Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The PDC World Championships 2021

Options
  • 19-10-2020 3:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

Qualified so far ( not counting seeds or main ranking players)

United States - Danny Baggish – CDC USA Series
    Republic of Ireland - Keane Barry – PDC Development Tour
    Canada - Matt Campbell – CDC Canadian Series
    Germany - Nico Kurz – Superleague Germany
    Sweden - Daniel Larsson – PDC Nordic & Baltic
    United States - Danny Lauby – CDC Continental Cup
    Australia - Gordon Mathers – DPA Pro Tour
    England - Ryan Meikle – PDC Development Tour
    Finland - Kim Viljanen – PDC Nordic & Baltic
    England - David Evans - PDC Challenge Tour 1
    China -Chengan Liu - PDC China Qualifier
    Croatia - Boris Krcmar - PDC East Europe Qualifier
    Japan - Edward Shouji Foulkes - PDJ Japanese Qualifier
    England - Lisa Ashton - PDC Womens Qualifier 1
    England - Deta Hedman - PDC Womens qualifier 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Pity Sherrock didn't get through again. Think everybody in the competition would be dreading drawing her in the first round. Deta Hedman, with all due respect to her, not so much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Degag wrote: »
    Pity Sherrock didn't get through again. Think everybody in the competition would be dreading drawing her in the first round. Deta Hedman, with all due respect to her, not so much.

Glad she did not make it, was sickening the hype the last time.

In her last event comms told us how she was "astonishing"....yes, her 88 average was supposedly astonishing.

Sick to the eyeballs of the hype, preferential treatments, and blatant sexism.

Truth is the women are muck in comparison to the men, if they were as good they would not need their own qualifier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Don't think many would be dreading her if there's no crowd there to boo her opponents non stop

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Sick to the eyeballs of the hype, preferential treatments, and blatant sexism.

Truth is the women are muck in comparison to the men, if they were as good they would not need their own qualifier

Have a read over these two sentences again Justin.

it is favoritism.

Tell me, if lisa ashton has a tourcard, plays in a unisex pdc, and is alreasy one of the 128 players.,

why doies she get 2 chances ?

Why is there a seperate qualifier for women. ?
    I(ts sexism against men. You do get that right.
    She cannot make the worlds via the tourcard route, so gets a second chance because she was born a female....

• Advertisement

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    Don't think many would be dreading her if there's no crowd there to boo her opponents non stop

Yeah, fair point. Has there been a decision taken on there being no crowds? Think it will dilute it a bit. Hopefully there might be scope for reduced crowds. Guess it all depends on where the virus is over the next few weeks.

Yeah, fair point. Has there been a decision taken on there being no crowds? Think it will dilute it a bit. Hopefully there might be scope for reduced crowds. Guess it all depends on where the virus is over the next few weeks.

from what I have garnered it seems there will be no crowds if held at ally pally.

The rumours of holding it abroad in possibly germany meant there was the option of partial crowds, and with that obviously ticket revenue.

The revenue the pdc worlds generates just covers the world prize fund in general,
    The PL revenue covers the pl and the floor tours.
    Sponsorship and sky are the other main income areas.

The reality is the PDC cannot keep playing out 6 figure first prizes like the have done for the PL, Matchplay, World Series Finals Grand Prix this year, and will do the same for the PC Finals, European champs finals, Grand Slam and half a million first prize for the worlds.

I'd imagine they'd need to make a call on it very soon if moving

whats the betting with the asian tour cancelled one of the spots will amazingly go to Fallon sheerluck who finished 3rd in the womens series.

I can see the pdc finding some way to get her in, regardless.

Ekrsujx-Wk-AEdwi-K.png

Gorbunov of Russia the latest qualifier

wcinternationalquals-0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭boomdocker

On the one hand I'm all for making it 'true' world champs in a geographical sense
    But on the other hand, there are tour card holders who won;t qualify who surely have more chance of going deep in the competition than some of the international competitors?

boomdocker wrote: »
    On the one hand I'm all for making it 'true' world champs in a geographical sense
    But on the other hand, there are tour card holders who won;t qualify who surely have more chance of going deep in the competition than some of the international competitors?

you could argue there are current tourcard holders who are losing their card cos they are not good enough.

and there are non tourcard holders like for instance corey cadby, who are most than capable of giving anyone a game.
    Jap player Seigo Asada in my opinion is a better player than lisa ashton who has a tourcard.

It is the world championships and players around the world need adding to promote the game.

I recall one year when the amateur bdo hilariously entitled "world pro" had just one single player outside the uk and holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Yes - Cadby ad Asada for sure

But some of the others above, not so sure

In any case you are right in that those tourcard holders I talk of in the lower echelons - if they were any good they should qualify, realistically via the protour OOM

• Registered Users Posts: 37,760 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Are the dates finalised ???

Will we get stephens day games

PTH2009 wrote: »

not even sure the venue has been finalised

I doubt it. I seem to remember there being games on Stephen's Day before; but not in a good few years.

Annoying as well that the final seems to be on the Monday after New Years. Most people will be back to work and would have been nice to have it over the weekend so one could go out....

.... well, if we are allowed out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,760 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I doubt it. I seem to remember there being games on Stephen's Day before; but not in a good few years.

Annoying as well that the final seems to be on the Monday after New Years. Most people will be back to work and would have been nice to have it over the weekend so one could go out....

.... well, if we are allowed out.....

the 2016 championships had games Stephen's night 2015

2 more qualifiers

James Bailey
    Haupai Puha

El-WD96s-XYAYer90.png

the 2016 championships had games Stephen's night 2015

Yeah, so as i said not in a good while. Would be nice to have them on that day but i guess the players may rather to have it off perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

you could argue there are current tourcard holders who are losing their card cos they are not good enough.

and there are non tourcard holders like for instance corey cadby, who are most than capable of giving anyone a game.
    Jap player Seigo Asada in my opinion is a better player than lisa ashton who has a tourcard.

It is the world championships and players around the world need adding to promote the game.

I recall one year when the amateur bdo hilariously entitled "world pro" had just one single player outside the uk and holland.

Careful now. I once got a warning on this forum for referring to a Japanese player as a Jap..

• Advertisement

I cannot edit it now....still I am sure some mod will be happy and use that to lecture or warn me.
    Someone somewhere in Ireland will no doubt be offended by the word on the internet and we cant have that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭celt262

Just put a small bet on the Ferret for the worlds 66/1.

Have backed Rob Cross myself so far. Think 35s is a big price for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Fairly obvious but Price will be hard to beat and probably the one I stick my annual few quid on.

Cue a first round loss...:)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Never thought I’d see the day where Adrian Lewis is 130/1 for the Worlds and Devon Peterson is 24/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

mdwexford wrote: »
    Never thought I’d see the day where Adrian Lewis is 130/1 for the Worlds and Devon Peterson is 24/1.

And he isn't even worth a euro each way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Adrian Lewis is finished imo. Tumbling down the rankings. High 80's average is his regular game these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Adrian Lewis is finished imo. Tumbling down the rankings. High 80's average is his regular game these days.

It's a real shame but I agree. Amazing that he's still only 35 and was a two time world champ at age 26.

He's underachieved massively considering his talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

It's a real shame but I agree. Amazing that he's still only 35 and was a two time world champ at age 26.

He's underachieved massively considering his talent.

I always wonder what caused this huge dip in form. To go from back to back world championships to where he is now in a relatively short space of time is staggering.

I know dart players get dartitis and their sight can go but I don't think this has happened to him.

Lack of practice or other distractions in life maybe?

An awful shame because he was a wonderful player to watch in his pomp.

Advertisement