Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Hunt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Dades wrote: »
    The temporary delay and all the hullabaloo is a nice bit of publicity.

When this does come out a lot more people are going to be interested than would usually be for this type of low budget fare.

Marketing ploy? Sounds plausible, and probable. People's memory of this will fade, so we can expect another piece of hype just before it's release to refocus attention. Low budget tactics of 'hyping to deceive'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

When? I can't see anywhere that says a new date.

FYI - #nospoilers the trailer is a bit crap.

So you believe The Hunt is going away forever, never to be viewed by anyone again? Locked in a deep dark dungeon?

The studio has pulled it from the release date because of recent events in the US that could affect it's box-office. They are burying it forever.

What do you mean by "#nospoilers the trailer is a bit crap"?

Marketing ploy? Sounds plausible, and probable. People's memory of this will fade, so we can expect another piece of hype just before it's release to refocus attention. Low budget tactics of 'hyping to deceive'.

I don't think Dades means the studio are delaying the release as a marketing tactic - I think he just means that the whoopty-do results in a nice bit of publicity.

I don't think Dades means the studio are delaying the release as a marketing tactic - I think he just means that the whoopty-do results in a nice bit of publicity.

Oh yeah. Note to self; read post properly.:D

Oh yeah. Note to self; read post properly.:D

The only reason I watch The Interview was because of the whoopty-do.

I wish now I hadn't fallen for it :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

releasing it on september 27th as planned they would benefit from the controversy

releasing it on september 27th as planned would have benefit for the controversy

By end of September the Yanks would forgot the recent shootings.

The issue is the marketing - always has to start well in advance and can pop up everywhere like billboards and TV. This is what people would have an issue with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

By the end of September it's entirely likely there'll be another mass shooting. Postponement in a country with more shootings than days in the year makes no sense.

Which reminds, has it been confirmed postponed or cancelled? Cos presumably Blumhouse would prefer the former, but if Universal are going with the latter you better believe Jason Blum is shopping the film right this minute.

pixelburp wrote: »
    By the end of September it's entirely likely there'll be another mass shooting. Postponement in a country with more shootings than days in the year makes no sense.

Which reminds, has it been confirmed postponed or cancelled? Cos presumably Blumhouse would prefer the former, but if Universal are going with the latter you better believe Jason Blum is shopping the film right this minute.

This is not the first film or TV show to have delayed/resceduled a release because of shootings, kidnappings, murders, etc.

The all get released sooner rather than later. The next mass shooting won't be a big deal and the film comes out.

Media sites are saying the film release cancelled and such but that is just them jumping on a bandwagon. Universal announced it was not releasing it as planned. I do not think the said cancelled.

Blumhouseand Universal have a very good relationship and Varity (I think) say the majority of executives at Universal "support" Jason Blum. It didn't say why or what that support was about - maybe Blum pushed for the release to headband the majority backed him but the higher ups decided no. Or it is just that the situation is an unwanted hassle but no-one blames Blumhouse.

Anyway Blum won't shop The Hunt elsewhere unless Universal really don't want it. However, most likely they just want let thinks calm down a bit and come up with an alternate marketing campaign I case there is another shooting.

From Empire -

"While Universal Pictures had already paused the marketing campaign for The Hunt, after thoughtful consideration, the studio has decided to cancel our plans to release the film," a spokesperson for Universal said in a statement picked up by Variety. "We stand by our filmmakers and will continue to distribute films in partnership with bold and visionary creators, like those associated with this satirical social thriller, but we understand that now is not the right time to release this film."

Empire have jumped on the bandwagon too saying "Films have often been delayed because of real-world events, though this feels more permanent".

There is absolutely nothing to suggest that this film is getting buried in some mysterious vault somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

noticed watching the Loudest Voice a very criticial TV show about Fox TV CEO Roger Ailes was produced by BlumHouse

noticed watching how the Loudest Voice a very crticial TV show about Roger Ailes was produced by BlumHouse

Is that the Russell Crowe in a fat suit one? I thought it was out for ages.

Didn't know Blumhouse did anything except horror.

I'm really hoping they restart the Universal Monster shared world idea that Universal tried with Dark Universe. I enjoyed Te Mummy and was looking forward to the others.

I read Blumhouse took over the concept and were going going to do smaller scale with more horror than action/adventure. I' enjoy that too but really want some Dracula vs Frankenstein vs Creature from the Black Laggon shenanigans.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The all get released sooner rather than later.
    Unless Kevin Spacey is in it. :p

They should wait a year and release it in the run-up to the US presidential election. That would be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

So you believe The Hunt is going away forever, never to be viewed by anyone again? Locked in a deep dark dungeon?

I didn't say that. You just had an air to your posts that a certain release date was out there, when there isn't. This could end up eventually going straight DVD/streaming and released without anyone noticing or caring.
    What do you mean by "#nospoilers the trailer is a bit crap"?

Didn't think I'd need to explain but I'll refer to your earlier post.
    I don't want to watch the trailer because of spoilers but are other Elites shown as liberals too or just Swank? How is she identified in the trailer as liberal?

seems like Universal it pulled entirely https://variety.com/2019/film/news/the-hunt-canceled-universal-betty-gilpin-hilary-swank-emma-roberts-1203298774/

why would "liberals" hunt people ??

co-written by Damon Lindelof
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8244784/

probably never get an answer, its fine if its satire but is the satire actually played out or is it all setup ?
    I assumed this was a misunderstanding based on Trump's ramblings because if the film is "anti-conservative" then why would the liberals be the ones doing the hunting? It would be the other way around.

I was fairly sure the synopsis I read a couple of weeks ago stated it was a rich vs. poor notion.

Nice little piece from The Week magazine;

489085.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well, it's back. Shouldn't have been too surprised, there's money to be made and films are rarely, truly canned. Plus as the saying goes, there really isn't any such thing as bad publicity. I suspect this, like Joker, may yet be another film to benefit from the Streisand Effect and do mega business...

oi9waqaoh3tpkiml2b5q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Gah! I've got to catch up on GLOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,280 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Still no release date for here or the UK however other European countries have a release date late April and early May.

March 11th release date here in Ireland.

Hasn't felt very marketed. Feels like it'll need some big word-of-mouth to make money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Slydice wrote: »
    Hasn't felt very marketed. Feels like it'll need some big word-of-mouth to make money.

It's a low budget Blumhouse production. The "controversy" was worth 10 times what they would have ever spent on marketing.

Homelander wrote: »
    It's a low budget Blumhouse production

Ah Blumhouse! If I remember correctly his film only tend to need to made tens of millions back.. not the 100s of millions that others are banking on.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,981 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is that Morgan from The Mindy Project?

Opens tomorrow I'll have to wait till next week to go see it and that's if the cornavirus hasn't stopped cinemas from opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Now on sky movies!
    As well as the invisible man

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

This sounds like a William Castle picture. All guff and gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,981 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

gmisk wrote: »
    Now on sky movies!
    As well as the invisible man

Store or Premiere?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Store or Premiere?
    Store sorry should have said

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Watched it twice really enjoyed it Betty Gilpin was excellent as was the rest of the cast including Hillary Swank and a. Lot of great supporting actors like Ethan Suplee and Ike Barinholtz. Also Glad US iTunes offered this in 4K made it worth the $20 rental

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Cancelled firstly for shootings in America, and again because of a global pandemic.. bad times!

Shame this won't get seen by many cause it's a nice enjoyable romp, Betty Gilpin is great.

Advertisement