Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thoughts of the Season

• 22-05-2017 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭

Wow...just fcuking wow....that was a roller coaster season and firstly I would like to thank everyone in this forum for an entertaining year.

As you can see from my post count, I'm not a prolific poster but when I do, it is usually in here. I know I may annoy people with my pure unadulterated optimism about Spurs and usually go for a 4 nil win but for fcuk sake, it has happened more times than not.

Saying that, this year has been the proudest to be a Spurs fan...from goalkeeper to striker and all subs I have loved them all. They have played their hearts out and I really believe if it wasn't for that blip agains the hammers we could have pushed on until the final day and pressurised Chelsea to giving us the league.

I still despise the media, both uk and Irish for never giving us any Kudos and still talk about city, pool, arsenal and United more as challengers against Chelsea than us.

I also am still dumbfounded when media talks about our players stepping up to supposed bigger teams such as United or Liverpool....like why the fcuk would Kane or alli go from one of the most progressive and slickest passing teams to a 4th or 6th place bog ball!

Moving forward changes have to be made...but as the most rose tinted supporter I will leave that to poch...my dad and I were watching the arsenal match (last one in WHL) and he said walker was having a poor match and needed to be sold, I stood up and nearly Anthony Joshua'd him on the chin...how dare he slag my beloved Spurs (even though he has supporting them for 25 years more). 😂😂😂

One thing that does annoy me though...and I have said it a lot, is some negativity in this forum....we need to stand up more for our team and believe they are literally so close to a title...if they are having a bad few minutes, get behind them instead of saying this is "SO SPURSY"... for example, how many said this year eriksen was a disaster????honestly??

We are a small group....we have a great team...I hope we get bigger and prouder next year and honestly would love to meet up at matches.

But I did say before, any trolls who come in and try and get our contributors banned needs to be stood up to.

WE ARE TOTTENHAM, SUPER TOTTENHAM, SUPER TOTTENHAM, FROM THE LANE!!!!

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

joeguevara wrote: »
    Wow...just fcuking wow....that was a roller coaster season and firstly I would like to thank everyone in this forum for an entertaining year.

As you can see from my post count, I'm not a prolific poster but when I do, it is usually in here. I know I may annoy people with my pure unadulterated optimism about Spurs and usually go for a 4 nil win but for fcuk sake, it has happened more times than not.

Saying that, this year has been the proudest to be a Spurs fan...from goalkeeper to striker and all subs I have loved them all. They have played their hearts out and I really believe if it wasn't for that blip agains the hammers we could have pushed on until the final day and pressurised Chelsea to giving us the league.

I still despise the media, both uk and Irish for never giving us any Kudos and still talk about city, pool, arsenal and United more as challengers against Chelsea than us.

I also am still dumbfounded when media talks about our players stepping up to supposed bigger teams such as United or Liverpool....like why the fcuk would Kane or alli go from one of the most progressive and slickest passing teams to a 4th or 6th place bog ball!

Moving forward changes have to be made...but as the most rose tinted supporter I will leave that to poch...my dad and I were watching the arsenal match (last one in WHL) and he said walker was having a poor match and needed to be sold, I stood up and nearly Anthony Joshua'd him on the chin...how dare he slag my beloved Spurs (even though he has supporting them for 25 years more). 😂😂😂

One thing that does annoy me though...and I have said it a lot, is some negativity in this forum....we need to stand up more for our team and believe they are literally so close to a title...if they are having a bad few minutes, get behind them instead of saying this is "SO SPURSY"... for example, how many said this year eriksen was a disaster????honestly??

We are a small group....we have a great team...I hope we get bigger and prouder next year and honestly would love to meet up at matches.

But I did say before, any trolls who come in and try and get our contributors banned needs to be stood up to.

WE ARE TOTTENHAM, SUPER TOTTENHAM, SUPER TOTTENHAM, FROM THE LANE!!!!

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Well Joe, it has been a very good season. The best Spurs team I have ever seen n I'm old enough to remember far back. We all probably love Spurs, Lord knows it hasn't always been easy.

In the modern world we are generally more impatient but want the same thing. Like I said it's been the best Spurs team and though it's been a fantastic we won nothing. Now that's not been critical, just pointing it out.

The reality is that Spurs don't pay the same wage as both Manchester sides, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea. So to hold onto our best players we have to start winning trophies imo.

You can't expect everybody to be happy and supportive at all times, during poor performances we are entitled to air out opinions.
    Eriksen has had a really good season but did have some poor performances early in the season and deserves criticism or accolades depending on how he played. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. It doesn't mean we care less because we voice some negative opinions.

I agree with you that we are close and I really hope we win something big and soon. We all know money will be tight with the stadium venture. Holding on to our best players depends on success and wages. If we don't win something big in the next couple seasons the vultures will be hovering for players who's heads may be turned and Poch.

So while I admire your positivity and love of Tottenham Hotspur, there has to be acceptance of criticism.

Hopefully next year we will be celebrating another great season and some long awaited silverware!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭joeguevara

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Well Joe, it has been a very good season. The best Spurs team I have ever seen n I'm old enough to remember far back. We all probably love Spurs, Lord knows it hasn't always been easy.

In the modern world we are generally more impatient but want the same thing. Like I said it's been the best Spurs team and though it's been a fantastic we won nothing. Now that's not been critical, just pointing it out.

The reality is that Spurs don't pay the same wage as both Manchester sides, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea. So to hold onto our best players we have to start winning trophies imo.

You can't expect everybody to be happy and supportive at all times, during poor performances we are entitled to air out opinions.
    Eriksen has had a really good season but did have some poor performances early in the season and deserves criticism or accolades depending on how he played. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. It doesn't mean we care less because we voice some negative opinions.

I agree with you that we are close and I really hope we win something big and soon. We all know money will be tight with the stadium venture. Holding on to our best players depends on success and wages. If we don't win something big in the next couple seasons the vultures will be hovering for players who's heads may be turned and Poch.

So while I admire your positivity and love of Tottenham Hotspur, there has to be acceptance of criticism.

Hopefully next year we will be celebrating another great season and some long awaited silverware!

Great post and I agree wholeheartedly, and to answer your points I will say the following:

Although we didn't win anything we surpassed all of our rivals except Chelsea. As I said, I will not quote anybody but most people who post here worried that we would get in the top 10.

We pay a business wage and are one of the only teams to make a profit. I will point out all teams below us who spent upwards of 100 million and achieved less. We should be supportive of a club who can achieve so much with our wage bill and transfer bill.

I don't mind anyone who criticises during poor performances. However, most of the criticism occurs when we have a 5 minute bad patch and give out about walker, rose, eriksen etc. Walker and rose were voted on the premiership team of the year but look back on this season and last season and most posts were calling for them to be offloaded.

I am an optimist and I acknowledge I can't see faults...but one thing I love is no matter how much we disagree, Spurs fans are a family. We have been through thick and thin and we will always come out the other side.

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Joeguevara... I like you enthusiasm, it has truly been a great season.

Not so long ago, I thought the team managed my HR was the best spurs side I'd ever seen or would see for some timr but last seasons team was better and this seasons was even better again.

You said you loved every player 1 to 11 and all the subs, I'll assume Sissoko isn't included in that. Ha ha.

Jobeenfitz, your reply was well written.

I too think Erikson was guilty of inconsistencies last season and the early parts of this one too,but credit were credit is due.. He has been phenomenal in recent months. I was amazed to see KDB had more assists than Erikson this season. KDB has himself been very inconvenient. Odd statistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Warriors will sweep the Spurs.

I wouldn't be too worked up by the newspaper talk on our players leaving for other epl clubs.

It would take an insane amount of money (transfer fee and contract wages) to pry any of our top players to our top 6 rivals. I could see a few of them going abroad though. Not HK, Alli or Erikson but perhaps Toby, Vertonghen or Hugo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭slegs

Toby is the worry. He hasn't resigned yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

slegs wrote: »
    Toby is the worry. He hasn't resigned yet.

And I hope he doesn't...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I wouldn't be too worked up by the newspaper talk on our players leaving for other epl clubs.

It would take an insane amount of money (transfer fee and contract wages) to pry any of our top players to our top 6 rivals. I could see a few of them going abroad though. Not HK, Alli or Erikson but perhaps Toby, Vertonghen or Hugo.

I would remove Hugo from that list but add Walker. There are plenty of good keepers out there at the moment and Hugo is probably one of the better paid ones playing in a great side with two very interesting seasons coming up. Keepers are strangely undervalued in football. Look at Pep, the supposed greatest manager in the world, or Wenger for years after Seaman moved on he was playing Keepers who wouldn't get onto my pub team. Hugo has plenty of time left on his contract and there is no way anyone will come in with the Kings ransom Levy would want for him and he is also the unchallenged number one at Spurs.

Walker on the other hand has serious competition from Trippier. He is also at an age where he is a seasoned PL player and international and could triple his wages on a transfer with the kind of money City would offer. At 26, he probably thinks time is running out to a degree in a career where one serious injury could rob him of his pace (or Trippier's elevation could damage his reputation). I could definitely see him going but Levy will again extract a ransom. City, for one, are definitely in the market for a proven pro.(BTW I do know Trippier is the same age, he hasn't had anything like the same profile though).

You don't want to be losing players when we have CL football again next season (yawn!) but sometimes you have to cash in your chips and, apart from his excellent 15 minute cameo as a sub against UTD (when he was outstanding in fairness) I thought Walker looked a bit petulant and seriously lacking in concentration in some of the recent matches where he was rotated with Trippier.

At the end of the day it is not realistic for Spurs to hang on to the two best right backs in English football paying half or a third of what average to poor players are getting in Manchester. As long as we re-invest in some emerging talent elsewhere (apologies to Ajax but I think we should definitely keep raiding them) I'm good with it. In an ideal world though, Walker would go to Bayern of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

The gloss has been taken of the season somewhat for me with the Man utd and Arsenal cup wins. Still its been a great season for us but we need a cup win badly.

1st - Chelsea - 1 trophy.
    2nd - Totttenham - 0 trophy.
    3rd - Man City - 0 trophy.
    4th - Liverpool - 0 trophy.
    5th - Arsenal - 1 trophy.
    6th - Man utd - 2 trophies.

As poor as Arsenal and Man Utd have been all season the have 3 trophies between them, and Utd have been piss poor at times. We need to get trophy in the cupboard asap.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd take CL football over the FA cup any day of the week.

• Advertisement

Maybe because we played so well for most of the season, to see clubs that had poor seasons win trophies is disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Glebee wrote: »
    Maybe because we played so well for most of the season, to see clubs that had poor seasons win trophies is disappointing.

Do you think it's disappointing to finish with 86 points?

joeguevara wrote: »
    Do you think it's disappointing to finish with 86 points?

id be happier if the team that finished second had 85.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd take CL football over the FA cup any day of the week.

Yep, I'd take our season over Arsenal and United's, no bother. Especially over Arsenal's season, being in the CL makes it easier to recruit, brings in the big money, and is the pinnacle of European Club Football. The FA Cup is just an afterthought to the clubs hat make it through the early rounds and has nowhere near the prestige it had many years ago.

COYS!

Where did it all go wrong lads?

(I'm jesting of course) but even at the time of the result I always felt the 1-1 draw with Leicester at whl was gonna be one we looked back on as 2 points badly dropped...

In the end 2 points didn't influence the final standing but if we had closed the gap to 2 points instead of 4 during the run in then who knows.

Chelsea and Liverpool were worthy winners in those 2 games that we lost, no complaints there but United at OT were very fortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

At this stage I want trophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaDerv

Do you not think it's all relative?

No doubt it would be great to win a trophy, but we won the capital one cup or whatever it was called in 2008 and honestly I couldn't care less about it now. Would I trade what we have now to then?! God no.

Mourinho saying success is measured in trophies and Utd fans blindly following him are living in denial. Utd should be challenging for the title every year, possibly the FA Cup and the champions league. They have the players, resources, manager all in place. Yet they finished 17 points behind us!! At the start of the season if you said that to a United fan you'd have been ridiculed.

For Spurs we are competing in the competitions that will generate money. Poch obviously would have preferred to do better in the CL group stages but ultimately from a financial view point it was more important that we qualified again. We played Edwards, CCV and Onomah away to Pool on the Capital One cup. United played Ibra in all games. We are transitioning into a top club but in terms of revenue we are closer to Watford than we are to Liverpool. Let alone, United, City, Arsenal and Chelsea.

We've come along so far in the past 10 years it's phenomenal. There's a long term plan in place with the stadium, the training ground and the team. I believe in Levy and Poch we have an excellent chance of achieving serious goals and will accomplish what they have set out to do without the investment of billions from a rich oil man in Russia or the Middle East. The club has kept its identity, its play style and its fans. It's an exciting time to be a Spurs fan. The future is very bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Agree with the above statement, it is a phenomenal transformation. Beforehand Tottenham just bounced around the league. For me its all dependent on Pochettino, the deck of cards falls with him.

Edwards didn't play against Liverpool though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 10,015 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Really happy with the season I think we play a beautiful exciting brand of football and in poch we've the best manager in the league.
    Id fancy us to win the league next year if it wasn't for the stadium move. Unfortunately I think its coming at the wrong time, just when were building up momentum. Dont get me wrong im delighted were moving to a state of the art stadium, its a pity its not a year later after we won the league. The first few games at "home" will tell us a lot.
    I think we need to win silverware next year, even if it is only the league cup. Imagine the confidence that'll give the team knowing we've a cup won by February and the teams starting to deliver on its massive potential. I really think this is important as it'll take the pressure off somewhat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement