Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment question for complete novice

• 02-09-2020 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I have a great interest in horse racing and would love to get involved in racing whether it be as a stable hand or well anything really, the issue is I have absolutely no experience in the field, closest iv been to horses are the parade ring. Would anybody have any advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Do you have any experience with any horses or is it just race horses?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jamieon

Do you have any experience with any horses or is it just race horses?

None at all, just very eager to learn, there is an equestrian centre near me where I was planning on getting some experience voluntarily but due to covid that unfortunately isnt possible. It's the downside of living in the city and being interested in the industry. Thanks for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

jamieon wrote: »
    None at all, just very eager to learn, there is an equestrian centre near me where I was planning on getting some experience voluntarily but due to covid that unfortunately isnt possible. It's the downside of living in the city and being interested in the industry. Thanks for your reply

I know it's racehorses you are interested in, but would you be willing to take some riding lessons? It's an easier way to show your face around the place, see how things are ran, and shows more commitment. Then you'd be more likely to get more volunteer work as it can take quite a bit of time to train up someone. There's a lot to learn, and some places may not want to take the risk of having a complete novice around the yard, or take the time to train someone who actually doesn't enjoy horses as much as they thought!

Once you can show that you know your way around a yard/broom/horse, then racing yards would be more likely to take you on as a stable-hand.

Advertisement