Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcoholism

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Drinking heavily/getting drunk on front of your children should be a criminal offence in my opinion.

These things have a life long psychological impact and can destroy that child's adult life. It certainly changes the person that they should be if they had grown up in a normal household.

Personally, I think there is way to little focus on this.

LOL

In fairness to your point, i don't think it's right that any parent should be drunk or in the process of getting drunk in front of young kids.

It's all too common that section 34's are handed out in this country for this very reason

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Drinking heavily/getting drunk on front of your children should be a criminal offence in my opinion.

These things have a life long psychological impact and can destroy that child's adult life. It certainly changes the person that they should be if they had grown up in a normal household.

Personally, I think there is way to little focus on this.

The first problem with that is how do you catch someone who does it at home?

And where do you draw the line? Do you do the same thing with smokers? I've had serious weight problems in the past do you do it with people who are obese or have an unhealthy relationship with food?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

The first problem with that is how do you catch someone who does it at home?

And where do you draw the line? Do you do the same thing with smokers? I've had serious weight problems in the past do you do it with people who are obese or have an unhealthy relationship with food?

Where do you draw the line? Are you effin serious?
    I’ve never seen a child cry in fear because their parent is having an obese moment. But I HAVE seen a child almost physically sick with fear because of a drunk parent. If you had you wouldn’t be so flippant about it.
    It’s ridiculous to compare the two.

Oink wrote: »
    I’ve never seen a child cry in fear because their parent is having an obese moment. But I HAVE seen a child almost physically sick with fear because of a drunk parent. If you had you wouldn’t be so flippant about it.

I doubt the poster meant any harm in their post but in all serousness the majority of this country are not aware of some of the things that go on in some households with regards child abuse because of alcohol

Some of the stories would make you feel physically sick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Wouldn't life be wonderful if everything was so simple?

As if you are going to wake up one day with some will power and self control that will magically make your alcoholism disappear. Forget the fact that addiction is usually far more complex than this.

If this were the case then nobody in life would ever have any problems ever. They'd just gain some self control and their problems would just vanish. Sounds like nonsense to me.

Woosh :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

I doubt the poster meant any harm in their post but in all serousness the majority of this country are not aware of some of the things that go on in some households with regards child abuse because of alcohol

Some of the stories would make you feel physically sick

The person I'm talking to would not be in any way abusive to their children after drink. They would talk drunken ****e and get and be all lovey dovey with them alright. Not abuse but definitely not a good example to set for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Usual internet wanker....hope you get lots of thanks to make youfeel beter about your sad life

The main problem with alcoholics is their inevitable trait of being an utter sh|t to everyone unfortunate enough to be around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Oink wrote: »

I was that child for all my childhood. Used to go into school so tired as I would have been up as late as 1am/2am waiting for an alcoholic parent to come home scared that they would hurt themselves or someone else as they drove. My anxiety at the time was through the roof as a kid.

Straight to the pub after work most evenings and I would hear the car coming down the road and wait for the inevitable smash into the tree. One night the car even went under a truck. Luckily they survived but didn't learn.

When I got big enough as a teen I lost the plot and put my father up against the wall over it.

It was absolutely terrifying. A very tough way to grow up.

Mango Joe wrote: »
    The main problem with alcoholics is their inevitable trait of being an utter sh|t to everyone unfortunate enough to be around them.

You're way off the mark.

Alcoholics have their own agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,949 ✭✭✭✭bnt

An alcoholic is someone who can’t not drink. It doesn’t matter how you rationalise it e.g. I’ve heard “I only need it to help me sleep” from a friend. He can’t remember when he last tried sleeping without drinks first.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12 Fog Hat

bnt wrote: »
    An alcoholic is someone who can’t not drink. It doesn’t matter how you rationalise it e.g. I’ve heard “I only need it to help me sleep” from a friend. He can’t remember when he last tried sleeping without drinks first.

With my friend it's 'once I find a good woman I'll stop'. Why doesn't he just stop now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Fog Hat wrote: »
    With my friend it's 'once I find a good woman I'll stop'. Why doesn't he just stop now?

It's probably the reason he can't find a good woman. He might if he stops, eats healthy and does some exercise and becomes more positive.

• Site Banned Posts: 12 Fog Hat

It's probably the reason he can't find a good woman. He might if he stops, eats healthy and does some exercise and becomes more positive.

His logic is, if he finds a woman he'll have to stop drinking in order to keep her around.

F*cking rummy. I use to feel sorry for him, now I'm just starting to hate him for his selfishness and stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    What makes someone an alcoholic?
    Medics tell me actual alcoholics are those who bury bottles of vodka in the back garden because they are in denial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

As someone who has had alcohol issues in the past and also worked in the industry for a long time my own opinion is an alcoholic is somebody who needs a drink to feel normal as opposed to someone who likes to enjoy booze even if it's overboard sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

Open the pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

If your posting on the internet to solicit opinions your consciously worried about it. This is a good step.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bnt wrote: »
    An alcoholic is someone who can’t not drink.
    Technically true as going cold turkey when your body is used to coping with lots of ethanol can be very bad.

Advertisement