Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Victory for the little man - Supermacs v McDonalds

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

AMKC wrote: »
    deducts money from their employees for their uniform

Tesco is worse. In Tesco the staff have to buy there own uniforms.

in Ryan’s air you have to pay 3000 “to get trained”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

At least the food in Supermacs looks and tastes real, unlike the cardboard feeling and taste of McDonalds.

The only problem I have with Supermacs is their Garlic Cheese Chips. A tiny tray with a load of grated cheese just dumped on top. WTF is up with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Bon Iver worked there for a while when he lived in Galway apparently (prior to being famous).

Snackbox Love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Legend has it the further a Supermacs is from Galway, the ****tier the food is.
    There's just one in the centre of Cork and it's riddled. Only very specific members of society appear to partake.

The rest are either petrol stations or there's one in a business/retail park which might be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Am I missing the joke here?
    :D

2:44 near the end:

https://youtu.be/LX99tUMAhtI

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

sxt wrote: »
    Supermacs chips taste like chips I.e potatoes

McDonald's chips taste like over oiled saturated, rehydrated potatoes leftovers , with added salt, and beef flavoring. They have 17 ingredients in their fries ffs

For some reason McDonnald's chips give me awful heartburn. I don't know what it is about them but I avoid like the plague. I didn't realise they had 17 ingredients. It might explain it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Wow, it's like David versus Goliath, only this time... David won!
    PMan wrote: »
    Am I missing the joke here?

Homer Simpson quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

EdgeCase wrote: »
    For some reason McDonnald's chips give me awful heartburn. I don't know what it is about them but I avoid like the plague. I didn't realise they had 17 ingredients. It might explain it!

They're not worthy of the name 'chip', theyre reconstituted potato starch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Tried Supermacs once at O'Connell's, years ago, and never again... thought the food was absolute muck. Their chips was beyond mediocre, and the burger subpar... :/

Thankfully there's a Burger King right beside! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Wouldn't work in either place, on minimum wage and having to put up with dogs abuse at the weekend from people tanked up on beer at 2am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I worked in a Supermacs in college. You'd be working from 6pm to 4:30am and you'd get a 30 minute break and a 15 minute break - both unpaid. Same would apply for 8am to 6pm.

I remember having the weekly deduction for uniforms.

Conditions were pretty poor overall - eventually premium payments for Sunday and Bank Holidays came in.

You don't get paid for lunch time in office jobs either.

Had to pay for my uniforms in the 80s so not new

I worked in a bar that did food and there was no discount or free food for staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

On a similar note didn't O'Neills sportswear win a case against Adidas once?

A Passing off offence on the three stripe design.

Hard to believe Adidas lost that tbh.

That case confirmed O'Neills could use three stripes on sportswear in Ireland, as they had been putting stripes on their stuff long before Adidas were around.

However, you will only find O'Neills clothing with three stripes within Ireland. International GAA teams all have 2 stripes on their jerseys, for example. Adidas still holds the trademark for 3 stripes outside of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Disgusting slop. Either way this would only have been a victory for peddlers of fried animal effluent. Fast food restaurant owners are merchants of death, laughing as they piss in the trough and us obsequiously thanking them for the pleasure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Disgusting slop. Either way this would only have been a victory for peddlers of fried animal effluent. Fast food restaurant owners are merchants of death, laughing as they piss in the trough and us obsequiously thanking them for the pleasure.

Would you like fries with that bad attitude?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Would you like fries with that bad attitude?
    I don't eat that ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

I wondered when Supermacs were going to get a move on and expand outside of Ireland and into Europe, the UK would be an easy sell with the nostalgic expat market alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭tomoliver

I wondered when Supermacs were going to get a move on and expand outside of Ireland and into Europe, the UK would be an easy sell with the nostalgic expat market alone.

Might not be that great over there

Surely he'd have gone to UK by now if he wanted to

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Wasn't there talks of them opening in Australia for the same reason. Or maybe they already have :confused:

I suppose other than the UK, somewhere like Spain would be a good place for supermacs to go on account of the number of Irish who go there on holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

elefant wrote: »
    That case confirmed O'Neills could use three stripes on sportswear in Ireland, as they had been putting stripes on their stuff long before Adidas were around.

However, you will only find O'Neills clothing with three stripes within Ireland. International GAA teams all have 2 stripes on their jerseys, for example. Adidas still holds the trademark for 3 stripes outside of Ireland.

Thanks for that elefant, I wasn't sure of the full facts of the case.

I remember shortly afterwards Adidas attempted to get involved in the GAA market, they provided the Kerry inter county kit for a couple of seasons.

I wonder was this just to spite O'Neills. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭tomoliver

Who's the cheapest and best for burger and chips

McDonald's don't seem to do curry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

If there were copyright issues with the Supermacs name why do they have branches in the North as they have one in Derry. Also if they want to have an international presence first maybe grow their presence in Dublin they don't have any restaurants in any of the major Dublin shopping centres for example such as Dundrum, Blanch, Tallaght, Liffey Valley or Pavillions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Stephen15 wrote: »
    If there were copyright issues with the Supermacs name why do they have branches in the North as they have one in Derry. Also if they want to have an international presence first maybe grow their presence in Dublin they don't have any restaurants in any of the major Dublin shopping centres for example such as Dundrum, Blanch, Tallaght, Liffey Valley or Pavillions.

Those branches/franchises probably opened up before McDonald’s registration of trademarks or maybe McDonald’s feared backlash/boycott from nationalists if they had tried to prevent an expansion of Supermacs outlet in Northern Ireland.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

How can someone eats supermacs every day.

Those branches/franchises probably opened up before McDonald’s registration of trademarks or maybe McDonald’s feared backlash/boycott from nationalists if they had tried to prevent an expansion of Supermacs outlet in Northern Ireland.
    They probably don't know it exists!

Advertisement