Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

Its a good job he's not on social media!! Because of his health, it's the way it is! I'm all for Jimmy playing on but his health is a huge issue...that includes the New England starts he had. This will be the Niners off season until things are officially confirmed with QB...even though the team has issues equally as big (secondary, possible OL).

myate wrote: »
    Its a good job he's not on social media!! Because of his health, it's the way it is! I'm all for Jimmy playing on but his health is a huge issue...that includes the New England starts he had. This will be the Niners off season until things are officially confirmed with QB...even though the team has issues equally as big (secondary, possible OL).

I'm perfectly happy keeping him if the other options become too expensive to acquire.

Last year showed enough to me to say he is good enough to lead us to a Super Bowl but the margin is just too fine, basically everything else has to go right for it to happen whereas with elite QBs you have a much bigger margin of error.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Johnrazz

Watching ESPN all this week a lot (off work a few days) and Dan Orlovsky who’s played at the Lions with Stafford and is a very good friend of his is pushing the Stafford to SF narrative on every show he’s on.

I get the feeling he knows something is brewing with a trade to the Bay Area.

Johnrazz wrote: »
    Watching ESPN all this week a lot (off work a few days) and Dan Orlovsky who’s played at the Lions with Stafford and is a very good friend of his is pushing the Stafford to SF narrative on every show he’s on.

I get the feeling he knows something is brewing with a trade to the Bay Area.

Didn't know of that close relationship.

Vegas is matching that belief, him ending up with the 49ers has gone from +500 when him moving on was announced down to +250 favourites today.

Lots of chatter from the 49ers beat writers also that they are front runners, especially from ones down at the Senior Bowl.

• Advertisement

If going by past deals with Lynch & co, the first we'll hear of any deal will be when he (whoever that is) is signed. Nothing comes out of Santa Clara anymore until things are done.

If going by past deals with Lynch & co, the first we'll hear of any deal will be when he (whoever that is) is signed. Nothing comes out of Santa Clara anymore until things are done.

Agreed on the Santa Clara side but there could easily be leaks on Lions and Stafford end.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

They should give them a take it or leave it offer for the 12 overall, nothing more than that.

adrian522 wrote: »
    They should give them a take it or leave it offer for the 12 overall, nothing more than that.

A rumours yesterday from a beat writer that they are trying keep it to a future 1st and a day 2 pick this year. Totally unsubstantiated but the guy has seemed to be in front of the story so far.

If they could keep pick 12 then it would be amazing - either get a top tier talent or trade down and get back a the pick we gave up.

It'll really depend on how small the market is for Stafford - between interested teams and whether the Lions allow him to narrow down that group even more.

Agree with you though - 12th pick should be the ceiling I'd be comfortable with (though late rounders are basically lottery picks so I wouldn't be too upset if something is thrown in to get it over the line).

Also apparently, only 10 teams interested or asked the Lions about him...again this report comes from someone who says there was so little interest, the Lions leaked that 1/3 of all teams asked about him! A third of teams sounds better than 10 teams! But yeah, he's the 12 pick & nothing else, not even Jimmy...trade him for something else...do Belichick a favour like he did when we got JG.
    Now Watson, 3 firsts, maybe a 2nd & Jimmy...do it! Game changer for 10+ years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭letowski

From following Colts media, it seems 49ers are in advanced talks and it’s more or less a done deal. That’s what the beat reporters are saying theyre overhearing at the Senior Bowl anyway. Vegas have slashed the 49ers odds to evens now, the heavy favourite to land Stafford.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Surely the Lions have no incentive to get a deal done now unless its a godfather type deal that no one else will be able to match. Better for them to drag it out and generate an bidding war.

Also 10 teams is quite a lot of teams to be interested I would have thought.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Surely the Lions have no incentive to get a deal done now unless its a godfather type deal that no one else will be able to match. Better for them to drag it out and generate an bidding war.

Yeah 10 seems like a lot :/

Maybe they are concerned that the Watson bidding war takes everyone's attention.

I'd also think they'd be in no rush so they could maximise their value but rumours are that their new GM wants it done ASAP.

There are some reasons why that quick approach might make some sense - there is an around $10m workout bonus they need to pay Stafford in March if he isn't moved and they may not want to risk getting squeezed if the market doesn't suddenly materialise. Bigger thing I'd guess is that they don't want Stafford rumours and talk hanging over them for their first few months in the job and the Fords might support that to do the right thing by Stafford.

I think there is a decent chance the 10 teams are just the number that reached out - many mightn't have that much of an interest but it doesn't hurt them to check in incase he was going extremely cheap and to be able to judge other trade value against what the Lions are looking for. Then out of the those that are really serious, Stafford might only want to go to an even smaller number of them - as it is clear the Lions are trying to do the right thing for him. I think it is very likely the real market for him is quite small.

Hard to know how to feel about that trade, very happy the 49ers didn't pay that asking price for Stafford but far from delighted he'll be in our division, even if I think there is a good chance the Rams house of cards falls over at some point soon.

With our pick in the draft and location we were in the driving seat for Stafford but when a sucker comes into an auction it is better to take a step back. If we are going to go in with some huge package I'd much rather it be for Watson or a package to trade up for a young QB that Kyle likes.

I think with Stafford out of the loop now it is pretty unlikely there is a different QB starting game 1 that isn't Jimmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭letowski

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Hard to know how to feel about that trade, very happy the 49ers didn't pay that asking price for Stafford but far from delighted he'll be in our division, even if I think there is a good chance the Rams house of cards falls over at some point soon.

With our pick in the draft and location we were in the driving seat for Stafford but when a sucker comes into an auction it is better to take a step back. If we are going to go in with some huge package I'd much rather it be for Watson or a package to trade up for a young QB that Kyle likes.

I think with Stafford out of the loop now it is pretty unlikely there is a different QB starting game 1 that isn't Jimmy.

All the rumours on social media were that the 49ers were not letting go of the 12th overall pick. Be interesting to see what ye do in late April with it.

letowski wrote: »
    All the rumours on social media were that the 49ers were not letting go of the 12th overall pick. Be interesting to see what ye do in late April with it.

It is really hard to know what they'll do. Looking into Brady last year and now the trade discussions this year show that they are definitely open to improving at QB (along with them stating the same in interviews) but unlike a lot of teams in the hunt for a QB they're in an enviable position of having a decent one under contract. A lot should be told from whether they restructure Jimmy's contract before or during FA - though they have basically picked the wrong guys to restructure every time over the last few years...

If they don't move up for a QB that 12th pick should get top 8 non QB talent, given 4 should be gone before that point, likely the best guy should still be available in some positions. Can very much understand why they didn't want to give that up for Stafford, especially if the Lions wanted other picks on top.

I don't think Stafford is worth what the Rams paid. Happy enough that the 49ers seemed to set a price they were happy to pay and walk away if someone else outbids them.

The Rams now have a QB upgrade but no way of improving the rest of their roster so are betting that Stafford elevates them to contenders with the current weapons available. That's not a bet I'd like to make.

The Rams now have $30m in dead money on Goff and Gurley. They also have no draft picks this year outside of whatever comp picks they get and their late 2nd round pick. They are also over the cap right now so need to do some restructuring.

Rumour was Niners offered 2 2nds & 2 3rds. Let the Rams have him...one of those no.1's is for Goffs contract...they really wanted him gone!
    I do wonder is there anybody that has Lynch's or Kyle's ear (Chris Simms maybe!) that is saying 'Can you imagine Watson in your offence'!! Every network pundit, ex-player, ex-coach is saying that.
    Still happy if we give 3 1sts, maybe either a couple of 3rd's or half decent d player(s)...like a Greenlaw/Moore or someone and see if that would get Watson. Otherwise, roll with Jimmy, restructure his contract then wait for the rest of the offseason...long way til September! Build OL and protect him, and grab a QB in the 2nd round. Go from there!

Pretty accurate aside from leaving out the draft prospects.

https://twitter.com/TheSFNiners/status/1356308332848373760?s=20

• Advertisement

Rumour was Niners offered 2 2nds & 2 3rds. Let the Rams have him...one of those no.1's is for Goffs contract...they really wanted him gone!
    I do wonder is there anybody that has Lynch's or Kyle's ear (Chris Simms maybe!) that is saying 'Can you imagine Watson in your offence'!! Every network pundit, ex-player, ex-coach is saying that.
    Still happy if we give 3 1sts, maybe either a couple of 3rd's or half decent d player(s)...like a Greenlaw/Moore or someone and see if that would get Watson. Otherwise, roll with Jimmy, restructure his contract then wait for the rest of the offseason...long way til September! Build OL and protect him, and grab a QB in the 2nd round. Go from there!

I wouldn't like to pick up a QB in the 2nd - the talent drop off is huge after the top 4 and then even larger after Jones and Trask. So far I'm not a fan of Trask and I doubt any of the others fall to us in the 2nd, though maybe a trade up for Jones late in the first.

If they aren't going for a QB early I'd prefer for them to get a veteran who will come in cheap on a one year deal and has potential upside working in the Shanahan system. If they show up well and beat Jimmy out then they get extended and Jimmy can be cut the following offseason.

I don't think they will have the cap space to drop 7 or 8 million on a backup so if it is a veteran it's unlikely to be anyone who will be beating out Garoppolo in training camp.

https://overthecap.com/free-agency/

Those are the pending free agents and what they were getting on their most recent contract.

For reference Beathard and Mullens combined for less than $2m against the cap last season.

I don't think they will have the cap space to drop 7 or 8 million on a backup so if it is a veteran it's unlikely to be anyone who will be beating out Garoppolo in training camp.

https://overthecap.com/free-agency/

Those are the pending free agents and what they were getting on their most recent contract.

For reference Beathard and Mullens combined for less than $2m against the cap last season.

When I said cheap, I mean properly cheap. I'm talking the Winston deal for $1.1m, Cam getting $1.75m, or even Dalton getting $3m.

Take someone like Trubisky. He is at a crossroads in the career - if he doesn't return to a fanbase where a decent chunk hate him, he'll likely face the option of being a bridge QB on a poor team or being a backup. He might get more money with the former but if he wants to be a starter again long term it is likely much better for him to spend a year as a backup on a team likely in contention, with a top tier OC, behind an average enough QB with a long recent injury history.

Now whether he could beat out Jimmy is a completely different story but I'd feel more comfortable with a strong cheap vet stepping in if Jimmy gets injured than a QB that comes in outside of the 1st round

Richberg redoing his deal today to free up space for the team now rather than post June 1 - when he is likely to retire. Between that and Up to around $30m in cap space now before doing anything with Ford (redoing or cutting) or Jimmy (redoing, cutting, or trading).

Between the early draft pick and cap space the team is pretty well set up for the offseason, despite the decent number of FAs. Trent Williams made positive noises in an interview this week about re-signing with the team but if that doesn't work out they should be in the position to get a top 3 OT at 12, similarly if they fail on filling back out the CB group they should be able to get one of the top 2 CBs in the draft. If they get both of those main needs sorted then it'll give them full flexibility on draft night.

Big ongoing question is QB - the team has really left everyone guessing, it will be interesting to see if we get more hints with the likes of redoing Jimmy's contract or trade. I don't think any backup signing will change things. If nothing happens, rumours will run into the draft.

Juice re-signed last night. Waiting for the contract structure before passing judgement - he is worth being by far the highest paid FB but hopefully they haven't gone too crazy. Rumour that his guaranteed money is only $10m which means even if it is poor they have an out (presuming most of that is signing bonus or year 2).

Seems like Lynch and Jed (maybe Kyle) got hammered on Saturday night based on their tweets and comments since.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Juice re-signed last night. Waiting for the contract structure before passing judgement - he is worth being by far the highest paid FB but hopefully they haven't gone too crazy. Rumour that his guaranteed money is only $10m which means even if it is poor they have an out (presuming most of that is signing bonus or year 2).

Seems like Lynch and Jed (maybe Kyle) got hammered on Saturday night based on their tweets and comments since.

Agree. Highest FB but as an 'offensive weapon' I havent been blown away fo hopefully its team friendly.

What was on twitter?

Agree. Highest FB but as an 'offensive weapon' I havent been blown away fo hopefully its team friendly.

What was on twitter?

Juice should be compared to TE salaries for what he does and then his previous deal is fine (we'll see about this one).

On Saturday night Jed and Lynch put up posts that were a bit out of character - Lynch about 'being thirsty and wanting Juice' and Jed being sappy about loving life and mentioning his wife, Lynch, and #kyle. People initially thought they were hacked but then Jed posted this yesterday which seems to point to them being drunk and dialing Juice.

https://twitter.com/JedYork/status/1371280270473662467?s=20

https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/1371510415901999104

Very low Cap hit this year, also only really 2 years after which they can get out cheaply if needed.

https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/1371529534852497412

Verett back too on a one year deal, good move assuming they haven't gone nuts on the contract.

Edit: 1 year @ 5.5mil apprently.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/1371529534852497412

Verett back too on a one year deal, good move assuming they haven't gone nuts on the contract.

Edit: 1 year @ 5.5mil apprently.

That is a steal if he plays to the level he did last year and not a killer if he gets injured.

He'll be very extensive the following year if he stays healthy and performs but the team will likely draft a few CBs. One will hopefully step up and then at worst get a decent comp pick.

Great business so far but a lot is hinging on Trent. Not enjoying this wait, I hoped he'd be just hitting it to say he did - very worries the California tax is going to make it even harder the more time that passes.

Advertisement