Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Railways Video Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    The Galway cab ride is amazing. Would love to see it sharpened up and stabilised with the locations of the stations on it.

The names of the stations are given, however there are some errors;
    Clondalkin station is labelled Hazelhatch, and Cherry Orchard is labelled Lucan South.
    In the video, the real Hazelhatch is clear, but would be unrecognisable to a newcomer, while little remained of the old Lucan South, long before the nineties.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

Another 071 Class video :)

And something a little different.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

A mix of freight and loose-coupled goods workings from 1971. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

It's at this time of year that I always miss Joe the most and this evening I came across his 2010 Christmas card - complete with his name misspelt by the printer. We used to laugh about that as I often suffered from the same treatment.

Three C-class together at a very, very remote location - what a picture! Sorry about the poor scan.

Ni bheidh a leithead ann aris.

Joe%2B2.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Hi guys. I'm using the stock browser on my Samsung S6 and none of the videos are showing. It's probably some blocker or other but does anyone have any suggestions for a quick fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

jca wrote: »
    Hi guys. I'm using the stock browser on my Samsung S6 and none of the videos are showing. It's probably some blocker or other but does anyone have any suggestions for a quick fix?

You probably have to update youtube or flash apps. I use Chrome browser on any Android phone as it just works.

I find the stock Samsung apps can act up at times.

You probably have to update youtube or flash apps. I use Chrome browser on any Android phone as it just works.

I find the stock Samsung apps can act up at times.

Downloaded chrome and all is working perfectly, many thanks. Happy Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

Del.Monte wrote: »
    It's at this time of year that I always miss Joe the most and this evening I came across his 2010 Christmas card - complete with his name misspelt by the printer. We used to laugh about that as I often suffered from the same treatment.

Three C-class together at a very, very remote location - what a picture! Sorry about the poor scan.

Ni bheidh a leithead ann aris.

Joe%2B2.png
    We'll never see his like again, fós caill air an méid sin.
    Regards
    hg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Eiretrains wrote: »
    A mix of freight and loose-coupled goods workings from 1971. :)

Great work and rare to see a C and 141 in multiple, rarer so in video but here's a question; where and why is the Baby propelling her consist of brown vans mid video?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Great work and rare to see a C and 141 in multiple, rarer so in video but here's a question; where and why is the Baby propelling her consist of brown vans mid video?

I noticed that and wasn't sure if 190 was hauling an A or working with a C, it's hard to tell but judging by the loco lenght and train type I'd say it's working with a C, but still not 100% certain, rare indeed if it's a C.

GM228 wrote: »
    I noticed that and wasn't sure if 190 was hauling an A or working with a C, it's hard to tell but judging by the loco lenght and train type I'd say it's working with a C, rare indeed.

1) The C appears to have a 5 in it's fleet number; if so then it's either 215 or 225. I'll refer to the Metro Vick book and see if it sheds any light on the issue.

2) I'm wondering aloud if the propel is a working ex Grace Dieu depot towards Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

h.gricer wrote: »
    We'll never see his like again, fós caill air an méid sin.
    Regards
    hg

Not quite true. What a lot of you guys forget is that what you are shooting now and over the last 10 years will be pure gold in the future. Keep at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭yachtsman

It's an Ar.

1) The C appears to have a 5 in it's fleet number; if so then it's either 215 or 225. I'll refer to the Metro Vick book and see if it sheds any light on the issue.
    yachtsman wrote: »
    It's an Ar.

Yachtsman is correct, it is an A now I see it on the bigger screen.

Anybody got any photos/videos of a C in multiple with a 121/141/181? I've only ever seen one before.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Not quite true. What a lot of you guys forget is that what you are shooting now and over the last 10 years will be pure gold in the future. Keep at it.

Not comparing like with like. When Joe was filming there were precious few people dabbling in cine, there was still a railway with lots of interesting places to visit and traffic to see. Today everybody has a video camera or phone, there's no railway left and no traffic except ICRs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Not comparing like with like. When Joe was filming there were precious few people dabbling in cine, there was still a railway with lots of interesting places to visit and traffic to see. Today everybody has a video camera or phone, there's no railway left and no traffic except ICRs.

well, it could be a hell of a lot worse. the anti-rail head bangers could have got their way and we wouldn't even have an ICR and a bit of track at all. they may get their way yet

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Spolisport. You've obviously run out of Quality Street.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

One thread which was sadly TAKEN DOWN off YouTube this year was of Swinford station 1961. Featured the arrival and departure back the way it came of a Metrovick leading a passenger train which I think was numbered A42 (video was GRAINY). The earliest colour footage of a Deisel train in Irish service I believe.

I'm glad Joe hasn't been forgotten and it's great to read he is still revered to this day.

Just to answer a few queries, the A Class working with B190 is more than likely A38R, which subsequently features hauling the laden beet out of Waterford. It probably wasn't working in multiple and that it was more likely a locomotive positioning run from Limerick Junction.

Once arrived, B190 off hooks and works the trip goods to the iron foundry sidings at Waterford South, propelling back into the siding from Grace Dieu Junction. On the way back it propels back into Waterford. A38R either picked up a laden beet in Waterford yard (or had worked from Wellingtonbridge in the meantime etc..)

I'm glad Joe hasn't been forgotten and it's great to read he is still revered to this day.

Just to answer a few queries, the A Class working with B190 is more than likely A38R, which subsequently features hauling the laden beet out of Waterford. It probably wasn't working in multiple and that it was more likely a locomotive positioning run from Limerick Junction.

Once arrived, B190 off hooks and works the trip goods to the iron foundry sidings at Waterford South, propelling back into the siding from Grace Dieu Junction. On the way back it propels back into Waterford. A38R either picked up a laden beet in Waterford yard (or had worked from Wellingtonbridge in the meantime etc..)

It most definitely wasn't working in multiple as it wasn't possible with the As.

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    One thread which was sadly TAKEN DOWN off YouTube this year was of Swinford station 1961. Featured the arrival and departure back the way it came of a Metrovick leading a passenger train which I think was numbered A42 (video was GRAINY). The earliest colour footage of a Deisel train in Irish service I believe.

One of the Irish Railway DVD series features footage of a G class on a mixed train on the Foynes branch. Not quite as old but amazing nonetheless.

Maybe it was broken down(the A that is) and it was getting a tow. Not unusual for them.

Seriously though. None of us knows what will happen in the years ahead. These days a lot of technology isn't backed up because it comes so cheap and trust me it will get lost. I shot on Super 8mm cine in 1984. It was £8 a roll including development. Still big bucks even then. I have every roll I shot. I appreciate what Joe and his kind did.

Also remember that todays railway may not look interesting to us now, but the day may come when a railcar in Thurles will be treasured. I could add lots of examples, but ultimately only a small minority will look after their footage. Youtube/Vimeo/Facebook could disappear off the face of the planet and a lot will be left with no back up. Ultimately photos and video taken now will be a historical reference in a future that is undecided. We learn from the past, so I say keep shooting and keep it backed up.

Good points and I have spent the last ten years dispersing my once large collection of railwayana, photographs, cine film etc. to the highest bidders - I regret parting with some of the stuff but needs must. You're right about the need to back everything up and I do - USB, cd/dvd, the cloud, private blogs etc. it's never been easier.

As for things of interest to photograph - perhaps when the Cork & Limerick Direct is rebuilt or the first passenger train on the rebuilt Burma Road ....:D

As for things of interest to photograph - perhaps when the Cork & Limerick Direct is rebuilt or the first passenger train on the rebuilt Burma Road ....:D

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I give up! C'mon, next year we have the PPT service to shoot.:D

Grandeeod wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I give up! C'mon, next year we have the PPT service to shoot.:D

Aye, there will be lots of shooting possibilities once that service starts - especially around Cabra yard. :D

• Advertisement

Aye, there will be lots of shooting possibilities once that service starts - especially around Cabra yard. :D

Right I'm outta here. Heading to Galway in a few hours....BY CAR...loading the rubber dingy in.

Advertisement