Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

DrPhilG wrote: »
    So won't he (or we) be asked the length of our stay? The idea is that he would be heading out thinking that he's only going for 8 days. But in fact he's going for 12.

Ah, yes, he probably will be asked when he is returning so that would be a stumbling block. I thought it was 4 days out of the time in NY, not additional days. They don't care about internal travel, but they often ask when you are returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Malaysia Airlines has imposed a ban on checked-in baggage on its flights from Kuala Lumpur to Europe, citing safety and "strong head winds" as the reasons for the measure.
    Economy passengers will only be allowed cabin baggage of up to 7 kilograms, while Business/First passengers can take two pieces on board totalling 14kg, the airline said on its website.
    "In the interest of safety, Malaysia Airlines currently operates a long route to Europe, which combined with temporary unseasonably strong head winds, is limiting the airlines' ability to carry baggage in cargo," it said.

I would have thought that it was better to carry less passengers with their baggage rather than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

smurfjed wrote: »
    I would have thought that it was better to carry less passengers with their baggage rather than this.

Wow - how many long haul passengers would ever comply with those requirements?

Very few - only business travellers going for a couple of days perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Tenger wrote: »
    As I have previously explained to you via PM, the mods are very aware of the spillover from Travel into A&A, we are wiling to allow this as it is inevitable when people look for help about travel and see "Aviation" in our title.
    As long as it doesn't become regular we can tolerate a little. Rules are not always black and white.
    Some other forums/websites have hardline mods who ruin the casual discussion forum atmosphere.
    Hence, we have a travel question thread which I have now merged the CBP thread into. (was using my phone yesterday so couldnt do so)

Please explain to me why the Forum Charter has not been updated to accommodate this change in policy.

The Forum Charter remains unchanged since 2009?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mod note: This is off-topic on thread. If you have any issue, use the Report post function or PM the mods. Any more on thread commentary will earn a sanction.

All mod matters in the A&A forum will be getting looked at shortly.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Please explain to me why the Forum Charter has not been updated to accommodate this change in policy.

The Forum Charter remains unchanged since 2009?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

Hi Folks,

From reading the ryanair website i cant figure out if I can select my seat when i go to check in for my flight tomorrow, the flight is next Thursday so check only opens 7 days before the flight.

I know i can pay to select a seat now, but what i am wondering is if i can select a seat on the left hand side of the plane or will one be automatically allocated for me which could be on the right?

Thanks In Advance

• Registered Users Posts: 32 IrishAir98

While checking in online with EI to the UK are you capable of choosing a seat for free then, and are you able to do it on the self service kiosks in T2

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

This is the Aviation & Aircraft Forum.
    This question is better posed in the Travel Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

IrishAir98 wrote: »
    While checking in online with EI to the UK are you capable of choosing a seat for free then, and are you able to do it on the self service kiosks in T2

Thanks, but my question related to RyanAir?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

This is the Aviation & Aircraft Forum.
    This question is better posed in the Travel Forum.

Isn't that kinda hypocritical to the thread heading?

I thought this fourm was created by the mods for travel questions on this fourm, rather than always kick them away.

• Advertisement

KMFCross wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

From reading the ryanair website i cant figure out if I can select my seat when i go to check in for my flight tomorrow, the flight is next Thursday so check only opens 7 days before the flight.

I know i can pay to select a seat now, but what i am wondering is if i can select a seat on the left hand side of the plane or will one be automatically allocated for me which could be on the right?

Thanks In Advance
    Usually on Ryanair you won't have a problem selecting a "free" seat at check-in. You can also select a "free" seat at time of purchase as well.

I hope this of some use, enjoy your trip.

KMFCross wrote: »
    Thanks, but my question related to RyanAir?
    His/her post is a seperate question. Your question was added to the Airline/Airport/Travel questions thread in the Aviation forum.
    Carnacalla wrote: »
    Isn't that kinda hypocritical to the thread heading?

I thought this fourm was created by the mods for travel questions on this fourm, rather than always kick them away.
    Dammed if you do and dammed if you dont.
    This question seemed less "random google finds A&A" than others. I was trying to get the best of both worlds by adding to our thread while also redirecting to the 'proper' forum.

IrishAir98 wrote: »

Yes. The charge with EI refers to preassigning your seat. Choosing at check-in and/or kiosk is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

If you check in online less than 30 hours before departure you can pick from available seats for free.

If you check on at the desk for most UK destinations and have no checked luggage and your return flight is within 24 hours, they can give you the return boarding card as well if you ask in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭howyanow

Hi There

I have a few questions I hope someone doesn't mind answering for me.
    I have booked a flight Dublin to Boston for Mid April with Aer Lingus.
    I have not flown to the US for ten years as I have developed a fear of flying in the last ten years and I avoided flying for a few years but in the last 3 years I have managed to get to Portugal 3 times and Italy once although I nearly didn't get on one of the flights.
    I find that I can enjoy some of the flights if I can distract myself and I know its a short flight so can deal with the anxiety for a short time.
    I am determined to get to the US but was wondering what to expect nowadays on board in terms of in flight entertainment /food etc as i get restless easily even sitting at home!
    What is the usual flight path,is it Iceland -Greenland-Canada down the Coast to Boston?
    Is there bad turbulence crossing the ocean?
    What is a good seat to choose,Middle Aisle I was thinking?
    Can I bring a Laptop and use Wifi on board?
    How long before the flight should I get to the Airport for clearence etc or does the online visa application cover that?
    I have never had been apply online before so hopefully it is simple to do.

Sorry for so many questions just trying to get the negative things out of my head so I can enjoy the excitement of going rather than dreading it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Hey,

These answers are based on my own experience of regular flights to US for work.

> What is the usual flight path,is it Iceland -Greenland-Canada down the Coast to Boston?
    Pretty much

> Is there bad turbulence crossing the ocean?
    Most flights will pass without any significant turbulence. You might pass through some areas of light turbulence, but it's no bouncier/rough than a bus going over a bad road in Ireland. It would be more a rarity to get strong turbulence that throws people about the cabin.

> What is a good seat to choose,Middle Aisle I was thinking?
    I always go for aisle as it gives you the ability to get up and move around cabin without disturbing a fellow passenger who might be sleeping, etc.

> Can I bring a Laptop and use Wifi on board?
    All Aer Lingus transatlantic flights now have wifi, for a fee. You won't be able to use any streaming like netflix or youtube. But you can do general browsing and email, etc.

> How long before the flight should I get to the Airport for clearence etc or does the online visa application cover that?
    I'd give it at least 2 hours min. All the US flights tend to leave around the same time window, so everyone is passing through pre-clearence at the same time. It usually moves smoothly but I personally like to get to the airport at least three hours in advance and pass thru security and pre-clearance as quickly as I can. Then I can sit and relax before the flight, get something to eat and not stress about missing flight etc

> I have never had been apply online before so hopefully it is simple to do.
    It is, just make sure to use the official site (https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/) and not a third party that charges a hefty fee for doing the form on your behalf

irlrobins wrote: »

> Can I bring a Laptop and use Wifi on board?
    All Aer Lingus transatlantic flights now have wifi, for a fee. You won't be able to use any streaming like netflix or youtube. But you can do general browsing and email, etc.

Negetive, only the A330's in the fleet have WiFi. The OP will be likely be travelling on one, but alot of routes are without

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Negetive, only the A330's in the fleet have WiFi. The OP will be likely be travelling on one, but alot of routes are without
    Sorry, forgot about the 757's.

The OP is flying Dublin-Boston in mid-April - that will be an A330.

Probably better to leave the other routes/aircraft out of this discussion lest they get confused.

OP you can also pre-order enhanced meals in Economy.
    https://www.aerlingus.com/experience-aer-lingus/dining/transatlantic-economy/#/0

irlrobins covered the main answers already.

-what to expect nowadays on board in terms of in flight entertainment /food etc as i get restless easily even sitting at home!
    All EI aircraft across the Atlantic have personal TV's with on demand films and TV shows. You get 1 meal and 1 snack. Soft drinks are free, charge for alcohol and extra sweets/treats.
    You can also pre-order an upgraded meal as posted above.

-What is the usual flight path,is it Iceland -Greenland-Canada down the Coast to Boston?-Is there bad turbulence crossing the ocean?
    Going DUB-BOS you will most probably pass south of Iceland and Greenland. Usual landfall is over Newfoundland and then down the coast to Boston.

-What is a good seat to choose,Middle Aisle I was thinking? If you worry about turbulence then mid cabin is best (level with wings) So maybe row 18-28? As for aisle or window...depends on whether you feel better with space or a window. I know I prefer the aisle as I like to get up and dont mind people inside me getting past me.

-Can I bring a Laptop and use Wifi on board?You can bring a laptop, there are power ports 1 between each pair of seats. Wi-Fi on all A330 flights to US ex-DUB. You have to pay to use it.
    (EDIT; the early DUB-JFK is the exception in the Summer as it is on a B757)

-How long before the flight should I get to the Airport for clearance etc or does the online visa application cover that? I have never had been apply online before so hopefully it is simple to do.

As per EI website,advice is to arrive 2-3 hours before departure.
    You must have your ESTA visa completed online before you will be allowed to check-in. It costs ~$15 and must be done on the official website. http://www.esta-gov-dhs.us/
    Ignore any 3rd party website charging more than ~$15

The form is long but straightforward.

• Advertisement

-Can I bring a Laptop and use Wifi on board?You can bring a laptop, there are power ports 1 between each pair of seats. Wi-Fi on all flights to the US ex-DUB. You have to pay to use it.

Again, no. Early morning JFK will be a 757, as well as IAD. JFK and BOS are regularly 757 in the winter season too.

Again, no. Early morning JFK as I'm will be a 757, as well as IAD. JFK and BOS are regularly 757 in the winter season too.

The OP is only asking about DUB-BOS in mid-April - this is irrelevant to that query!

I appreciate where you're coming from, but it is a specific query not a general one and you'll only end up confusing them!

lxflyer wrote: »
    The OP is only asking about DUB-BOS in mid-April - this is irrelevant to that query!

I appreciate where you're coming from, but it is a specific query not a general one and you'll only end up confusing them!

Just correcting a few mistakes, it may be a specific query but I'm sure you respect it's more than just the OP reading it, and many others may use the info. It has been very well answered by both Tenger and irlrobins.

Thanks for all the information!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Have to go to the US again for work, this time Memphis, not that easy to get to and I have to fly One World for the points, upside to this trip is I get to fly LHR to MIA on a BA A380 which will be a first for me!

Inquitus wrote: »
    Have to go to the US again for work, this time Memphis, not that easy to get to and I have to fly One World for the points, upside to this trip is I get to fly LHR to MIA on a BA A380 which will be a first for me!

That's wonderful, what's your query or question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

A friend is going from to Cork to Japan via london soon with, all booked through British Airways, they got a bit nervous about if the baggage would be checked straight through or not (and the baggage allowances) so they asked BA and were told they would have to check in twice and the baggage allowance was less for the cork london leg. I was just wondering was there some recent change because I did a similar trip before and it was all checked straight trough with the same allowance.

Another complication, they want an extra bag but the rep said they would have to pay the 70 euro surcharge twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

imitation wrote: »
    A friend is going from to Cork to Japan via london soon with, all booked through British Airways, they got a bit nervous about if the baggage would be checked straight through or not (and the baggage allowances) so they asked BA and were told they would have to check in twice and the baggage allowance was less for the cork london leg. I was just wondering was there some recent change because I did a similar trip before and it was all checked straight trough with the same allowance.

Another complication, they want an extra bag but the rep said they would have to pay the 70 euro surcharge twice.

It should be checked straight through.

I have a couple of more questions I hope someone doesn't mind answering for me.
    I went to book my seats for the flights but could only choose seats for return flight,anyone know why I cannot book seats for flight out?

I remember flying over on what felt to me was a huge plane with 3 rows of seating 3-4-3 in aisles about 10 years ago.
    I noticed while choosing seats on return flight that the seating plan was different.Are those planes no longer in use?I remember feeling more comfortable with it beeing a larger plane than I had been on beforehand and was good to be able to get up and walk around every now and again.

• Advertisement

howyanow wrote: »
    I have a couple of more questions I hope someone doesn't mind answering for me.
    I went to book my seats for the flights but could only choose seats for return flight,anyone know why I cannot book seats for flight out?

I remember flying over on what felt to me was a huge plane with 3 rows of seating 3-4-3 in aisles about 10 years ago.
    I noticed while choosing seats on return flight that the seating plan was different.Are those planes no longer in use?I remember feeling more comfortable with it beeing a larger plane than I had been on beforehand and was good to be able to get up and walk around every now and again.

What was the seating plan? A330's that EI use are 2-4-2. If it was quite a while back you may have been on a 747.

Advertisement