Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quality of Ted Baker mens clothes

• 29-12-2013 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

Any opinions on the quality of clothes in Ted Baker, dropped into the store on Grafton St and noticed alot of the mens clothes are made in China.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

personally i think the quality of ted baker clothing is good

just because it is made in china does not necessarly mean that the quality is bad, i know a lot of other well known brands sold in bt that are made in china but the quality is still excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

j4vier wrote: »
    personally i think the quality of ted baker clothing is good

just because it is made in china does not necessarly mean that the quality is bad, i know a lot of other well known brands sold in bt that are made in china but the quality is still excellent

The quality of all the main retailers/brands seems to be terrible. I find it very difficult to find good quality clothes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Hit and miss I find, though my wardrobe is still prodominently Ted Baker.

Shirts - Excellent
    Polo shirts - hit and miss
    T-shirts - hit and miss
    Jumpers - excellent
    Jeans - excellent
    Trousers - excellent
    Jackets etc - excellent
    Shoes and Accessories - well worth the investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

where do you generally shop? have you looked in BT?

i bought some hugo boss clothes there in the sales that felt like good quality and were still made in china.

tbh if you find the quality of those brands poor, you just have very high expectations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Most of the quality, if by quality you mean durability of seams, colour consistency etc, in an item is instilled at the design table, not on the cutting table or the machinist station. The choice of cloth and the method of construction are all more important than whether the machinist is sitting in a factory in Turkey, China or England tbh. The machinist, wherever they are, will just follow the instructions, be they to double or single stitch seams, use a chainstitch or flat etc and there's no reason Chinese machinists would be any better or worse at following the instructions

• Advertisement

Anyone one have any other suggestions for good quality items of clothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ted Baker is generally quite good quality, although certain items may not be as good as others. Hugo Boss is generally quite good too, as is proper Hilfiger tailored stuff.

Location doesn't really matter in this context, it's more about the quality of the fabric, the cut & design and the quality of the workmanship in assembling. A seamstress in China isn't necessarily worse than someone in Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

Lyle & Scott shirts and jumpers are good quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

The quality of all the main retailers/brands seems to be terrible. I find it very difficult to find good quality clothes.

It's true but thats because the Irish LOVE a logo and will happily pay a premium just for this as they associate it with quality. Remove that logo and most wouldn't probably pay 50% of retail because it's simply not worth it.
    And yes made in China is in general of poor quality from my experience.

padi89 wrote: »
    It's true but thats because the Irish LOVE a logo and will happily pay a premium just for this as they associate it with quality. Remove that logo and most wouldn't probably pay 50% of retail because it's simply not worth it.

Too true and as far as I can see, the clothes are all effectively teenagers clothes.

Too bad the tailoring trade is effectively dead in this country.

• Advertisement

Where do you buy quality clothes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Too true and as far as I can see, the clothes are all effectively teenagers clothes.

Too bad the tailoring trade is effectively dead in this country.

One disease is the excessively tight shirts and trousers that are supposedly intended for men - as a man, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. These I call corsets and tights and IMO look ridiculous on most Irish men - for example, spot the dwarf legs (a minority thankfully) when out and about - it seriously looks uncool. IMO, properly tailored boot-cut trousers or jeans (a very slight flare from the knee) are what's best - not too short or too long (hem sitting around the top of the sole or a little below) - boot cut jeans seem quite popular with men, many of which look quite well.

As for many fashion shirts, it's men they're meant to fit, not boys - thankfully, I haven't seen too many of what appears to be old school shirts on men recently - seriously, that's how many of these tight shirts look - there seems to be a big push regarding this fad in the US at the moment - just have a look at some of those sites to see what I mean, and yes, they are sights.

Thank God for the upcoming 3d printer that will hopefully be printing clothes. If the current fashion shops are not careful, the 3d print shops may wipe them out in the future as the technology improves.

Where do you buy quality clothes?

Everything online, i only have one pair of boots i bought here.

Middle Man wrote: »
    boot-cut trousers or jeans (a very slight flare from the knee) are what's best - not too short or too long (hem sitting around the top of the sole or a little below) - boot cut jeans seem quite popular with men, many of which look quite well.

:eek: NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO !!! Can someone tell me why there is such an obsession in this country with bootcut jeans ? Seriously they are an awful cut, does everyone want to look like Jeremy Clarkson?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

:eek: NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO !!! Can someone tell me why there is such an obsession in this country with bootcut jeans ? Seriously they are an awful cut, does everyone want to look like Jeremy Clarkson?
    Yes this! Closely followed by hidious super dry jackets..

Well they're better than male tights and at least they don't advertize the shorter leg length that many Irish men have. I have an average leg length myself and would not advertize even that - as a man, I try to look as tall as possible and the boot-cut trousers that I have lend well to that principle. Of course I'm not talking about doing Elvis on it, but a very slight flare out of the lower leg allows the fabric to sit neatly around the shoe - this is IMO a far better and sharper solution for avoiding excessive folds of fabric around the shoe than having trousers cut too short - you don't want bags around the ankles when walking - it's horrible.

Oh the old "they're better than skinnies", why does it have to be one or the other with Irish men? There are other cuts to choose from, straights or slim straights for example look miles better than bootcut and thats a fact, theres a reason you never see bootcut pants from good designers ..... ..... they look sh1t.

Bootcut jeans make your legs look shorter with little or no shape below the knee they look stumpy.If you want to make your legs look longer you need a straight cut or footwear with a heal (no david brent).If your tapering your pants below the knee then they are no longer bootcut but a taper cut. Bootcut flare out below the knee, straight are straight below the knee and taper is tapered below the knee. It's pretty simple really its just basic shapes.

Everything online, i only have one pair of boots i bought here.

Where online? I have a hard time finding my size clothes in shops here - particularly shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Besides being a cliche, I do think that boot cut make people look shorter.

I like the current suiting vogue for straight-leg, flat front pants, which look great on men (assuming no paunch of course). If a pants is too long, then you get it taken up. A pants leg that sits nicely on the shoe, with no flare, is the best way to lengthen a leg.

I've got some boot cut trousers and actually, I'm quite happy with them - they look very sharp and make my average legs look long - I also have them quite neat (not tight though) around the crotch which prevents the baggy look. If the shops can't provide me with what I want in the future, I can see myself availing of 3d printing in a few years - seriously can't wait for this technology to evolve when I'll be able to give the fashion industry the two fingers! :)

When I choose my clothes (which I always do alone), I don't give a damn about what others want - it's what I want and what I think looks good on me. I know I'm very critical of other trends here, but I've decided on "two can play that game..." since it seems that men nowadays have no right to choose for themselves - well that very concept needs to be challenged.

• Advertisement

Oh the old "they're better than skinnies", why does it have to be one or the other with Irish men? There are other cuts to choose from, straights or slim straights for example look miles better than bootcut and thats a fact, theres a reason you never see bootcut pants from good designers ..... ..... they look sh1t.

Bootcut jeans make your legs look shorter with little or no shape below the knee they look stumpy.If you want to make your legs look longer you need a straight cut or footwear with a heal (no david brent).If your tapering your pants below the knee then they are no longer bootcut but a taper cut. Bootcut flare out below the knee, straight are straight below the knee and taper is tapered below the knee. It's pretty simple really its just basic shapes.

Slim cut trousers/jeans look bad on most men - you need to be very thin with long legs for such to look reasonable in any manner. Straight cut jeans suit some men but by no means all.

dudara wrote: »
    Besides being a cliche, I do think that boot cut make people look shorter.

I like the current suiting vogue for straight-leg, flat front pants, which look great on men (assuming no paunch of course). If a pants is too long, then you get it taken up. A pants leg that sits nicely on the shoe, with no flare, is the best way to lengthen a leg.

You do have to consider how trousers look on a man while walking - many are too short and start bagging around the ankles - this looks horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Zara are best for jeans and trousers. A slim leg ( its not skinny, but looks tailored) is ideal for a Irish man. Boot cut makes an Irish man look 4 stone heavier than he is. Plus anyone who wears anything that is stone washed needs their head examined. If it didn't look well on Justin timberlake, it wouldn't look well on a fifty year old man with a beer belly.

Most of Zara's stuff is made in Europe or turkey so its pretty good quality. A designer company that makes stuff in china cares only about their profit margin and not quality.

hfallada wrote: »
    Zara are best for jeans and trousers. A slim leg ( its not skinny, but looks tailored) is ideal for a Irish man. Boot cut makes an Irish man look 4 stone heavier than he is. Plus anyone who wears anything that is stone washed needs their head examined. If it didn't look well on Justin timberlake, it wouldn't look well on a fifty year old man with a beer belly.

Most of Zara's stuff is made in Europe or turkey so its pretty good quality. A designer company that makes stuff in china cares only about their profit margin and not quality.

You seem to assume that all boot cut pants are baggy - well this is totally wrong!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 447 ✭✭Pen.Island

Before I was independent I wore jeans bought by my parents. I always wore bootcut and I hated them, but I just presume they were the only ones available.

Now I wear straightcut, so much more comfy! Who wants material flopping around the bottom of your leg??

Pen.Island wrote: »
    Before I was independent I wore jeans bought by my parents. I always wore bootcut and I hated them, but I just presume they were the only ones available.

Now I wear straightcut, so much more comfy! Who wants material flopping around the bottom of your leg??

Material flopping? It depends on whether the pants are cut correctly IMO. Many boot cut jeans worn up to about 2010 were miles too long and would have made my trousers (back crease finishing at the sole of the shoe that is) look like shorts. If that's what you're talking about, material flopping around the bottom of your legs would come as no surprise then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Ted Baker suits can be divided into two groups.
    The pricey stuff is usually really excellent quality, very durable, thick material well suited to Irish weather.
    Anything below about €450 per suit tends to be very cheap feeling, paper like material, badly cut and badly designed.

The variance between TB product lines is way more than the variance in quality between a good Ted Baker suit and a good Hugo Boss suit.

For the record, when I mean boot cut jeans, I mean this!

Slim cut trousers/jeans look bad on most men - you need to be very thin with long legs for such to look reasonable in any manner. Straight cut jeans suit some men but by no means all.

You don't need to be tall and rail thin to wear slim jeans, the clue is really in the name "slim", if your in reasonable shape they look good on most. If your more built then yes a straight jean will usually be better suited that's why I mentioned both. A straight cut is the most universal cut and flatters majority of men, it's bog standard. Bootcut jeans don't really flatter any shape, middle aged men like to wear them because they watch too much top gear and think Jeremy Clarkson looks cool.

• Advertisement

For the record, when I mean boot cut jeans, I mean this!

No boot cut jean will look better than a properly fitting straight or slim leg pair.

They're just dated and awful looking.

Advertisement