Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

^^ I agree with the above.
    The way I see Brady now is like the way I used to see Favre. Both were at one time my favorite player but not playing for NE. I'm a pats fan first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

eagle eye wrote: »
    The above I believe was my only post about Brady.
    I may have had another post where I said the Patriots come first.

Selective memory! Yes, you did have a post where you said the Pats come first. But you're forgetting that in that same post, you also said:

"Two of my favourite players of all time but I'm hoping it all goes wrong in Tampa. I honestly don't want them to do well."

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113232425&postcount=3963

I think the natural reaction was to wish them well as long as it doesn't affect us. That is, not wishing them well if they're playing against us, or if they're playing a game where it benefits us for them to lose.

I can't imagine any other scenario where it feels right to wish them failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,498 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ok I obviously said that in a weak moment. It was more about Gronk than Brady. As you can see from my post which I quoted, Brady is and always will be my favourite player.

Ok I obviously said that in a weak moment. It was more about Gronk than Brady. As you can see from my post which I quoted, Brady is and always will be my favourite player.

That's fair enough. I'm being a bit of a prick harping on about it so ignore me (I'm sure many do anyway). Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I took a lot of enjoyment at Gronks success vs Kelce. I have a unfair dislike for Kelce, probably out of jealously with respect to Gronks legacy as the best TE ever. Kelce has had a great season, and had a decent game statwise but very quiet in terms of impact. Didn't feel like he took over a game the way Gronk has in the biggest moments, like the 2015 AFCCG, or SB 52

• Advertisement

I took a lot of enjoyment at Gronks success vs Kelce. I have a unfair dislike for Kelce, probably out of jealously with respect to Gronks legacy as the best TE ever. Kelce has had a great season, and had a decent game statwise but very quiet in terms of impact. Didn't feel like he took over a game the way Gronk has in the biggest moments, like the 2015 AFCCG, or SB 52

Kelce is literally only 2 weeks removed from a 13 reception, 118 yards, 2 TD game in the AFC Championship. Literally the difference between the 2 teams in a 14 point game.

31 receptions, 360 yards, 3 TDs in the playoffs this year. All big games. I don't know how they're considered good stats but not considered making an impact. Is just because they didn't win it all?

I'm very much team Gronk, but let's not be silly trying to put Kelce down.

He doesn't even compare with Gronk outside of receiving stats. Gronk is the compete tight end, run blocking and pass blocking at an extremely high level. Kittle is the closest to him.

Kelce is literally only 2 weeks removed from a 13 reception, 118 yards, 2 TD game in the AFC Championship. Literally the difference between the 2 teams in a 14 point game.

31 receptions, 360 yards, 3 TDs in the playoffs this year. All big games. I don't know how they're considered good stats but not considered making an impact. Is just because they didn't win it all?

I'm very much team Gronk, but let's not be silly trying to put Kelce down.

I wasn't meaning to come across like I was putting him down , I respect his abilities. What I meant was him pulling his team out of a hole, the way Gronk has in the past.

He doesn't even compare with Gronk outside of receiving stats. Gronk is the compete tight end, run blocking and pass blocking at an extremely high level. Kittle is the closest to him.
    Gronk is possibly the only such complete TE to ever play the game.

He's unmatched in catch in traffic, route running, boxing out DBs, along with run + pass blocking like a lineman.

He revolutionized the position and is a sure fire 1st ballot HOF when he retires for good.
    The other TEs that are upper echelon have a specialty, usually route running or catch in traffic. Gronk does everything to an unmatched level and has no one specialty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

ELM327 wrote: »

He's unmatched in catch in traffic, route running, boxing out DBs, along with run + pass blocking like a lineman.

He revolutionized the position and is a sure fire 1st ballot HOF when he retires for good.
    The other TEs that are upper echelon have a specialty, usually route running or catch in traffic. Gronk does everything to an unmatched level and has no one specialty.

I'd agree on Kittle though, he has ridiculous pass catching ability and unlike Kelce can be seen pancaking on run plays on a regular basis.
    If he can stay healthy, Kittle is the one you have to watch out for entering the argument for the most complete TE.

• Advertisement

I wonder if we'll go for a FA TE this year? I'm hoping we get a shot at Pitts, not a college watcher but I've heard great things.

ELM327 wrote: »

Jason Witten is up there with Gronk all time, not as good at receiving but did all the other bits to a very high level.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

I wonder if we'll go for a FA TE this year? I'm hoping we get a shot at Pitts, not a college watcher but I've heard great things.

Hunter Henry would be the one to go for, durability would be a slight concern but he's excellent. Hopefully the 2 rooks can start to be involved more going forward.
    Pitts is a monster of a receiving TE doesn't have the all round game of Gronk but he'll be a mismatch for whoever picks him and give a QB an out like Kelce does.

If the TE is a receiving threat, they dont need to be an amazing run blocker to do well enough.
    The problem we've had since Gronk left is that defenses know "TE = run play" because our guys dont catch balls.
    As soon as you have a player in there who might block but have to account for in coverage, it makes the D less aggressive against the run when they see him in.

A tight end can be in for pass block as well.

A tight end can be in for pass block as well.

True, but the point still stands that when you don't have to worry about a TE being a real receiving threat, you can attack downhill harder and focus your coverage on the other threats on the field.
    If you're not going to use a TE as a valid receiving target, you may as well play a 6th lineman.

You can make space in the run game either by having enough blockers to pickup all the defenders in the box, or enough threat outside to pull defenders out of the box.
    Without a threat at TE the defence can just load the box when they're in the game and know they wont be talented enough to make trouble on a passing play.

It's not really that simple. A tight end can be in to pass block, open a hole at the line or run down the field to block at the second level. He can also be a receiving option even if he's not that great at it, leave him wide open and he'll catch a ball.

It's not really that simple. A tight end can be in to pass block, open a hole at the line or run down the field to block at the second level. He can also be a receiving option even if he's not that great at it, leave him wide open and he'll catch a ball.

Knowing that the guy opposite you isn't going to be a big risk to get past you means you can focus more on what's in front of you and play downhill.

As an outside Linebacker generally if you are covering a TE at the snap you want to hit them, regardless of whether you're in man or covering an underneath zone, you're going to hit that TE as soon as he comes close to you.
    If the guy you're covering cant really run routes well and isn't athletic enough to shrug off the contact, you can afford to hit him a lot harder.
    Likewise if you're outside, generally your first read would be the release of your man followed by a read inside to check on the backfield. Again if you know that the guys opposite isn't athletic and a good route runner, you can cheat and read the backfield first because you know you can adjust and pick him up later if needs be, he's not getting away from you.

If you put in a decent receiver in the same position, you have to play more honestly off the snap. Even if he wont be a great blocker in the run game, he'll slow down the run read.

Edit to add - the same can be said for a pure receiver. If I don't consider you a threat in the run game, I'm gonna read your release on the snap every time and blow right through you when I see a run release.
    You dont need to be a Gronk - great at both, but as long as you're decent at one and good at the other I'll have a tougher time because it keeps my read honest.

My preference between the two though would be the pure receiving threat, because they help in the pass game and at least keep that primary read off the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Cannon, Chung and Hightower all coming back for the 2021 season.

Hopefully the likes of Hightower will.have benefitted from.the season off and the body getting a break at least.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Kyle Van Noy back in the FA market.
    Would be a great signing if we could get him on a cap friendly contract...

• Advertisement

Van Noy and that recently released TE could both be in NE , especially if I had my way!

looks like there's going to be a glut of talent hitting FA next week...

Saints $60m over
    Eagles $40m over ($40m dead)
    Rams $28m over ($34m dead)
    Chiefs $19m over
    Falcons $15m over ($11m dead)

A lot of restructuring has already been done, particularly at the Saints, the only way these teams will get themselves under the cap is to start cutting some decent players next week.

I think we're going to see a big reshuffling of teams this year with some teams purging rosters, and others moving guys around to make space for a FA target.

Cant wait to see all the big name signings that other teams will be doing while Bill signs 10 guys we've never heard of...

So the FA activity has begun...

We've picked up Trent Brown on a decent deal, so our O-Line should be in good shape.
    Trade interest for Harry (wouldn't be sad to get some value for him and move on)

Van Noy, Emmanuel Sanders, John Brown I think will be of interest to Bill and would be good pickups imo.
    Having Hightower & Kyle back would go a long way towards solidifying our front 7, really just needing some help at DT to sure up the D then.

Brown can stretch the field and Sanders is getting up in age but can still make space for himself and act as a good safety valve for a QB.
    Bill is very familiar with all these guys, he always seems to prefer to bring in known-quantities over young talent.

The question is if we are in rebuild mode or going for it.
    If we want to go for it we are in a very strong position with all the decent FA's out there and most teams with no cap space, we could get short term deals with a lot of great players.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,363 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The question is if we are in rebuild mode or going for it.
    If we want to go for it we are in a very strong position with all the decent FA's out there and most teams with no cap space, we could get short term deals with a lot of great players.

Exactly, no point in spending money on FA wide receivers if we don't have a QB

I don't think we need a full rebuild though.
    QB, WR, DL, LB are the areas we need to address, I think we're only 4-5 good players away from being back in contention.

We don't need to break the bank on big names, I reckon FA contracts will be lighter this year than any other due to the number of teams struggling for space.

Sanders and Brown are both up there in age, not going to pay big bucks on longterm deals there. If we could sign both of them for $12m a year, we'd still have space to sign a few rookies to develop along side them for the next year or two with an instant upgrade on our current corps.

Signing Van Noy + a DT will put us back to having a serious D to work with.

OL, DB's and RB's are good enough going into next season IMO.

Then it would come down to who's going to be at QB....

BizzyC wrote: »
    I don't think we need a full rebuild though.
    QB, WR, DL, LB are the areas we need to address, I think we're only 4-5 good players away from being back in contention.

We don't need to break the bank on big names, I reckon FA contracts will be lighter this year than any other due to the number of teams struggling for space.

Sanders and Brown are both up there in age, not going to pay big bucks on longterm deals there. If we could sign both of them for $12m a year, we'd still have space to sign a few rookies to develop along side them for the next year or two with an instant upgrade on our current corps.

Signing Van Noy + a DT will put us back to having a serious D to work with.

OL, DB's and RB's are good enough going into next season IMO.

Then it would come down to who's going to be at QB....
    So basically a whole team of skilled players., except for the CB/Safeties.

Part of me wants to see Fitzmagic take the wheels on a run first offence and ride Harris and Michel all the way to the playoffs.

Part of me wants to see Fitzmagic take the wheels on a run first offence and ride Harris and Michel all the way to the playoffs.
    I agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

I think every nfl fan wants to see this. Great character fitzmagic and deserves a decent shot

Advertisement