Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Philadelphia Eagles Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Michael Vick's took another big hit last night against the Pats, last night x-ray was clear, but he's having further MRi-CT scans later today. The guy just seems to hang on to the ball way too long at times. At 32, he ain't getting any younger and his injuries are just going to get more serious if he keeps doing it. Just wondering what you Eagles fans think.

There was a play a few plays before he got hit where he went running and diving head first for a first down :o jesus man it's preseason - don't be looking to get hit would ya :o

It's always going to be a worry having a rushing QB like Vick and especially seeing as he gets injured so much. You want to be able to say you'll have your same starting QB for all 16 regular season games and throughout the playoffs - As an Eagles fan that just seems far too much to ask with Vick at the reigns. It's a real pity as he's such a great dual threat QB. It's great that he can run and is such a real threat when he does but at this stage I see him start a run and I'm just willing him to slide and take the yards before getting hit because inevitably he's going to get injured sooner or later.

Typically though the play he did get hit on wasn't due to him rushing at all but was a good pass rush and hit him as he was releasing the ball. Can't remember who it was that hit him but it was a big hit and would shake up a lot of guys. And in Vick's case of course that's going to mean a good chance he's going to get injured because he is fragile compared to a lot of other QB's in the league. Which once again comes back to the point - god damn it man slide rather than risk the big hit when you go running - every defensive player on the field is going to knock you into next week. And to add to it as you pointed out he seems to hate the idea of throwing the ball away until there's a couple of big D-Line men throwing him into the turf.

Fole did look good last night though which is a good sign at least so we have some options for those couple of weeks when Vick is going to be out injured unless by some divine intervention he manages to avoid getting injured this season (he might take my advice :pac: and go out of his way to not get hit or something)

Vick is probably going to get injured - it's a pain in the arse but we've got to deal with it and hope that whenever he's out we can cope and scrapes wins. Just the way it is being an Eagles fan unless Vick goes out and radically changes his playing style - but from seeing the diving head first for a first down last night I have no great hope of seeing that this year tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

I think Vicks is brave to the point of being foolish, not qualities I would want if he was my franchise QB. I have never seen Foles play before, but I really liked the look of that kid last night. He took a big hit from rookie Jake Bequette, gets up and then has a pretty nice pass completion. Nice qualities to see in a QB, what is his normal position on the depth chart?
    3rd behind vick and Kafka although he may be second after the last 2 games

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Typically though the play he did get hit on wasn't due to him rushing at all but was a good pass rush and hit him as he was releasing the ball. Can't remember who it was that hit him but it was a big hit and would shake up a lot of guys..

Jermaine Cunningham made the hit, if was a big hit but clean. kinda ironic alright that Vicks did seem to be going to ground to protect himself for once and he still gets injured. But he was living dangerously before that.
    nerd69 wrote: »
    3rd behind vick and Kafka although he may be second after the last 2 games

If he keeps playing the way he did last night and if Vicks is out, I'd start the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I personally think that Vick needs to get out the tape of McNabb from about 2001. At that point McNabb was in a very similar position to Vick in terms of his standing as an NFL QB. Everyone knew the ability that No 5 had at that stage, just like we know the talent that Vick has, but it was only then that Donavan really started to come into his own.

What made McNabb become a great QB was a game against Tampa Bay, I think, that he fractured his ankle and played on. He was stuck in the pocket and effectively a statue yet he showed off his arm and his intellegence and played probably one of the defining games of his career.

Vick has one of the strongest arms in the league and two years ago he displayed so much ability because he didnt take off and run. Look back at the tape from 2010 of Mike Vick and you can see a player that could rival Brady, Manning and Brees as a top tier QB. He was stunning for much of that year but last season he regressed.

Ive no doubt that a lot of that was because he effectively lost DeSean Jackson when the wideout just mailled in his season and we had a lot of pass protection issues early in the season. When we shored up the line Vick looked much better but he was still too quick to run.

He needs to know that the checkdown to McCoy is a positive play and that the TE will be available to short passes. If he can turn 50 or 60% of the paniced runs into these types of passes he can have a great season otherwise as everyone else has noted he'll just get injured and our season will go into the tank

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭irish_man

I'm sad to say it but I really don't see Philly coming close to the superbowl this year. I just think Vick's frailties will just come back to haunt them. I know it's great having a mobile quarterback but it's ludicrous when you see vick put his body on the line by trying to scramble for 2 or 3 needless yards. He's been blitzed with injuries down the years and that surely wouldn't help for all the time he gets hit. The loss of Peters makes things much worse and neither King Dunlap or Bell looks like they would be fit to shine Peters' shoes.

In fairness to the Eagles, you can't really say that they are weak in any position. Sure you can say safety but it really isn't a majority important position especially when you have 2 quality CBs. They should be able to lift their games with the talent around them.

I hope so much I'm wrong but I think the eagles will be a 10-6, 11-5 team and may win one play-off game but that's it. If I'm wrong and they do get any further please feel free to tell me cause I'll be delighted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

frostie500 wrote: »
    What made McNabb become a great QB was a game against Tampa Bay, I think, that he fractured his ankle and played on. He was stuck in the pocket and effectively a statue yet he showed off his arm and his intellegence and played probably one of the defining games of his career.

And yet Eagles fans questioned his toughness

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Someone needs to tell michael vick that he isn't Jim Brown.

hate to say it but vick does seem to be the big question in the team hes just to injury prone and most of the hits are unneccesary he actually has a better line than his first year when he was in contention for mvp

with regards donovan mcnabb i think vick has a bigger more accurate arm but donoban was a big guy so he could take a hit

also eagles fans never questioned mcnabbs physical toughness it was more his mental toughness there was people questioned if he was to fragile mentally to lead a team to a sb in phillys no running offence. for the record i was a fan of him at the time.

im pretty happy with last week with one exception the penalty count was ridiculous i think it was about 130 yards

lesean mccoy is the most exciting football player to watch at the moment in my opinion

can any non eagles fans who watched the condensed game or the game tell me what they thought of foles

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

nerd69 wrote: »
    can any non eagles fans who watched the condensed game or the game tell me what they thought of foles

You probably thought I was an Eagles fan reading my posts yesterday. But just for the record, I'm a Pats fan and as I said, I thought Foles did very well. If he keeps playing like that, he deserves to move up the depth chart.

• Advertisement

Nick Foles got the start last night in the 27-10 win over the browns and played well.

9-7 or better for Andy Reid or it will be good luck and gracias.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    9-7 or better for Andy Reid or it will be good luck and gracias.

i find it hard to argue with it if they let him go should we go 8-8 i love andy reid but hes been here 13 years hes had good teams and hes been given a lot of power and hes not gotten a sb having said all that i cant see the eagles going 8-8 or lower this year we were unlucky with a lot of things last year

Must do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Xfire Elect

*sigh* I was far too delighted with a win over the Browns by the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭JerseyJoe

There's no reason for Mike Vick to be throwing 56 times in a game, especially when he has McCoy in the backfield...

The run/pass playcalling ratio was also diabolical. :confused:

It HAS to get better, or it's gonna be another long, ugly season.

On a positive note the d played well and actually stopped the run juan should b better with the experience the offence was terrible though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Sloppy...just sloppy. Was Reid lucky to get another season?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Poor stuff from Vick. I watched the game again and the o-line actually wasn't as bad as i thought they were. Some of the holding calls were a joke. Vick had numerous chances to just go and take a 6-8 yard scramble but instead threw across his body. Ridic tbh, i get that he doesn't want to get injured but then learn to SLIDE!!! I worry that this is a huge missed op for this team. We've so much talent but i'm far from convinced that Vick is the answer... :(

one brightspot for me was the play of our linebackers. Pretty sure we won't have to worry about them again.

I'd put some money on Andy being gone after this year and Gruden taking over. He's a huge fan of foles and it's actually set up for a Gruden special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Gruden is a huge fan of every young QB!

When you praise everyone it starts to become meaningless

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »

I think grudens a fan of every qb to be honest

mikemac1 wrote: »

Maybe but Foles is special. He's basically Montana, Brady, Rodgers and Thyler Thigpen rolled into one.

Thoughts on this weekends game lads? Rewatched last weeks shambles yesterday... the o-line was actually a lot better than i thought. Vick was worse than i thought, which was tough because I thought he was muck! Big thing this week is cutting out the penalties... cant do that against the Ravens.

Rule 1 give the ball to McCoy
    Rule 2 don't let Vick drop back 50 feckin times

We have 3 very good rbs use them

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭JerseyJoe

Yeah, giving the ball to McCoy more often early should be key for this game. If he breaks some decent runs, it could allow play action to work better as well. They shouldn't be afraid to use him as a receiver, either.

If they can't go downfield against this defense, they should aim for Celek over the middle for intermediate passes...not just 'cause he's on my fantasy team, of course. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I was actually quite pleased with last nights performance.

We showed a lot more balance with 31 rushes from the backs and 10 from Vick (of which I'd say about five were designed runs as opposed to him breaking contain) compared to 32 passes (with five passes where Vick ran) so it gives almost 50:50 balance and a very positive step in the right direction.

Shady McCoy was dangerous all day and though the Ravens did a good job of containing him it always seemed like he was able to make a big play. The offence moved the chains very effectively and we converted something like 60% of 3rd downs which is very impressive against the Ravens.

Vick looked a lot better last night too even though he threw a pair of picks. The first interception was a bad throw where he underthrew the ball by a couple of yards and the second one was unlucky off a tipped pass that could easily have fallen harmlessly to the ground.

Right from the start though we were able to cut through the Ravens by passing the ball and it was great to see Brent Celek so heavily involved, 8 catches and 157 yards, and every time we needed a big play it seemed that his number was called.

Maclin and Jackson also did very well considering they were both carrying injuries. I thought the Maclin TD was superb and really showed off the kind of offence that the Eagles can produce. Vick looked very rusty against the Browns but given he was injured for pretty much all of pre-season that can be excused.

He was much sharper against the Ravens and it has to give us all heart to see the improvement from one week to another.

The defence was very impressive again and it looks much more like a "Jim Johnson" bend dont break defence that puts a lot of pressure on the opposing QB while allowing them to move down the field before shutting down the final third of the pitch.

Keeping Flacco to completing only half his throws and Ray Rice to under 100 yards is a great showing by the defence and a pick, a forced fumble and two sacks are always a good day at the office.

I'd prefer to not have to come from behind with wins in the last two minutes every week but I'll take 2-0 with room for improvement rather than 0-2 any day of the week!

i agree frostie i was a lot happier than after the browns game i still think the ravens threw it away as much as we won it but our d has been excellent so far

my biggest issue is our consistency on o. our line is getting thinner as we go along and i feel kelce is nearly as big a loss as peters as i just dont know anything about this reynolds chap i would regard myself as pretty knowledgeable when it comes to eagles players but i just dont know anything about him having said that i could look at this from a glass half full standpoint and say mudd pulled kelce out of knowhere as well as he did with saturday before him

should be an interesting game sunday against a d that was able to frustrate tom brady. i think our d should destroy there offence and that should net us the game but this is a big week for vick im happy to see he seems to be getting clutch but he needs to do something for the first 3 quarters as well.

despite all my complaints we are 2-0 im far happier with that off average performances than i would be 0-2 off fantastic performances heres hoping we can go 3-0 sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/0ap1000000064114/Sound-FX-DeMeco-Ryans

Hard not to like this guy already, a real leader on D, something we've been missing hugely since Dawkins left. Kendricks under his wing will only get better and better too.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000064817/article/larry-fitzgerald-of-cardinals-i-was-almost-a-philadelphia-eagle?module=HP11_headline_stack

ahhh christ i thought i was happy with the team and then i hear this ahh what could have been

btw the picks involved ended up being trevor laws,bryan smith and a future pick

• Advertisement

holy **** lads just tuned in to catch the end of the game thought it would be closer than people realised and thought kolb would come back to bite us in the ass but never saw this happening

what happened where we this bad or where they this good?

Advertisement