Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey's beliefs of Travellers' ethnicity Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Unique language and religious customs I would say are the main things.

That would make Gaeilgeoirhi their own ethnic group surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Dear O, if you are the second highest contributor to that thread of 10,000 posts and you need to be told what it is travellers believe makes them travellers then I am sorry, I have no inclination to help you.

Takes kids out of school before age 15? Check.

Marries kids off to cousins or second cousins while still in their teens? Check

High probability of having a criminal record or having spent time in prison? Check

High probability of having perpetrated or experienced domestic abuse? Check

High probability of having no job and claiming social welfare, yet having unexplained sources of wealth when it comes to new vehicles, lavish wedding and First Communion celebrations, etc? Check

History of violence / feuding / bare-knuckle fights with other Traveller families? Check

Noted disregard for property, the environment, and animal welfare? Check

Like it or not, the above are what make Travellers into Travellers in the eyes of the public. It has little or nothing to do with their ethnicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

What are Travellers unique religious customs compared to other Catholics? They attend the same masses as everyone else.

Do you know any other people that burn the homes of the deceased? They have customs around mourning and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,740 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Panch18 wrote: »
    Actually it’s seems that you can’t list anything - despite being repeatedly asked to do so you avoid answering what is requested of you

I am not here to defend SEMS. I have accepted it, after reading the documentation and listening to the arguments. I posted The Taoiseach's address to the House and other info on it before.

If you object to it, knock yourself out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Unique language and religious customs I would say are the main things.

They are catholic’s - the same as 80 or 90% of the population of this country

As for separate language it’s a blend of Irish and English - a mashup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyway it will probably be a good thing in hindsight he didn’t win as President cause its going to be much more valuable to the country having him as Taoiseach.

Drink every time Francie says SEMS.

fin12 wrote: »
    No he didn’t, he topped the polls in Rathkeale, Askeaton, and a few others, what r u talking about???

Do you know what a 'constituency' is? :rolleyes:

Do you know what a 'constituency' is? :rolleyes:

Do you know what the definition of a Traveller is? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

listermint wrote: »
    Why bother.

If it's not obvious to you that its usually angry people angry about something that are the loudest then I suggest getting a job in a customer service department for a week.

Everyone else is just out there living their lives beside their neighbours just getting on with it. Not being angry all the time.

That's the exhausted middle. Not the 6 percent of twitter ranters

Isnt the bit bolded in your post the whole point of the thread, everyone except the travellers are just living their lives beside their neighbours and getting on with it. They arent moaning about discrimination and looking for ethnic status, they are too busy working and paying bills and doing their best to get their children educated, they havent the time to be navel gazing about their ethnicity and nor do they have paid organisations like Pavee Point to indulge their whining.

• Advertisement

Do you know any other people that burn the homes of the deceased? They have customs around mourning and the like.

So what??

It’s the custom in my neighbours house to open presents on Christmas Eve but our house does it on Christmas Day - are you trying to see that my neighbour is ethnically different to me because of that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

it's quite obvious what she was talking about.

we very much have the balls to deport them. once the full procedures are exausted. direct provision may have it's faults but people going through the process need to be accommodated somewhere while they go through the process, somewhere the authorities can insure their whereabouts. + the majority of asylum seekers aren't fraudsters, they haven't been charged with, and in a court of law, found guilty of fraud.

or perhapse she is busy, out somewhere, asleep, whichever?

i'd say there is no chance. he couldn't even get elected to the presidentsy. i have a feeling this chap if he does go for politics, will be the irish version of flipflop farage. running for election but keeps being rejected.

I say there will be every chance he will be voted in especially in the counties he topped the presidential vote in. He has done very well so far.
    He didn't top the poll in a single county
    He did diddly squat so far

Omackeral wrote: »
    They were speaking about the homeless crisis. The hot topic at that time was the Travellers refusal to take the state of the art homes offered to them in Tipp. It was national news and therefore relevant. It was a natural progression from the topic which was offered by the hosts.

You were wrong O, just correct the record. He introduced travellers to the debate himself. He was NOT asked specifically about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Its easy enough to burn homes of the deceased when the taxpayer is providing these homes.
    The council built lovely bungalows in Nutgrove for travellers and one by one these houses were boarded up. I wonder were some set on fire.

Is one module of the proposed traveller culture taught in school to be in relation to deliberate arson.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

No he didn’t, he topped the polls in Rathkeale, Askeaton, and a few others, what r u talking about???

Not the point. On a constituency by constituency basis Michael D topped the poll in every single case. Casey did do well in certain local areas where there may be particular issues with travellers but overall he lagged far behind Michael D.

Do you know what the definition of a Traveller is? :rolleyes:

Yes. I would think it would be a pre-requisite of being involved in a debate about it. Don't you?

You were wrong O, just correct the record. He introduced travellers to the debate himself. He was NOT asked specifically about them.

Fair enough, I'll hold my hands up. I listened back and I was wrong. He introduced the topic. I feel it was a natural progression to the discussion though given the current affairs at the time.

Yes. I would think it would be a pre-requisite of being involved in a debate about it. Don't you?

Can you please share it? I can't honestly find it online. I see references to itinerant and nomadic but surely that doesn't apply to people in the likes of Labre Park? That would include any transient people, drifters, homeless, rough sleepers more so would it not?

Fair enough, I'll hold my hands up. I listened back and I was wrong. He introduced the topic. I feel it was a natural progression to the discussion though given the current affairs at the time.

He used the example of the Thurles travellers not taking up the free houses (1.7m cost to taxpayer) and said it was pure madness - and he is 100% correct on this

DChancer wrote: »
    He didn't top the poll in a single county
    He did diddly squat so far

He topped the polls in certain areas in County limerick. He was second in nearly every constituency, I wouldn’t call that diddly squat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Jasus give it a frickin rest will ye.
    This thread is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

That would make Gaeilgeoirhi their own ethnic group surely?

No. Irish is the official language of the state. Speaking it doesn't make you unique.

They are catholic’s - the same as 80 or 90% of the population of this country

As for separate language it’s a blend of Irish and English - a mashup

They are Catholic but they have their own customs unique to that.

And shelta may be a mix up of languages but it's still unique.

So what??

It’s the custom in my neighbours house to open presents on Christmas Eve but our house does it on Christmas Day - are you trying to see that my neighbour is ethnically different to me because of that??

No

tretorn wrote: »
    Its easy enough to burn homes of the deceased when the taxpayer is providing these homes.
    The council built lovely bungalows in Nutgrove for travellers and one by one these houses were boarded up. I wonder were some set on fire.

Is one module of the proposed traveller culture taught in school to be in relation to deliberate arson.

Just answering the question. Not defending anything.

Not the point. On a constituency by constituency basis Michael D topped the poll in every single case. Casey did do well in certain local areas where there may be particular issues with travellers but overall he lagged far behind Michael D.

And Casey was far ahead in front of all the other candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

They were speaking about the homeless crisis. The hot topic at that time was the Travellers refusal to take the state of the art homes offered to them in Tipp. It was national news and therefore relevant. It was a natural progression from the topic which was offered by the hosts.

To be honest I can't take you too seriously because an hour ago you said 'he was asked a question about the community in question'.
    He wasn't. That was a blatant untruth.

And it's not like it was just a natural progression. He went on to talk about travellers ethnic status and travellers not paying taxes etc
    It's clear to me that Casey wanted to introduce the topic of travellers into the presidential debate and he found a way of doing that.
    Don't get me wrong - it's a legitimate topic, but let's not pretend that he was just answering a question.

tretorn wrote: »

In cork on the north side of the city, they were given brand new homes, absolutely thrashed them, ripped the solar panels off the roofs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

It may or may not be legitimate. The poster said he 'was asked' specifically about the Tipp situation and SEMS. He wasn't, he introduced those subjects himself.

He didnt target travellers in some premediated bigoted racist rant.

He was discussing homelessness and people repeatedly refusing housing for ridiculous reasons, and used the Tipp Travellers as a very topical example

I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness. Can I claim ethnicity based on that? I had shared religious customs with others that are unique to the wider community. It's just the definition is a bit wishy washy is all. Not having a go at you btw, you're providing answers.

No. Irish is the official language of the state. Speaking it doesn't make you unique.

And shelta may be a mix up of languages but it's still unique.

No

Just answering the question. Not defending anything.

So catholic’s with a bit of “cant” are now a different ethnicity in Ireland??

Wtf is the world coming to

He didnt target travellers in some premediated bigoted racist rant.

He was discussing homelessness and people repeatedly refusing housing for ridiculous reasons, and used the Tipp Travellers as a very topical example

And then went onto attack SEMS.

You are entitled to your opinion on what he did, as am I.

• Advertisement

Phoebas wrote: »
    To be honest I can't take you too seriously because an hour ago you said 'he was asked a question about the community in question'.
    He wasn't. That was a blatant untruth.

I know what I said. I also said a page ago that I was misinformed and outright admitted I was wrong. It happens. I didn't fully inform myself on the interview and took the information second hand. Fancy that, someone admitting they got it wrong online. The vast majority of my posts have validity. I won't lose sleep if you won't take me seriously.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement