bad this year and his contract is so bad its hard to imagine there is much market from him. The tweets recently seem more like either the Eagles or his agent trying to generate some buzz or try to increase his value.

Anyone taking him on should not be giving up more than a mid-round pick in my opinion.

He was QB 34 by passer rating this year:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/player/_/season/2020/seasontype/2/table/passing/sort/QBRating/dir/desc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭letowski

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

He will retire after June 1st to spread the dead cap over two years instead of one. He had two void years at the end of his deal that allows them to do this.

Good for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1358456243820638217?s=19

With the 2021 cap expected to be ~ $180m, it'll be interesting to see what those teams do to get back under the cap. Assuming the Brees restructure isn't taken into account above but they'll still have a lot to do.

Fans of those teams, what are they likely to do and what big names will likely be cap casualties?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

With the 2021 cap expected to be ~ $180m, it'll be interesting to see what those teams do to get back under the cap. Assuming the Brees restructure isn't taken into account above but they'll still have a lot to do.

Fans of those teams, what are they likely to do and what big names will likely be cap casualties?

A quick look on OTC shows the Steelers can get back under the Cap with 5-6 extension / restructure type moves. Vance McDonald has already retired so that’s $5m off the number above and they have about the same again in carryover from 2020. Ben and Maurkise Pouncey might still retire. If they do they will be back around the $180m but their problems will be far from over.

Their biggest issue is that they have 19 guys hitting free agency, including 7-8 important starters. Trying to bring those guys back will be the problem if they want to be remotely competitive next year. Juju, Bud Dupree, James Conner and Mike Hilton would be the best known guys they are likely to lose. Villanueva their LT is likely to retire and their left guard Feiler will also be gone as well.

Whatever happens 2021 is not going to be pretty I fear. They would probably be as well off to move on from Ben, but I don’t think they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Lot of talk of the eagles and a mid.round pick for Wentz. That makes little sense for the eagles..they save mo money and are down a qb. If they see what he has next season they can save money next season any many raise his value. I'd wager some team would throw a mid round pick for a shot at redeeming a no. 2 overall qb next off-season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Eagles will lose djax,alshon,ertz,malik jackson,barnett maby kelce if he retires

nerd69 wrote: »
    Eagles will lose djax,alshon,ertz,malik jackson,barnett maby kelce if he retires

Jason Peters should be on that list also. He’s done loads for the team but he didn’t need to be out there this season.

adrian522 wrote: »
    He was so bad this year and his contract is so bad its hard to imagine there is much market from him. The tweets recently seem more like either the Eagles or his agent trying to generate some buzz or try to increase his value.

Anyone taking him on should not be giving up more than a mid-round pick in my opinion.

He was QB 34 by passer rating this year:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/player/_/season/2020/seasontype/2/table/passing/sort/QBRating/dir/desc

Any team who is even thinking of trading for him should ask him a few questions. 1) are you fully healthy ? 2) what’s the one issue we’d need to address to get you back to your best ? 3) are you willing to be coached and except criticism ?

The reason for those questions are because 1) I don’t believe he was fully healthy the season just gone. Something was wrong and regardless of where he is, it needs to be fixed. 2) this is about his mechanics and in game decision making which when you watch as many eagles games as eagles fans do, it’s clear that is off. He is holding on to the ball way too long and is either not seeing his reads or is and is for whatever reason not going to the open player and going to his safety blanket regardless of whether they are open or not, which leads to INTs, 3) This is a question I’d ask because the talk is that he’s not the type of player to except criticism and it did show in that Doug pederson left him in as starter way longer then he should when it was clear it was hurting the team. I mean look how the eagles players reacted to both nick foles during the super bowl win and even Jalen hurts during his team at the end of this season. It’s different to wentz.

nerd69 wrote: »

Due to their habit of restructuring they save money but there is significant dead money on most of them. Eventually that approach catches up to you.

If they're blowing everything up it would make sense to take whatever they can for Wentz, presuming he is unhappy and not seen as worth the effort to try to reclaim. The fact a player looked to be celebrating is more evidence that he isn't well liked in the locker room.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

JJ Watt released by the Texans. 3 time defensive player of the year.

Had one year left on his contract and by releasing him now, the Texans don't suffer any cap hit but surely they could have found a trade partner. The Steelers will surely be interested in him with having both his brothers there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Texans just cut JJ Watt

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

VillaMad wrote: »

Had one year left on his contract and by releasing him now, the Texans don't suffer any cap hit but surely they could have found a trade partner. The Steelers will surely be interested in him with having both his brothers there.

Only if he's interested in playing for the minimum. Steelers have no cap space at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭boccy23

Not to rain on his parade but with age and injuries, is he not done?

Best for him would be league veterans minimum I'd say.

Steelers couldn't afford to take me on.

DeCosta will no doubt suss things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

boccy23 wrote: »

Definitely not finished but he might be best off going somewhere as part of a rotation rather than playing every down.

Indianapolis, Buffalo, Miami, Cleveland and a few others will probably all pick up the phone. I’m sure he would love to play with his brothers in Pittsburgh but it’s just not a need for them and they have no money anyway, and Derek may be looking for a new team as well depending on the final salary cap number

• Registered Users Posts: 37,495 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

VillaMad wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me one but to see him take a vet minimum deal with the Bucs or Chiefs to try get a ring.

boccy23 wrote: »

That isn't what the data says. Despite seeing the highest double team rate out of all edge rushers he still wins at a rate well above average. Presuming he goes to a good defense I'd expect many people who have written him off to be very surprised at how well he'll perform - the players he has played alongside recently have been for the most part terrible.

https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/1332509974132629505?s=20

Really hard to work out at this point where he ends up as he likely has a lot of different potential motivations - including, a last big pay day, having the best chance to win a ring, to play with his brothers, or to be close to his wife.

Every single team should be calling him to see what he is looking for and whether it is value and can be worked into the their cap situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I've always wanted to see how a team would even begin to try block both Watt and Donald. Won't happen, but it'd be a sight to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I've always wanted to see how a team would even begin to try block both Watt and Donald. Won't happen, but it'd be a sight to see.

When it was announced, it was the first thing I suggested to the lads that he head to LAR. Would love to see that.

• Advertisement

I think they are already $30m over the cap.

Advertisement