Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Knock/Eirtrade thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

GM228 wrote: »
    There are a few types which have never had a fatality, or even a hull loss (there were 3 x A319 hull losses, but thankfully no fatalities).

Mostly newer types such as the 787s, neos, A340s, A350s etc, but older fleets such as the Boeing 717 for example has had no fatalities or hull losses, same as the Bombardier C Series variants.

Of the various older plane types which have had fatalities I think the 747-8 is the only sub series variant with no fatalities or hull losses.

Air France tried to land a 340 in a thunderstorm in Toronto, overran and ended up in a ravine. No fatalities.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/pASuwW6K9Ww/maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Air France tried to land a 340 in a thunderstorm in Toronto, overran and ended up in a ravine. No fatalities.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/pASuwW6K9Ww/maxresdefault.jpg

Forgot about that one.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

embraer170 wrote: »
    That visit never happened. We had a flight number and an ETD but the Emirates manager (Enda Corneille) deleted the tweets without explanation about 5 days after posting the 3rd one and the aircraft was delivered straight to DXB. Thoughts at the time were that they couldnt spare the aircraft for a PR stunt.
    A319 hasn't, and there's nearly 1500 of them in service, doing several cycles a day.
    But the A319 is part of the wider A318/319/320/321 family.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Why is economy A380 the best bet? Surely the comfort level depends on the airline trim.

https://www.traveller.com.au/airbus-a350-and-boeing-787-dreamliner-economy-class-seat-width-shrinks-h1l5sz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Tenger wrote: »
    That visit never happened. We had a flight number and an ETD but the Emirates manager (Enda Corneille) deleted the tweets without explanation about 5 days after posting the 3rd one and the aircraft was delivered straight to DXB. Thoughts at the time were that they couldnt spare the aircraft for a PR stunt.

It wasn't due to not having spare aircraft but rather Dublin not being able to handle the A380. A lot of work is required to make the taxiways and stands accessible for the aircraft. Not to mention, new equipment as well for catering, servicing etc.

If it was capable, Emirates would be using A380 daily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    It wasn't due to not having spare aircraft but rather Dublin not being able to handle the A380. A lot of work is required to make the taxiways and stands accessible for the aircraft. Not to mention, new equipment as well for catering, servicing etc.

If it was capable, Emirates would be using A380 daily.

It was to come in and depart with no PAX as a publicity stunt, so there was no issues with landing, stabling and take off at Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Only parts of the taxiway system were capable of taking a loaded A380, at the time. Even aircraft like the A330 and 747 can cause problems in Dublin. Parts of the ramp have sunk under their weight, from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,866 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tenger wrote: »
    But the A319 is part of the wider A318/319/320/321 family.

717 was cited earlier and it's part of the DC-9 family...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

This would be something to see alright. But @GVHOT, if the aircraft has left the AF fleet, why would the Call Sign still be AFR375S?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Connacht wrote: »
    This would be something to see alright. But @GVHOT, if the aircraft has left the AF fleet, why would the Call Sign still be AFR375S?

It can have left service but still be on the airline's books from a legal etc point of view. Far from uncommon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

EchoIndia wrote: »
    It can have left service but still be on the airline's books from a legal etc point of view. Far from uncommon.

Thought it was returned to a lessor though?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Manuel

If you want to track it on FlightRadar, just track the reg F-HPJB.

I have an email alert setup in FlightAware for whenever a flight plan is filed for that reg .... just in case @GVHOT gets run over by a bus before Monday (God forbid) .....

Flight plan alert doesn't always work, but I set it up just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

embraer170 wrote: »
    What wide-bodies has Knock seen before? I presume some Boeing 767s at various times.

They've had several wide-body charters (bar the bigger Airbuses). TriStar, DC8, 707s from US in early days.
    Last 747 was a charter in 2003 and but mostly 757 and the odd 767.

foto-no-exif.jpg

---

Here is the last batch scrapped by Eirtrade at EIKN (2x737, 1x757).
    I think one may have been acquired for fire training:

foto-no-exif-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

GM228 wrote: »
    There are a few types which have never had a fatality, or even a hull loss (there were 3 x A319 hull losses, but thankfully no fatalities).

Mostly newer types such as the 787s, neos, A340s, A350s etc, but older fleets such as the Boeing 717 for example has had no fatalities or hull losses, same as the Bombardier C Series variants.

Of the various older plane types which have had fatalities I think the 747-8 is the only sub series variant with no fatalities or hull losses.
    Didn't an Air France A340 skid off the back of a runway and get destroyed?

I'm sure an Ethihad A340 got wrote off during an engine test also....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

Neworder79 wrote: »

Here is the last batch scrapped by Eirtrade at EIKN (2x737, 1x757).
    I think one may have been acquired for fire training:

foto-no-exif-2.jpg

Where was this photo taken from? Will it be possible to get a similar shot of the A380 when she arrives?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Not that it will be an issue but am I right that the A380 can land at Knock but the runway isn’t long enough for it to take off?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

EchoIndia wrote: »

It's normal to remain on the operator's AOC until delivery to it's final resting place and de-registration.
    If the current operator took it off their AOC it would have to be transferred to another AOC or it wouldn't be allowed to fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

hopeso wrote: »
    Where was this photo taken from?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56388143@N06/34072449256

Will it be possible to get a similar shot of the A380 when she arrives?

An Airbus A380? You'll be able to photograph it from Ballina.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Mad that a plane is getting scrapped after just 10 years in service. Anyone got any insight into the breaking process and where it goes? What happens things like the cockpit and all instruments, seats, etc? Would there be a collectors/enthusiasts market for those? Or perhaps film companies creating an airplane set.

And the wings, I presume these are just crushed and recycled but (in theory) could they be re-purposed as turbine blades for wind farms?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

hopeso wrote: »
    Where was this photo taken from? Will it be possible to get a similar shot of the A380 when she arrives?

EIKN-Satellite-sw.jpg

Taken from the the hangar on apron B (purple pin) which you can drive to unless they restrict the access road.
    But given it's size it would be easily visible from the local road and the main Terminal building viewing lounge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Mad that a plane is getting scrapped after just 10 years in service. Anyone got any insight into the breaking process and where it goes? What happens things like the cockpit and all instruments, seats, etc? Would there be a collectors/enthusiasts market for those? Or perhaps film companies creating an airplane set.

And the wings, I presume these are just crushed and recycled but (in theory) could they be re-purposed as turbine blades for wind farms?

Id assume that considering theres still a couple of hundred still flying, the majority of parts will be sold as spares

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭dzilla

I imagine the airplane equivalent of https://partfinder.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Aircraft goes into parts.

Each part will be certified etc.

My brother delivers aircraft parts in the UK, one of the main places he picks up from is Staverton where all sorts are broken up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

The weather isn't really promised to be that great early next week around the NW so I'd not be surprised to see the flight rescheduled.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They would not be in any way suitable for that.

Sorry folks, now the 14th at 1500. With a flight test out of Dresden on the 11th.

Staff at the airport are aware there is an A380 due in so there must be some truth to the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

they strip out every part that can be overhauled as there is a huge market for hydraulic actuators,pumps,valves, instruments, galleys, usable wiring harnesses,undercarriage parts, wheels and brakes, galleys, doors, slides, fuel pumps, fuel tanks, pipes and ducts and a host of other bug and small parts and only when it is a skeleton,will they break it down with a digger's bucket. The scrap will be seperated into steel/aluminium/titanium/tungsten/plasticsand so on 'til all that remains is an oil stain and even that will be cleaned up. Some of the big scrapping centres even have their own furnaces so the alloys can be turned into ingots as quickly as they can feed the stuff in. Collectors and simulator builders can usually reserve parts in advance on breakers' websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

L1011 wrote: »
    They would not be in any way suitable for that.

Economics aside what would exclude them, the shape of a wing or the weight being too heavy? Is there any cross over at all in the engineering considerations of an aircraft wing vs a turbine blade, would have thought both need to be light weight metals that can withstand huge wind forces. Thats as far as my engineering nous goes though :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Economics aside what would exclude them, the shape of a wing or the weight being too heavy? Is there any cross over at all in the engineering considerations of an aircraft wing vs a turbine blade, would have thought both need to be light weight metals that can withstand huge wind forces. Thats as far as my engineering nous goes though :o

Everything.

Shape. Size. Weight. Aerodynamics.

They're two totally different things that look slightly similar.

Also, theres ~480 A380 wings in existance in totality. There are about 1000 turbines 3 blades each in Ireland alone. It wouldn't be worth the effort to try adapt them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭cycling is fun

Sorry folks, now the 14th at 1500. With a flight test out of Dresden on the 11th.

Staff at the airport are aware there is an A380 due in so there must be some truth to the story.

Hi can I ask how you know this? I contacted Knock yesterday via messanger on facebook and they said that had no fixed date as of yet. I live 1 hour from Knock and would be interested in travelling over to see it. I contacted eirtrade and have got no reply back from them yet

can I ask how you came to find out?

Advertisement