Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryan Garcia v Luke Campbell Fight Thread

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭megadodge

Well, first things first, the next time Garcia fights, I'll go out of my way to watch. This guy is seriously entertaining! Terrific speed, a real aggressive attitude, very hard puncher and most of all - he's there to be hit.

He may end up being a cross between Arturo Gatti and Nigel Benn (not a bad thing from a boxing fan's point of view), all out action, but will be dropped and hurt, but he definitely seems to have the heart and desire to come back from adversity. I wouldn't back him against Davis or Lopez and who knows with Haney, but one thing for sure, you won't be able to keep your eyes off the screen during those fights.

The commentary, on the other hand, was hard to listen to. Any time Garcia even threw punches they were creaming themselves despite the vast majority of them being blocked, meanwhile lots of good punches from Campbell were being completely ignored. It was a closely fought fight, even though Garcia always looked on top, but the commentators will probably be put on mute the next time I tune in.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Enjoyable enough fight

As usual, with many fights, power the real difference here....

Garcia has some, Luke does not....and it dictated the flow of the action...

Apart from the flash KD in rd 2, that Garcia shook off very quickly, Luke couldn't hurt or deter Garcia.....but, Garcia was hurting and dominating Campbell with his landed shots....

Other than rd 2, Campbell did not win a round.....he just is not a good pro....he has very little to offer, other than being a southpaw with height.

Garcia has good power, fast hands, and nice variation....He also has size and reach and height at 135 lbs. He is far from the finished article, but he will make for enjoyable fights at 135...

I do like his straight 1-2, and his lead left hook straight right hand. Reminds me a little of Floyd in this regard.

Haney is a good match....not a big hitter, and a little smaller than Garcia...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Garcia did well to come back from that knock down. He was in charge of the fight and won every round after it. I think while he has a lot of skill, he is in danger of being knocked out by a bigger puncher than Campbell if he gets caught like that again .

I felt a bit sorry for Campbell afterwards. It's hard too see where he goes from here.

ASOT wrote: »
    If Garcia has any sense at all he will stay away from Tank as long as possible.

Not seeing this..

I like Tank, but he’s a very small LW, and if a blown up FW like Leo can go several rds and hold his own, I think a far bigger and heavier handed Garcia can at least make it interesting..

Who has tank beaten at LW that was both quite good and a decent size?

Garcia is 3-4 inches taller, can punch, and would likely have a fair few lbs on him in the ring..

Tank is a SFW..Garcia is a good sized LW..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Entertaining fight, Garcia dominated, Campbell was a little too timid but attacked the body well that of course was overlooked along with the knockdown as DAZN creamed themselves for the "future of boxing"

From the outset it was clear the card was all about "KINGRY"

The celebration was like he became the undisputed champ of the world, harping on calling him the next big thing is also disrespectful when the LW division champs are all under 25

One thing I do agree with is Garcia being the money fight, he has amassed a big social media following and with 99% of boxers its money over legacy so they will all be biting at the bit to get at him, the excuse they will use is "doing it for boxing" but we know what the goal is, Garcia will be the A-side

From a boxing standpoint he does have decent attributes, his hand speed is super at times 5 were thrown before Luke adjusted we have also seen how he handles a knockdown, he went straight on the offensive which I think put luke back a bit as he wasn't expecting it

I feel Garcia wouldn't get that time if tank put him on his arse, for me if that does happen it will be over within the next 30 seconds, but although the feet weren't great he does have the reach height and power to keep tank on the outside.

P.S wouldn't surprise me if Sergio Mora had Garcia up 10-9 in the second haha! that lad must have got a pre fight warning to mention Garcia and ODLH at least 10 times a round or he will be sacked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Butson

Commentary was poor alright from Mora, but really how different is it from Adam Smith / Tony Bellew on Sky. Just delivered with a bit more drama as is the American way.

Garcia is very beatable as stands too upright and head movement is poor, but he is still young, has power and has probably the best trainer in the world right now, plus Canelo.
    Doesn't matter too much in this part of the world, but this is big for boxing in America now, which I think is slowly dragging itself up off the floor.

Butson wrote: »
    Commentary was poor alright from Mora, but really how different is it from Adam Smith / Tony Bellew on Sky. Just delivered with a bit more drama as is the American way.

Yes, I was thinking the same

Commentary was no worse than some others....

fitzparker wrote: »

P.S wouldn't surprise me if Sergio Mora had Garcia up 10-9 in the second haha! that lad must have got a pre fight warning to mention Garcia and ODLH at least 10 times a round or he will be sacked

Well, other than the KD, Garcia well won the round....

Advertisement