Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
29-01-2021, 13:13   #826
honda boi
Registered User
 
honda boi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,393
Car: 2006 Volvo S40 1.6 petrol
Licence :full
Age : 28
NCB : 7 years named driver experience.
€532 with liberty
Liberty seem to be the only ones to either insure me at all or at reasonable price.
Very happy with that price. First time having my own car policy, only been a named driver with my partner and my own motorbike policy
honda boi is online now  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-02-2021, 10:24   #827
zg3409
Registered User
 
zg3409's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6541 View Post
Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice. I have a 2003 VW Passat. I am not driving it at the moment so I suspended the insurance.
I have a crap camper that I am driving around with.

I am wondering am I storing up trouble for myself by suspending my car insurance as 1) Camper insurance states I must have car insurance.
2) If I do not renew my car insurance and just drive on using my old camper, will I have a no claims bonus issue.

Thanks,
6541
Yes, by the sounds of it you are technically uninsured in camper now as you have broken policy rules.
You should ask insurer how long you can suspend policy before no claims bonus is valid. When you say suspend can you restart policy with a phone call? Its very important you are covered in the event of a claim
zg3409 is offline  
22-02-2021, 12:19   #828
LARGElittle
Registered User
 
LARGElittle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 9
Some craic

I'm looking for quotes on
2004 Volvo S60 T SE
Age: 37
Male
6+ years named NCB
My own motorcycle NCB does not count for anything.


It's my fathers car, he is insured with 123 for €550 and I'm buying it off him.

Best quote: Axa via Campion €1270!
2nd: Patrona via Chill €1358
3rd: Axa direct €1450

The following would not quote online
AA Phone or online
FBD
Liberty
Its4Women
BOI
AIG
QuoteDevil phone or online
CompareInsurance
Allianz
123

I might ask pops if he can get a quote with me named and see how we go... crazy they take the year of the car but not the history of the individual vehicle.

Seems some have had luck with Liberty and 123, I will give them a call as they were unable to quote online.
LARGElittle is offline  
22-02-2021, 12:25   #829
screamer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by LARGElittle View Post
I'm looking for quotes on
2004 Volvo S60 T SE
Age: 37
Male
6+ years named NCB
My own motorcycle NCB does not count for anything.


It's my fathers car, he is insured with 123 for €550 and I'm buying it off him.

Best quote: Axa via Campion €1270!
2nd: Patrona via Chill €1358
3rd: Axa direct €1450

The following would not quote online
AA Phone or online
FBD
Liberty
Its4Women
BOI
AIG
QuoteDevil phone or online
CompareInsurance
Allianz
123

I might ask pops if he can get a quote with me named and see how we go... crazy they take the year of the car but not the history of the individual vehicle.

Seems some have had luck with Liberty and 123, I will give them a call as they were unable to quote online.
It’s because of the scammers who were buying old cars, staging accidents and claiming a fortune. Your Dad will be able to insure the car cheaper as he’s owned it for a while. But, the price for older car insurance has become crazy the past few years, it now costs more than the cars are worth in a lot of cases.
screamer is offline  
(2) thanks from:
22-02-2021, 12:36   #830
LARGElittle
Registered User
 
LARGElittle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamer View Post
It’s because of the scammers who were buying old cars, staging accidents and claiming a fortune. Your Dad will be able to insure the car cheaper as he’s owned it for a while. But, the price for older car insurance has become crazy the past few years, it now costs more than the cars are worth in a lot of cases.
Makes sense alright but such a shame, makes it hard for a lot of people.

If I was to insure in my own name it'd be much better, hopefully it'll reduce then next year, not holding out any hope for that of course!
LARGElittle is offline  
Advertisement
22-02-2021, 12:50   #831
BronsonTB
Registered User
 
BronsonTB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by LARGElittle View Post
Makes sense alright but such a shame, makes it hard for a lot of people.

If I was to insure in my own name it'd be much better, hopefully it'll reduce then next year, not holding out any hope for that of course!

That's very good quotes for first time in your own name.
I paid 1700 for my own first insurance & had a few years as a named driver.


Once you start it will get lower over the years as you build your full own NCD.
BronsonTB is offline  
(2) thanks from:
22-02-2021, 13:00   #832
zg3409
Registered User
 
zg3409's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by LARGElittle View Post
I'm looking for quotes on
2004 Volvo S60 T SE
Age: 37
Male
6+ years named NCB
My own motorcycle NCB does not count for anything.


It's my fathers car, he is insured with 123 for €550 and I'm buying it off him.

Best quote: Axa via Campion €1270!
2nd: Patrona via Chill €1358
3rd: Axa direct €1450

The following would not quote online
AA Phone or online
FBD
Liberty
Its4Women
BOI
AIG
QuoteDevil phone or online
CompareInsurance
Allianz
123

I might ask pops if he can get a quote with me named and see how we go... crazy they take the year of the car but not the history of the individual vehicle.

Seems some have had luck with Liberty and 123, I will give them a call as they were unable to quote online.
Can you/have you added a second named driver during the quote process? Often adding a partner or friend who never drives car can help.

Beware driving car regularly as a named driver. If you crash its your father's car and insurance policy and he will have a claim, not you. You also don't build up much own named driving experience.
Where will car be parked overnight? Any owners house or your house? If not at father's house might not be legit.

Do you really need this car or would another, cheaper to insure car do until you build up your own named no claims history. E.g. get a less than 10 year old small engine car or ask insurer to recommend what to buy.
It sound like you use your bike daily now, do you need a car or just something with cheap tax/insurance/low depreciation?

Did you try ring a few brokers and go through all the questions and ask for advice?
Insurers are assessing the risk of you claiming with 0 no claims bonus and a cheap/free car.
zg3409 is offline  
Thanks from:
22-02-2021, 13:17   #833
LARGElittle
Registered User
 
LARGElittle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 9
Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zg3409 View Post
Can you/have you added a second named driver during the quote process? Often adding a partner or friend who never drives car can help.

Beware driving car regularly as a named driver. If you crash its your father's car and insurance policy and he will have a claim, not you. You also don't build up much own named driving experience.

Where will car be parked overnight? Any owners house or your house? If not at father's house might not be legit.
Yes, I can add a second named driver and see if that makes a difference.

Yes again, I would not really like to use with fathers insurance and me named for those exact reasons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zg3409 View Post

Do you really need this car or would another, cheaper to insure car do until you build up your own named no claims history. E.g. get a less than 10 year old small engine car or ask insurer to recommend what to buy.
It sound like you use your bike daily now, do you need a car or just something with cheap tax/insurance/low depreciation?
I do not need this car no, it would be a nice to have that would make everything a bit easier. There may be cheaper to insure cars but I'm "buying" this car from my father - we have an arrangement that would not be possible with other private sale.

I sold my bike for financial reasons a few months ago. This car will make a fantastic difference to daily life over the next year for a variety of reasons not just daily driver, but as above, is not a necessity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zg3409 View Post

Did you try ring a few brokers and go through all the questions and ask for advice?
Yes, a few. The main advice from brokers was to go to underwriters directly, but no luck so far, its still early in the day sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by zg3409 View Post

Insurers are assessing the risk of you claiming with 0 no claims bonus and a cheap/free car.
The reason (when given) on rejections so far is solely the age of the car, not driver experience or any other factor. Easier to discuss and confirm over the phone of course but that is the feedback I am getting so far.
LARGElittle is offline  
22-02-2021, 13:21   #834
Co11ins
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 2
Car: 2000 Toyota Altezza, Japanese import.
Licence: Full
Age : 27
NCB : 9 years named driver experience.
Policy: 3rd party fire/theft, with glass cover.

€950 with FBD. Quite happy with that as these are notorious with young lads acting the clown. This is after a 15% discount on account of Macra membership.

Have been with FBD since I started driving so that stood to me.
Co11ins is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-02-2021, 14:41   #835
cplwhisper
Registered User
 
cplwhisper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by LARGElittle View Post
Thanks for the reply.



Yes, I can add a second named driver and see if that makes a difference.

Yes again, I would not really like to use with fathers insurance and me named for those exact reasons!



I do not need this car no, it would be a nice to have that would make everything a bit easier. There may be cheaper to insure cars but I'm "buying" this car from my father - we have an arrangement that would not be possible with other private sale.

I sold my bike for financial reasons a few months ago. This car will make a fantastic difference to daily life over the next year for a variety of reasons not just daily driver, but as above, is not a necessity.



Yes, a few. The main advice from brokers was to go to underwriters directly, but no luck so far, its still early in the day sure



The reason (when given) on rejections so far is solely the age of the car, not driver experience or any other factor. Easier to discuss and confirm over the phone of course but that is the feedback I am getting so far.
On the Axa quote specify the max number of years continuous you can prove.6yrs gets you 65% ncb scale, 7 = 70% and if 8 then you’ll meet max 75% scale.
Higher % = lower quote
cplwhisper is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet