Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock/Eirtrade thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

$1000 per seat average?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

smurfjed wrote: »
    $1000 per seat average?
    As I said at the start of my post “very roughly”
    Most tickets between Europe and Australia or Europe and west coast US or middle east and US which would be the 380s hunting ground would be in that price range.
    Moot point anyway.
    The A380 has not been a commercial success otherwise they wouldn’t be shutting down production.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Converting an a380 to fire fight would be insane I take it ? I read why they wouldn’t be good for freight. But for one single run, you wouldn’t need much fuel on board...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Converting an a380 to fire fight would be insane I take it ? I read why they wouldn’t be good for freight. But for one single run, you wouldn’t need much fuel on board...
    Because they're not designed as freighters and to convert them into freighters would require an STC (supplementary type certificate) by the manufacturer or a third party which would involve a huge amount of investment to have it designed and certified. It would also involve a huge amount of structural work to be done on the aircraft to cut the hole for the door and beef up the structure to allow for the changes in load forces and the installation of a cargo loading system.
    With so few aircraft for conversion, so little interest in a freighter version of it it just wouldn't be worth the time and effort (and cost) of designing the STC, they would never recoup the design costs.
    Far better to design an STC for a freighter conversion for aircraft that are already widely available and in cheap supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,648 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Andrew33 wrote: »
    As I said at the start of my post “very roughly”
    Most tickets between Europe and Australia or Europe and west coast US or middle east and US which would be the 380s hunting ground would be in that price range.
    Moot point anyway.
    The A380 has not been a commercial success otherwise they wouldn’t be shutting down production.

I have flown on the A380 at least twice on the Australia - LHR route. The tickets from memory were more like 60% per flight of that as they were return.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    I have flown on the A380 at least twice on the Australia - LHR route. The tickets from memory were more like 60% per flight of that as they were return.
    I hate repeating myself.
    I said ROUGHLY and AVERAGE

I hate repeating myself.

And I was just saying what actual tickets cost me. I wasn't criticising, just attempting to provide data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

I hate repeating myself.

If you're looking at pure averages and not weighted average, you're definitely not going to be less than €1,000 per seat per leg.
    Particularly when you look at the likes of Emirates having at least half of the overall floor space in Business or better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

EK operate with 3 layouts, 14/76/39o, 14/76/427, 0/58/557

Dubai London two weeks from now is €480 economy / €3000 business / €5660 first

So a full load should make 512,200 / 517 = €990 per seat, based on cheap advance purchased tickets.

smurfjed wrote: »
    EK operate with 3 layouts, 14/76/39o, 14/76/427, 0/58/557

Dubai London two weeks from now is €480 economy / €3000 business / €5660 first

So a full load should make 512,200 / 517 = €990 per seat, based on cheap advance purchased tickets.
    So my very rough guess of 1/2 mill was pretty close.
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

What you are forgetting is the return from cargo. If a 330 crossing the Atlantic twice a day can carry enough cargo, as well as pax baggage, to pay for the two trips and still earn a profit, then a 380 can do it. A dozen pallets of medical supplies or computer parts, combined with the earnings from the first and business classes will pay for the economy seats and fuel and wages for those trips. It actually doesnt cost much to move a person in an aeroplane when you move them in multiples of hundreds. Ryanair is the perfect example of this; put enough aircraft into service, fly them often enough and you bring the seat cost per mile down to pennies in some cases. An A380 is just a bigger version of the same thing. The down side is you wear out the aircraft very quickly, so that a ten year old 380 has reached the point where it's worth parting it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

So did anyone get any photos of this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Not in yet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,847 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It looks like it's taken off. It's not showing a destination on flight radar, is it going to Knock?

Edit

New to flight radar, it flew up Leipzig

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Yes, it has flown Dresden - Leipzig this morning.

Connacht wrote: »
    Yes, it has flown Dresden - Leipzig this morning.
    Not seeing it on FR

Del2005 wrote: »
    It looks like it's taken off. It's not showing a destination on flight radar, is it going to Knock?

Edit

New to flight radar, it flew up Leipzig

I don't know about Knock, but it's snowing quite a bit in Clare and Tipp. I'd imagine a dry runway might be preferred.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I don't know about Knock, but it's snowing quite a bit in Clare and Tipp. I'd imagine a dry runway might be preferred.

Yeah wondering if they will fly in to a orange weather warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Yeah wondering if they will fly in to a orange weather warning.

Not due into knock until Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

• Advertisement

eastmayo wrote: »
    Not due into knock until Friday.

Is that because of the weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Flying Ireland are reporting that up to 4 A380 will be scrapped at Knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

Is that because of the weather?

Think it’s going to Leipzig first to have some interior parts taken out, then onto knock to be broken down

Yeah four of them due in to Knock to be broken up.

How will they handle A380.
    Their hanger doesn't look near big enough.
    Will they chop it in 2 outside and cut the tail off before dragging it inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

mickdw wrote: »

Hanger is only 20,000 square feet, will be dismantled on the tarmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

mickdw wrote: »

Aircraft are usually scrapped outside.

Aircraft are usually scrapped outside.

That doesn't sound like a great plan.
    Pulling apart an aluminium shell at the top of a hill in the west of Ireland alongside a working runway - what could possibly go wrong.
    There was a video here of them tearing apart a jet in the hanger which made alot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

Who knows, maybe they'll cut the wings off completely, cut the tail fin and one of the horizontal stabilisers off, then roll the entire 2-storey fuselage on its side?

Should fit through the doors then, shouldn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Look up videos of fuselage scrapping. Its a giant chain wrapped around the fuselage and chopping it into smaller sections

Advertisement