Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

135km at 28km/h. My longest ride so far. What a lovely Sunday it was. I never thought I would get sunburn in Ireland.

https://www.strava.com/activities/643824966

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

sullivlo wrote: »
    55km today. Home to Fairview, up to Howth (Sutton side) and back down the same way and on to Malahide. Straight down the Malahide road then and a right turn home. Average 23kph I think.

Punctured though. Kinda twice. Must have pinched the new tube when putting it in, but used all of my co2 on it so ended up having to walk back to Halfords and borrow their pump as my cycle buddy had no pump with her.

Great day for it. Cultivating the cyclist tan nicely.
    Rule no 5. Always have a pump!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Cycled down to Wicklow Town and back on Saturday, about 105km. On the way out I went via Dalkey/Bray/Greystones... the hills! :eek:

Was passed on the way out and on the way back by another lad enjoying a similar spin (albeit at a bit of a faster pace :p). Nice fella, offered some words of encouragement. I've 2 weekends left to try to build up some fitness before I cycle to France for my hols. I think I'll be alright, I wasn't as tired afterwards as I had been the previous weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Few nice rides over the last 7 days. Running late this morning on my 13k commute, nice to know I've an extra bit in the tank as the fitness levels rise

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Planned a nice long spin up to the North County, hit a pothole in Drumcondra and popped a spoke so that put paid to that. Keep an eye out there on your cycle as the surface seems to be getting worse.

Anyone know how much it costs to replace a spoke?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,988 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think i paid a tenner in humphries. maybe 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

2 spokes and labour was €16 in 360 Cycles.

Receipt states:
    Labour buckle/wheel truing €0
    2 spokes needed
    TJ Labour €16

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭secman

Kilnamanagh to blessington,loop around back of lakes to Manor Kilbride and back to Kilnamanagh. 42km Avg 26.8 kph. Lovely evening for a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Cycled down to Wicklow Town and back on Saturday, about 105km. On the way out I went via Dalkey/Bray/Greystones... the hills! :eek:

Was passed on the way out and on the way back by another lad enjoying a similar spin (albeit at a bit of a faster pace :p). Nice fella, offered some words of encouragement. I've 2 weekends left to try to build up some fitness before I cycle to France for my hols. I think I'll be alright, I wasn't as tired afterwards as I had been the previous weekend.

Well done, good spin.

You've come along way since CS :)

Says me, in fairness.

I'll go for a little spin after work he says, loosen the legs after training them for an hour at lunch in the gym he says, be grand he says.

71.8kms @27.4km/h with 360m of the up stuff.

We shall sleep tonight, rest day tomorrow thanks be to baby jebus.

• Advertisement

usual 28 odd kms to work this morning, a fantatstic day to be on the bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

More bike trauma today, decided a few loops of the park would be a nice way to enjoy the sunshine and build some power back to the legs, cue a puncture and guess what I didn't have with me. That was a fun limp home...

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

Cut out of the office early today and headed back home over the Featherbeds. Wow, it was seriously hot. Garmin was reading 32C heading up Stocking Lane, think the warm tarmac must be adding to an already warm air temperature . In any case it felt like being abroad ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

First experience of road rage in a long while this evening.

I always find it funny when they get stopped at the next set of lights and the windows go up and doors get locked as you pull up next to them. Tunnel vision and they suddenly become deaf. :D

I'll admit it wasn't my finest moment and I did little to improve cyclist/motorist relations. The best part was the moment he almost pissed his pants as I grabbed the door handle. :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,988 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah here, we need more detail. what did he do?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Tipp League TT tonight which was 38.2km instead of 40km, well according to the Strava segment anyway.

1.02.34secs with avg of 37.1km, didnt get picked up by anyone which i was pleased with given i started at 9 and the quality of bike there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

ah here, we need more detail. what did he do?

Ah it wasn't all that exciting to be honest it was the passenger as opposed to the driver. Hanging out the window waving his arms around screaming at me for being in the middle of the lane apparently :rolleyes: The usual ****e but it was funny to se how quickly the big man shrunk when I wanted to have my say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

My commute was slow....if you want to progress do not go Pokemon hunting on your commute.

spin home yesterday was gorgeous, met a fella just finishing a puncture repair. Sweet bike, Spider, a brand I have never heard of before!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

Howth earlier. 42km and managed to grab 4 PR's on Strava. Had to cut my spin short as I managed to endo over the bars coming down from the Howth Rd onto the Clontarf Rd bike path. Pulled the trigger a bit too early on trying to clear the small kerb but my rear wheel caught it flipped me over. Thought I could rescue it but gravity took over. Had to nurse the bike home as I sprained one & half wrists. All bandaged up, tomorrow will be fun!

Just want to say a big thanks to the guy on the green Cannondale for stopping to see if I was OK.

• Advertisement

36k around NCD. still can't seem to go better than about 26km/h average.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

First time up kilmashogue lane...what a bastard. Did not expect the last ramp and had to drop yhe foot for a minute to get my breath back.

Pr's up cruagh and zooming back into town restored some pride

https://www.strava.com/activities/647721997

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

First bee sting of the year. It hit from the side and got caught behind the back strap of the helmet. Kept pedaling ...... rule no 5 and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭secman

A nice and handy spin from Kilnamanagh to Blessington and straight back main road. 42km...Avg 25.3kph. Very few people out on bikes this evening.... Maybe they all took to the hills.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

tigerboon wrote: »
    First bee sting of the year. It hit from the side and got caught behind the back strap of the helmet. Kept pedaling ...... rule no 5 and all that.

Jesus Christ I could have write that . I got hit by one the other day too it hit lodged behind my ear and strap and stung the back of my eye as I waved/flicked it off .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Nice 50 spin yesterday. Very hot - went through 2 litres of water and ate a load of bugs but very enjoyable.

https://www.strava.com/activities/646704051

However it was very nearly marred heading towards Dunshaughlin on the N3 by a car of assholes. Young prick in the passenger seat - sat up on the door out the windoe and threw a litre bottle of water at us while speeding by. Luckily it missed us all - could have been very nasty. I'd love to see these pricks in court but it happened too fast for any of us to get a reg plate and no go-pro among us. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

287k yesterday (from Gortahork, Co Donegal to Rush, Co Dublin). Great to see all the combine harvesters out in force in Dublin last night as I was nearing the end of the ride - hope the weather holds off for them.

https://www.strava.com/activities/647878619

(PS - just woke up starving, hence the early post!)

Serious going, hats off to you. I cycled from Sandyford to 6 cross lane and back to D8 on Monday thinking I was a hero!

Orion wrote: »
    Nice 50 spin yesterday. Very hot - went through 2 litres of water and ate a load of bugs but very enjoyable.

https://www.strava.com/activities/646704051

However it was very nearly marred heading towards Dunshaughlin on the N3 by a car of assholes. Young prick in the passenger seat - sat up on the door out the windoe and threw a litre bottle of water at us while speeding by. Luckily it missed us all - could have been very nasty. I'd love to see these pricks in court but it happened too fast for any of us to get a reg plate and no go-pro among us. :mad:
    Karma, Orion, Karma. The aforementioned pr1ck will get his one day.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

287k yesterday (from Gortahork, Co Donegal to Rush, Co Dublin). Great to see all the combine harvesters out in force in Dublin last night as I was nearing the end of the ride - hope the weather holds off for them.

https://www.strava.com/activities/647878619

(PS - just woke up starving, hence the early post!)
    Jesus, fair play!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement