Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Football Team is looking for New Players for Summer 2018

• 19-02-2018 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭

Boards has had a football (soccer!) team competing in the astro.ie leagues for more than a decade. The league is ideal for anyone who still wants to experience 11 aside football but doesn’t have time for a grass team. There is no training – simply one 60 minute match one night a week.

We need to add about five or six players to our squad. We have a keeper and we have full backs. We could probably use another centre half and a new winger wouldn't go astray but we are particularly interested in centre midfielders and strikers.
    Having said that, players in all positions are welcome to come and compete for a place.

We will have a friendly match in a few weeks’ time for the benefit of new players.

Some details and logistics are below:

Time: The Summer season will probably start in April and run for 18 weeks. Kick offs are usually between 7pm and 9pm. It will either be a Monday or Tuesday evening this year (most likely Tuesday).

For the 2018 summer league, it will most likely be St. Columcilles School in Knocklyon. Occasionally there may be a match at St. Benildus School in Stillorgan. These are astro pitches so require astro boots or mouldies. No studs allowed.

Costs: To be confirmed but it typically costs €125 euro to join up for a season. That covers 18 refereed matches (that’s about €7 a match) and the use of jerseys.

Standard: It’s a social but competitive league with a mixture of very good teams and good players and more average ones. If you can run for an hour and are able to pass a ball then you’ve a chance of making the team. Player ages range from teenager to middle aged (and sometimes beyond). As it is a social league, we try to make sure everyone who shows up gets game time so we try not to leave anyone on the side lines for too long

If you are interested in playing in one of the friendlies, please comment below with your name and position.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Emmetwb

Hi I'd be interested! I can play centre mid, striker, I used to play 3-4 times a week and am starting that again so I can at least run for the whole game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Hi,

I'd be interested too! Normally play CB or CF, preferably CF!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

I might be able to do every 2nd week if that's any use? (Work is currently setting up a 5-a-side so don't want to conflict with times)
    Midfield or Striker! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I'm interested in playing. I still play competitive football at the weekend but would like to play a bit more during the week.

I play centre mid and on the wing, preferably left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Thanks for replies. Watch this space and I'll let you know when I have a friendly organised. It will be in March I imagine, towards the end of the month.
    And thanks Rizzee but I'd have to stick with just those able to play each week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Are ladies allowed on the team?

Officially I'd have to check with the league. I've never seen it on any team but I can't imagine they'd object and neither would we.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

I would be interested, position wise - wherever required

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

I'd be interested. Was playing one day a week up to recently and looking to get back into it. Prefer to play on the wing or striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 seanog_athlone

I would be interested can play RB or right mid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Hi,

CB if you are still looking, let me know when you're arranging a friendly

Thanks

Barry

Hi All,
    I'm just waiting for the winter season to finish and then teams will available to play us in a friendly. Will post soon about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Definitely interested in this.

Can play CF and off either wing (primarily left footed).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I don't see anything in the league rules about it so I can't see why not.
    http://www.astro.ie/Soccer/11aside/help.aspx#11aside

League is due to start week of April 16th. So at the very least, we'll have a friendly the week before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DiarmuidR99

I'd be very interested, play centre mid but am happy to play wherever necessary, lots of pace and good fitness used to play competitively but than stuck with 5 aside and looking to get back into longer games. Definitely would play every week

So we're having a friendly next week Tuesday 3rd Apr in Stillorgan at 9pm.
    If you're interested, then please pm me and I'll send on all the details.
    There's a chance we'll have another friendly the following week but there's also a chance this will be the only one before the season starts so try to make it if you can.

Ok, Last call.
    We've one more friendly next week on Monday 9th at 9pm in Stillorgan. If anyone else who didn't get onto me last week is interested, drop me a PM.

Advertisement