Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Airport COVID testing

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/flying-covid-19-harvard-study-wellness/index.html

Sure what would Harvard know! Think if all the items on supermarket shelves and then think of who was touching them before you did?? How often do we pick items up and put them back. It is just as much a risk.

NPHET have been demonizing travel despite very few cases as a direct result of travel all while conveniently ignoring their abject failure to prepare us for a second wave. We have granted NPHET too much power and they almost rule all while charting a path not travelled by other states and doing serious damage to the Irish economy and aviation in particular.

did you actually read ALL that article you quoted? Maybe not, because they then went on to say things that don't fit too well with your agenda.

So, here you go. From the same article that was quoted earlier by you.
    What can go wrong

On the other hand, a study released by Irish researchers shows what can go wrong onboard, even when precautions are taken.
    Through contract tracing, public health officials in Dublin and other cities linked 13 cases to a single passenger on a seven-hour international flight this summer. Fewer than one in five seats were filled. None of the travelers were known to not wear a mask on the flight.
    So how did that spread?
    "Exposure possibilities for flight cases include inflight, during overnight transfer/pre-flight or unknown acquisition before the flight," the researchers wrote. One traveler could have picked up the virus from a family member. Two others spent multi-hour layovers in airport lounges.
    But for others, "in-flight transmission was the only common exposure," they concluded, noting that "four of the flight cases were not seated next to any other positive case, had no contact in the transit lounge, wore face masks in-flight and would not be deemed close contacts."

And then you wonder why NPHET are not happy about the risks of air travel?

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 25 VivaLasBegas

Of course I read it and I see nothing in that article that proves NPHET right about travel. Not sure how it was transmitted so they made suppositions with no actual scientific evidence on the transmission. Just as likely they picked it up in a taxi, a bus, a supermarket etc etc either before or after their journey.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

If this thread continues to avoid talking about covid testing at the airport it will be closed

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

1123heavy wrote: »
    I'd rather get COVID than pay the ridiculous prices being quoted in all honesty.

What makes you say that the price of the test is ridiculous?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd rather get COVID than pay the ridiculous prices being quoted in all honesty.

That's.... that's not how it works.

A test tells you you have it, it doesn't stop you getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

L1011 wrote: »

A test tells you if the virus has been detected. It cannot tell if you are incubating the virus but not yet at the stage where it can be detected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Allow me to rephrase, I'd rather not know I have it than pay this outrageous price to know.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Allow me to rephrase, I'd rather not know I have it than pay this outrageous price to know.

Testing is free from the state if you actually show symptoms.

This price is a convenience fee for getting a test to travel. Its a market driven price. No state agency is going to pay for or even subsidise tests for outbound tourism/business travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Passenger passes PCR test while asymptomatic but contagious, as PCR doesn't detect that early in the cycle and infects multiple passengers on the plane:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2020/11/20/new-zealand-flight-covid/
    The evidence contradicts an October Department of Defense study that suggested a contagious person would need to sit next to a passenger for at least 54 hours to infect them, and declared coronavirus transmission risk on planes “low.” It also raises questions about the efficacy of high-efficient air filtration on planes that airlines have credited as keeping passengers safe.

Link is behind ad block paywall, so you may not get to see it, use incognito mode to bypass paywall

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Its a market driven price.

I'd have to disagree there.

Some gouging going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Is anyone offering an antigen test?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

It will be just like the PPE. In March you would pay €5 for 1 paper facemask. Now they are far cheaper

RocDoc are filling a service and then as time moves on the rapid cheap tests will take over.

I suppose it depends on how badly you need to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blackis200

I need to travel (necessary) to Heathrow next week.
    Do I need to get a PCR test to leave Ireland and enter England?
    I thought Irish citizens are exempt, common travel area etc.
    So confusing..

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CVB

blackis200 wrote: »
    I need to travel (necessary) to Heathrow next week.
    Do I need to get a PCR test to leave Ireland and enter England?
    I thought Irish citizens are exempt, common travel area etc.
    So confusing..

What's the purpose of your necessary travel to UK ?..... what are you telling the garda checkpoint as you drive into airport and again another garda checkpoint inside airport building checking..... ? Everyone need pcr , randox testing company has next day 99euro test and get fly cert....

CVB wrote: »
    What's the purpose of your necessary travel to UK ?

How is that your business or relevant to the ops question? The poster asked a simple question, no need to become a self appointed Garda!

Thank you. Is there a list of testing facilities somewhere?
    I live in Cavan so better try find a PCR test co. near here. I'm going to tell the garda it's a necessary journey so that I can catch my next next flight from London.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

You do not need a PCR to enter the UK from Ireland as things stand this morning, given how random the UK government are check daily.

You will need a PCR test to return and will also need a further test 5 days after return, depending on the length of your trip you might be able to get tested in Ireland get to the UK and get back within 72 hours (72 hours from the test being performed)

If you are in possession of a medical appointment you are exempted from the 5km limits, so a booking email, sms etc should be shown to the garda (If its for COVID testing you hold this up to the window of the car, do not open the window)

You do not need a PCR to enter the UK from Ireland as things stand this morning, given how random the UK government are check daily.

You will need a PCR test to return and will also need a further test 5 days after return, depending on the length of your trip you might be able to get tested in Ireland get to the UK and get back within 72 hours (72 hours from the test being performed)

If you are in possession of a medical appointment you are exempted from the 5km limits, so a booking email, sms etc should be shown to the garda (If its for COVID testing you hold this up to the window of the car, do not open the window)
    Thank you.
    I'm Irish passport holder/citizen/resident going to UK 2 days before a flight to Australia. I'm going to uk so that I can get the required covid test at the qantas specific test centre. This qantas covid test can't be done in Ireland. (Crazy).

If I have to do PCR test in Ireland as well, I have to arrange it now and travel to get the test.

The "within 72 hours of arrival" also is a worry.
    What happens if you get the test 71 hours prior and the flight is delayed by 5 hours?
    Crazy times. Expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

You don't need a test to enter the UK if you have been in Ireland for the last 14 days. Private testing for most providers gives 95% of results within 24 hours, so you then plan to travel around 48 hours after the test so the 72 hours is not a big issue

It might be advisable to have a test before travel to minimise the chance of getting stuck in the UK in the unlikely event a positive result is reported.

I know we are not the gardai but you will need to demonstrate you meet one of the categories permitted for travel. If not thats another 500 euro, though there is talk of 2,000 euro in coming weeks.

You don't need a test to enter the UK if you have been in Ireland for the last 14 days. Private testing for most providers gives 95% of results within 24 hours, so you then plan to travel around 48 hours after the test so the 72 hours is not a big issue

It might be advisable to have a test before travel to minimise the chance of getting stuck in the UK in the unlikely event a positive result is reported.

I know we are not the gardai but you will need to demonstrate you meet one of the categories permitted for travel. If not thats another 500 euro, though there is talk of 2,000 euro in coming weeks.

Thank you. You have been more helpful than anyone else I've contacted.
    Airline just refer to web link. The web link info is unclear

What I understand is that as an Irish citizen, travelling from ireland to London and providing I haven't been out of Ireland in the last 14 days, I dont (CURRENTLY) require a test within 72 hrs of arrival in LONDON.
    That could change at any time.

In my situation (current( a test is not mandatory but I could obtain 1 for peace of mind.

Riding on this is a huge investment in car hires, hotels, flights, quarantine and all other tolls in getting to Australia.
    Stressful times..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

I'm not sure if it's still the case but the UK (at one time) required a test in the 3 calendar days before the flight, not the last 72 hours. If your flight is on a Friday, the test must be on Tuesday - Thursday but not Friday. This means you can't travel to Dublin on the day and get a rapid test done.

Advice from the Irish Embassy in England.

“ Travel from Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands
    People arriving from Ireland, the Isle of Man and Channel Islands (the Common Travel Area) may also not have to complete the passenger locator form or self-isolate.

You do not need to complete the passenger locator form, take a coronavirus test or self-isolate if you:

· arrive in the UK from within the Common Travel Area (CTA)
    · have only been in the CTA in the last 10 days
    You will need to complete the passenger locator form and take a coronavirus test if you have been outside the CTA in the last 10 days. You must do this before you arrive in the UK.
    You can show details of recent travel into the CTA, such as a boarding pass or itinerary, to help confirm that you entered the CTA in the last 10 days.”

"may also not have to"

The problem is going to be at Dublin trying to board the flight. Once on the flight, it doesn't matter.
    €129 each test, a round trip to Dublin 3 days beforehand for a test that probably isn't needed..
    I'm going to have to do what everybody has to do and err on the side of caution by getting the test.
    The only positive is, I'll have a good chance to know I'll pass the test in London.

Thanks to all for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

There is absolutely no requirement and never has been a requirement to have a PCR or any other test for travel on an airline or for entry to the UK if you've been in Ireland (or the CTA) for the 10 days before arriving.

Ireland (and the rest of the CTA) has been exempted from all Covid related travel restrictions that have existed in the UK since the start of the pandemic.

bkehoe wrote: »
    There is absolutely no requirement and never has been a requirement to have a PCR or any other test for travel on an airline or for entry to the UK if you've been in Ireland (or the CTA) for the 10 days before arriving.

Ireland (and the rest of the CTA) has been exempted from all Covid related travel restrictions that have existed in the UK since the start of the pandemic.
    Thank you.
    I've decided to NOT pay for an unnecessary test. It's time and money I dont have..

I'm not coming back for months and when i do, it will be easier or harder.

I'll post after i get to uk.

Advertisement