Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anti-vaxxers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mulbot

LorelaiG wrote: »
    These are not given until the child is over the age of 1. If there are any problems with the immune system they will be well noticed before then.

Rota virus vaccine-which is live- is given very early(2 months,4 months).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

mulbot wrote: »

What about that time you acted dumb to all vaccinations, like, 8 or so posts ago, and now seem to have knowledge of each vaccine, meaning you can also look up why they are given when they are given, without asking other kind posters to give answers to questions which you clearly already know the answer.

If you want to make a statement, or accuse someone of lying, then do it, stop hiding behind snivelly little "and what about this case" questions.

astrofool wrote: »
    What about that time you acted dumb to all vaccinations, like, 8 or so posts ago, and now seem to have knowledge of each vaccine, meaning you can also look up why they are given when they are given, without asking other kind posters to give answers to questions which you clearly already know the answer.

If you want to make a statement, or accuse someone of lying, then do it, stop hiding behind snivelly little "and what about this case" questions.

You mean yesterday? Well if you noticed, other posters sent links,it doesn't take long to look information up. Once again,I was asking other posters questions,not you,so mind your own business when i'm not directing a question to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

It was tested on children prior to approval and this was found to be the safest time to give it. It's not given after 8 months due to an increased risk of a blocked bowel. Unvaccinated kids get the same blocked bowel too but with vaccinations there is 1 or 2 extra cases per 100,000 doses.

Hugely successful vaccination program with over 300 million doses given to babies. Reduction in hospitalisation, due to the virus, of up to 96% in somes places.

jh79 wrote: »
    It was tested on children prior to approval and this was found to be the safest time to give it. It's not given after 8 months due to an increased risk of a blocked bowel. Unvaccinated kids get the same blocked bowel too but with vaccinations there is 1 or 2 extra cases per 100,000 doses.

Hugely successful vaccination program with over 300 million doses given to babies. Reduction in hospitalisation, due to the virus, of up to 96% in somes places.

Thanks for the info. My query was (following on from the immune compromised questions )more about whether infants or babies get tested for a weakened/compromised immune system before being given a vaccine.As one poster replied the MMR is given at 1 year, as they explained that health issues would be noticed by then. What if a 2 month old had a weakened system but hadn't being diagnosed but was given a live vaccine ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

mulbot wrote:
    whether infants or babies get tested for a weakened/compromised immune system before being given a vaccine.As one poster replied the MMR is given at 1 year, as they explained that health issues would be noticed by then. What if a 2 month old had a weakened system but hadn't being diagnosed but was given a live vaccine ?
    Being immunocompromised isnt a diagnosis in itself.
    Certain people are automatically considered immunocompromised. Babies, the elderly, people with pre-existing diseases.

Vaccines are never designed to cause disease in anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Thanks for the info. My query was (following on from the immune compromised questions )more about whether infants or babies get tested for a weakened/compromised immune system before being given a vaccine.As one poster replied the MMR is given at 1 year, as they explained that health issues would be noticed by then. What if a 2 month old had a weakened system but hadn't being diagnosed but was given a live vaccine ?
    Newborns get blood tests, that highlights immunity issues. Can even have foresight of such issues prior to birth.

Being immunocompromised isnt a diagnosis in itself.
    Certain people are automatically considered immunocompromised. Babies, the elderly, people with pre-existing diseases.

Vaccines are never designed to cause disease in anyone.

Yes it is, you can get tested for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

mulbot wrote:
    There are tests to determine immune deficiency.
    I'm saying certain people can be categoried as an immunocompromised based on their age or what illness they may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

You can get tested for diseases caused by vaccines?? :confused: I don't follow your logic here.

• Advertisement

rawn wrote: »
    You can get tested for diseases caused by vaccines?? :confused: I don't follow your logic here.

Think you misunderstood something here, I was answering the other poster about getting tested for a compromised immune system. Nothing to do with Vaccines at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,954 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Skeptical Raptor's published his top-ten articles list debunking anti-vax and other pseudoscience mythology. Some goodies there (Japan bans Gardasil! So-and-so's kid dies from vaccination! Bananas prevent cancer!)

https://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/2018-top-ten-list-skeptical-raptor/#The_official_2018_top_ten_list_of_articles

• Registered Users Posts: 38,760 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Igotadose wrote: »
    Skeptical Raptor's published his top-ten articles list debunking anti-vax and other pseudoscience mythology. Some goodies there (Japan bans Gardasil! So-and-so's kid dies from vaccination! Bananas prevent cancer!)

https://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/2018-top-ten-list-skeptical-raptor/#The_official_2018_top_ten_list_of_articles

Relating to the MSG article...

I'll just mention one thing from my direct experience.
    For 30 years and more I've tended to avoid pre-processed and packaged foods. Whenever I eat them, I sometimes enjoy them, but I also notice I want to eat more. Hmm...
    A long time back I put two and two together and possibly came up with five anna half, I don't know, but there seemed to me (directly, I only relate my own experience) there was a correlation of some sort between the presence of MSG and my appetite.
    It's my contention that some individuals are affected by the presence of MSG not just as a flavour enhancer (and I do like it for that) but also as an appetite stimulant.

Anyway, I only throw that in as a side note to the debate. Make of it what you will. I'd also like to point out that I do have some scientific background and training, fwiw, I'm not just coming at this half-cocked and because I'm anti-science like most of these loons; far from it.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

sullivlo wrote: »

The article states they don't know if she got the flu shot or not, they're just assuming she didn't. Fox News at its finest!

Anyways it just shows how dangerous the flu can be, she went from perfectly healthy to dead within 2 days, and at such a young age. An awful tragedy, vaxxed or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭skepticalme

sullivlo wrote: »

This is not true. She was not against vaccines and had her flu vaccine according to those who knew her.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,148 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This is not true. She was not against vaccines and had her flu vaccine according to those who knew her.

Source?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Source?

No clue on if she was vaccinated but inclined to say the only proof that she was antivax is flimsy.

https://twitter.com/Bre_payton/status/80193161552605184?s=19

7 years old so it's speculation to assume she still held that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, nothing really around to suggest that she was actively anti-vax or had made any decision not to get a flu vaccination. 19 year olds share/retweet all sorts of nonsense on social media. A conservative christian girl in the US is very likely to be anti-vax until they're exposed to information outside of their immediate community.

It was really just a freak complication of H1N1 rather than some kind of poetic justice.

WHO just published a '10 threats to global health' report. Vaccine hesitancy is in the top 10, due to "Complacency, inconvenience and lack of confidence."

30 cases of wild poliovirus last year in Afghanistan and Pakistan - so Polio's still not 100% gone. 30% increase in measles globally.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/ten-threats-to-global-health-in-2019

• Advertisement

This year's flu is a bad one per the latest from the CDC: https://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/2018-2019-flu-season-interim-statistics-7-million-cases/. 42 dead in California alone.

FWIW I personally know several people who have or have had the flu here in Corca Dhuibhne, just ran into a friend yesterday coming out of the Doctors who said, "Stay away I've got the flu!"

Get your jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭juanjo

This year's flu is a bad one per the latest from the CDC: https://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/2018-2019-flu-season-interim-statistics-7-million-cases/. 42 dead in California alone.

FWIW I personally know several people who have or have had the flu here in Corca Dhuibhne, just ran into a friend yesterday coming out of the Doctors who said, "Stay away I've got the flu!"

Get your jab.

I see in your nicknane that you did already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I know someone whose brother was vaccine injured and left severely disabled. It definitely was due to a vaccine and he received a payout from the government to go towards his lifetime care as he will never live independently. She has decided not to vaccinate her child for this reason and i completely understand why she would feel this way. Yes, cases like that are rare but they do happen. Not everyone who chooses not to vaccinate are crazy conspiracy theorists

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I know someone whose brother was vaccine injured and left severely disabled. It definitely was due to a vaccine and he received a payout from the government to go towards his lifetime care as he will never live independently. She has decided not to vaccinate her child for this reason and i completely understand why she would feel this way. Yes, cases like that are rare but they do happen. Not everyone who chooses not to vaccinate are crazy conspiracy theorists
    Maybe so, but by not vaccinating her kids, your friend is compromising herd immunity and endangering the rest of the community

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

How was her brother "vaccine injured", what are the details?

Dohnjoe wrote: »

He was left brain damaged and with a seizure disorder which results in multiple seizures a day. He was perfectly fine before receiving the vaccine and several doctors testified in court that the vaccine was the cause and the court ruled in their favour. This was in the US years ago where a compensation fund was set up for vaccine injuries. The details are all online and my friend actually carries them with her so she she can show people when they start having a go at her which has happened at doctor's offices etc.

My own child has been fully vaccinated but I totally understand her reasons for not doing so and I would probably do the same in her position tbh.

He was left brain damaged and with a seizure disorder which results in multiple seizures a day. He was perfectly fine before receiving the vaccine and several doctors testified in court that the vaccine was the cause and the court ruled in their favour. This was in the US years ago where a compensation fund was set up for vaccine injuries. The details are all online and my friend actually carries them with her so she she can show people when they start having a go at her which has happened at doctor's offices etc.

My own child has been fully vaccinated but I totally understand her reasons for not doing so and I would probably do the same in her position tbh.

Was this the case? https://www.irishtimes.com/news/vaccine-case-resulted-in-pounds-2-75m-award-1.88495

"KENNETH Best, who was severely brain damaged after he was given a whooping cough vaccine as a baby, was paid Pounds 2.75 million in the High Court in May 1993"

Was this the case? https://www.irishtimes.com/news/vaccine-case-resulted-in-pounds-2-75m-award-1.88495

"KENNETH Best, who was severely brain damaged after he was given a whooping cough vaccine as a baby, was paid Pounds 2.75 million in the High Court in May 1993"

No, it was in the states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

No, it was in the states.
    In the States, you could find doctors who would say literally anything in court for a few bob. I don't think it's as bad here.

• Advertisement

Dohnjoe wrote: »

Can you share the link please, I'd love to read up on this!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement