Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Knock/Eirtrade thread

• 04-02-2020 1:00pm

Inbound to knock on Friday between 1300-1400 for scrapping F-HPJB

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

For real?! An A380 will be scrapped in NOC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

How did this come about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Locker10a wrote: »
    For real?! An A380 will be scrapped in NOC?

Seems unbelievable to me too, unless that lad who owns the glamping campsite with the 767? is taking it but I would imagine there would be press about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

https://simpleflying.com/air-france-superjumbo-retirement/

Unbelievable!

How will they transport the Turbines? Surely They would need a large aircraft to be able to take off there

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is a scrapping/salvage firm (Eirtrade I think) in NOC.
    Which Aircraft?? Surely a Test bed?

Reg is in the opening post. Normal A380, actually one of the Wave 2 ones that don't have the difficult to maintain wiring harnesses at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

FHPJB
    Its mad altogether but seems legit.

Call sign is AFR375S. As always info comes with a health warning but this seems legit.

https://simpleflying.com/air-france-superjumbo-retirement/

Unbelievable!

How will they transport the Turbines? Surely They would need a large aircraft to be able to take off there

Usual more cost effective to use a low loader. There again you may see an IL76 or a 747 fly in to pick them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

This aircraft is only 10 years old...

Are A380's haemorrhaging money that badly?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

would have thought this was a rather disappointing turn of events for Airbus

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    would have thought this was a rather disappointing turn of events for Airbus

Airbus won’t care at this stage as they have been fully paid. The production line shutting down soon so they have adjusted to it. No orders in quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

In knock??? Really? Is the runway able to handle it? And where will it be stored?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'll take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

why are airlines still talking delivery of these, if relatively new ones are already being scrapped? I mean the economics will be the same surely, in ten years when the new ones need a refit?!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

EIKN is 747 capable, under certain circumstances....and it's not like its going anywhere afterwards(except piece by piece).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

In knock??? Really? Is the runway able to handle it? And where will it be stored?

Be landing empty so should be fine. Will be torn down, so no need for big storage. Parts will go to Rathcoole I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Idbatterim wrote: »
    why are airlines still talking delivery of these, if relatively new ones are already being scrapped? I mean the economics will be the same surely, in ten years when the new ones need a refit?!

The only airline still taking delivery of the A380 is Emirates as these are part of long standing orders, the cost of cancelling from Airbus, purchasing a second hand frame and then refitting such a large airliner would be outrageously high.

The second hand market for the A380 is near non existent anyway, nobody wants to take a 10 year old A380 at market value and begin the difficult, time consuming and expensive task of stripping it and reconfiguring it to their standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

Idbatterim wrote: »
    F-HPJB was No.40 off the production line, and in all likelihood is among the heavier of the A380's, and therefore a lot more expensive to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

PCros wrote: »
    This aircraft is only 10 years old...

Are A380's haemorrhaging money that badly?

All Air France A380's are to be gone from the fleet by 2022 apparently....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I don't buy this, where would the aircraft even sit while it is being dismantled?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't buy this, where would the aircraft even sit while it is being dismantled?

Eitrade have a hangar and pad which they've scrapped plenty of other airframes on

https://eirtradeaviation.com/asset-management/aircraft-storage-disassembly/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

L1011 wrote: »
    Eitrade have a hangar and pad which they've scrapped plenty of other airframes on

https://eirtradeaviation.com/asset-management/aircraft-storage-disassembly/

I had no idea that was there..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I was very recently reading an article on choosing flights and it was saying for economy seating, particularly long duration, your best bet was an A380. It's certainly would be my preference for a 12 hour flight. This is a retrograde step from the point of view of passenger comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭PinOnTheRight

Incidentally, I read today that the final set of A380 wings to be produced are to leave the factory in Broughton on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I'd love to see an operating cost analysis for the A380. The big twins are more efficient, but that was the case even when the A380 was launched. Are they a maintenance black hole?

Crazy to think that a 10 year old airframe is going for beer cans, but presumably the bean counters know their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Incidentally, I read today that the final set of A380 wings to be produced are to leave the factory in Broughton on Thursday.

One less line to move post-Brexit.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

The only airline still taking delivery of the A380 is Emirates as these are part of long standing orders, the cost of cancelling from Airbus, purchasing a second hand frame and then refitting such a large airliner would be outrageously high.

The second hand market for the A380 is near non existent anyway, nobody wants to take a 10 year old A380 at market value and begin the difficult, time consuming and expensive task of stripping it and reconfiguring it to their standards.

This is the last set of Wings, it was moved out of the factory here at Hawarden this afternoon, due to ship out on Thursday. Will be for ANA Japanese airlines who are in the process of recieving the final few aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Was down at the factory this afternoon they were moving the wings out to the Dock for Thursday's sailing

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭EI321

Apparently the A380s are a maintenance nightmare as they age due to their vast complexity. The lack of a second hand or freighter conversion market will see many parked or scrapped as they approach what used to be D checks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

EI321 wrote: »
    Apparently the A380s are a maintenance nightmare as they age due to their vast complexity. The lack of a second hand or freighter conversion market will see many parked or scrapped as they approach what used to be D checks.

I'd imagine airports will start culling the infrastructure for them too, double airbridge etc., so the number of available route options will fall.

Advertisement